Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with brand new electronics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They are all supposed to have some kind of limited charge when shipped from the factories, so that shouldn't be a problem. But IIRC Apple used to recommend something like fully charging the phone battery before using them unplugged. I don't know if that would be a reason for me to avoid wanting an open-boxed phone or not, but for some it may be. Just something to consider if playing the re-sale market for these devices.
Opening the boxes for inspection won’t be a problem as these phones will be for gifts.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They are all supposed to have some kind of limited charge when shipped from the factories, so that shouldn't be a problem. But IIRC Apple used to recommend something like fully charging the phone battery before using them unplugged. I don't know if that would be a reason for me to avoid wanting an open-boxed phone or not, but for some it may be. Just something to consider if playing the re-sale market for these devices.
It's a basic precaution for any rechargeable battery pack with multiple cells in series.

The problem is that different cells may lose charge at different rates. You can run one cell out while another is still delivering plenty of power. As the power fails you can end up with a reverse bias across the weaker cell--and that's not a good thing!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:35 pm

Traveling with brand new electronics

So I will be flying AA ORD-NRT. I have bought a brand new Macbook Air and would ideally like to gift it sealed, but will they force me to open it in Chicago or Japan? Also, since it is sealed someone else could come and just claim it too. What do you recommend?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by federernadal
So I will be flying AA ORD-NRT. I have bought a brand new Macbook Air and would ideally like to gift it sealed, but will they force me to open it in Chicago or Japan? Also, since it is sealed someone else could come and just claim it too. What do you recommend?
Ship it.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm not sure what you mean by saying someone else could "claim it." (I'm hoping you're not thinking of checking it.) If you're worried, put it in a larger box or within your carry on (presuming you're PreCheck eligible).
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:29 pm

I mean in all the chaos that is Airport security when you pull it out of your bag and put it in a separate bin (I assume you have to do this at NRT and ORD)?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I mean in all the chaos that is Airport security when you pull it out of your bag and put it in a separate bin (I assume you have to do this at NRT and ORD)?
You don't have to do it in NRT. Are you TSA-Precheck? How long in the future is your flight? Maybe enough time to get TSA?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No different than someone walking off with your laptop not in a box. Just keep a general eye on it.

Also, honestly, consumer electronics are so cheap. No one is going to steal it - especially in an airport where every square inch has cameras.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If someone is going to steal it from the belt, they are going to steal it whether it is boxed, bagged or simply out in the open. So, that is a non-issue.

Leave it sealed.

There is a remote chance that TSA will require you to open it and there is a remote chance that you will be required to open it as part of a customs inspection on arrival at NRT. If that happens, open the box. Then reseal it and put a ribbon on it.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
"Wow!! A new MacBook Air! Thank...wait, has this been...re-sealed? Uh. no thank you"

Don't over-think it. Take it as carry-on
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:46 pm

Catbert10 you mean unbox it and take it as a carry-on or leave it sealed as a carryon?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:30 am

New iPad and stylus in a box - TSA

Just purchased a new iPad and stylus as a gift for someone. Both are in manufacture-wrapped boxes. Part of the pleasure of receiving Apple products is in the unwrapping. Can I pass through TSA with these items still in the box, unwrapped?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta, United
Easily if you have PreCheck. If not, I would just put the iPad box and all into the bin. In all likelihood it should be fine with the screener.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Easily if you have PreCheck. If not, I would just put the iPad box and all into the bin. In all likelihood it should be fine with the screener.
Thank you FUTR!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A few months ago I was traveling with new, unopened electronic door locks as a PreCheck passenger and took the boxes out of the carry-on bag and placed them individually in the bin without opening the boxes. All of the boxes got their shrink-wrap removed and were opened up to look at the devices.

A few months before my travel party was traveling with some new iPads and new Macbooks as PreCheck passengers and we didn't have to remove any of them from even the carry-ons.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.