Wiki Posts
Search

CBP did not stamp my passport?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
CBP did not stamp my passport?!

I recently got to the US via Toronto and they did not stamp my non US passport. Will I get problems boarding my cruise in Miami in a few days as they won‘t find a stamp? On my recent cruises that seemed to be all they were looking for during check-in.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, you won't.

It has been 10+ years since CBP has stamped all passports. If you collect the stamps and your passport isn't stamped, you can ask the Officer to do so.

But, nobody will notice or care. The information regarding your entry is all in CBP's system.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
FWIW.....the CBP in YYC stopped doing this in about 2015. Never caused me any issues anywhere i have travelled while connecting thru the US.

Sorry but I don't do cruises, so I cannot help there.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The US doesn't have exit immigration, so no one is ever going to be looking for that stamp.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If necessary, U.S. lawful record of admission and arrival and departure history for the past 5 years are available on the I-94 Website.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
The US very rarely stamps passports these days.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by reclusive46
The US very rarely stamps passports these days.
My passport is littered with stamps from CBP (on a visa waiver country non us passport) from the last 5 years.

that being said, due to the absence of exit immigration they are little more than souveniers.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Muerz
I recently got to the US via Toronto and they did not stamp my non US passport. Will I get problems boarding my cruise in Miami in a few days as they won‘t find a stamp? On my recent cruises that seemed to be all they were looking for during check-in.
Boarding in Miami won’t be an issue. CBP doesn’t man the terminals for exit checks. The cruise line agent will only be interested in you having a passport that has not expired.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:43 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wackyflyer

My passport is littered with stamps from CBP (on a visa waiver country non us passport) from the last 5 years.

that being said, due to the absence of exit immigration they are little more than souveniers.
I'm guessing he was referring to US passports which pre-GE, was very hit or miss (well, mostly miss) for me.

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Apr 10, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

I'm guessing he was referring to US passports which pre-GE, was very hit or miss (well, mostly miss) for me.
Most countries don't stamp their own passports.

The US *usually* stamps foreign passports when arriving by air (excluding trusted travelers) but not always. As pointed out above, CBP has a fully electronic scheme for keeping track of how long foreigners stay in the country.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

Not in my case. My Canadian passport has only ever been stamped once (and it didn’t even have a leave by date on it) and my partners British passport is stamped maybe 10% of the time. Usual POEs are Calgary, LAX, Dublin and Dallas. (Although seen as Canadians can enter the US via a plenitude of documents that can’t be stamped, I guess it’s pretty pointless).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles
First time using GE

I just flew back from overseas into JFK yesterday, and it was the first time I used my GE. The reciept printed by the kiosk was stamped, but not my actual passport.

The last time I flew internationally 9 years ago, they did stamp my passport in the regular US citizen line.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Just to give you an update on the situation. They gave me a really hard time upon boarding the cruise ship since I‘m not a US citizen and they couldn‘t find the entry stamp. At first they weren‘t going to allow me onboard but then a second supervisor came and the Esta confirmation was enough to board. If I hadn‘t had a printout of my Esta, I don‘t know if they were going to let me onboard.

So, for future reference, non-US citizens, get a stamp and have an Esta printout if you‘re doing a cruise.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Muerz
Just to give you an update on the situation. They gave me a really hard time upon boarding the cruise ship since I‘m not a US citizen and they couldn‘t find the entry stamp. At first they weren‘t going to allow me onboard but then a second supervisor came and the Esta confirmation was enough to board. If I hadn‘t had a printout of my Esta, I don‘t know if they were going to let me onboard.

So, for future reference, non-US citizens, get a stamp and have an Esta printout if you‘re doing a cruise.
Ridiculous... I had a similar headache a couple of days ago.

My trip started in YUL. I have GE/Nexus and was using my Canadian passport - I entered the US with no stamp, as I normally always do. I then went to MIA and boarded a plane to Venezuela. As I was departing Venezuela to return to the USA, the Venezuelan customs agent asked me if I had flown directly Canada-Venezuela. I said that I did not and that I had connected through the USA. He then asked me where my most recent USA entry stamp was, as he saw a 2016 entry stamp, dating from a J1 visa. I told him because I had GE/Nexus, they don't stamp my passport anymore. He asked me how long I've had GE/Nexus for, I told him about 1-2 years. He then said "OK, I see, because you have GE/Nexus, they don't stamp your passport anymore when entering the USA. OK, go ahead".

However, when I entered MIA later that day, the CBP agent stamped by passport! I'm pretty sure the next time I see a Venezuelan customs agent, it won't be as easy convincing him why I don't have a USA entry stamp...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Ridiculous... I had a similar headache a couple of days ago.

My trip started in YUL. I have GE/Nexus and was using my Canadian passport - I entered the US with no stamp, as I normally always do. I then went to MIA and boarded a plane to Venezuela. As I was departing Venezuela to return to the USA, the Venezuelan customs agent asked me if I had flown directly Canada-Venezuela. I said that I did not and that I had connected through the USA. He then asked me where my most recent USA entry stamp was, as he saw a 2016 entry stamp, dating from a J1 visa. I told him because I had GE/Nexus, they don't stamp my passport anymore. He asked me how long I've had GE/Nexus for, I told him about 1-2 years. He then said "OK, I see, because you have GE/Nexus, they don't stamp your passport anymore when entering the USA. OK, go ahead".

However, when I entered MIA later that day, the CBP agent stamped by passport! I'm pretty sure the next time I see a Venezuelan customs agent, it won't be as easy convincing him why I don't have a USA entry stamp...
Techically your GE/NEXUS kiosk receipt is your entry stamp, so I would've shown that.

I keep those with my passport for the duration of the relevant trip. That said, they get crumpled and disintegrate far too easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.