Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Old Oct 24, 17, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Anybody ever use this ? The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service for U.S. citizens and nationals who are traveling or living abroad. STEP allows you to enter information about trips abroad so that the Department of State, via our embassies and consulates, can better assist you in an emergency. You can also subscribe to receive email updates with travel alerts and other information for a particular country.

Typically we donít bother but for an upcoming trip weíre visiting a couple of countries in the Middle East where because of her job my wife has to inform the US Embassy of her presence. She has to list her traveling companions so I get caught up in that requirement. I guess it canít hurt and in our specific case we have no choice.
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I did in 2015.

I received three travel notifications since then, one alert for worldwide travel in November 2015 and two travel warnings for Israel, the West Bank and Gaza in December 2015 and April of this year. The only useful information in those emails was contact information for US consular services in case of emergencies.

Personally, I have no problem with US consular officials having my contact information when I'm abroad for cases of emergency. However, now that I use Verizon's TravelPass and can be reached on my cellphone just about anywhere in the world, that is no longer a necessity in places where I usually travel.

Currently, my primarily use of the site to keep my up to date emergency contacts information for when I travel.
Old Oct 24, 17, 12:06 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I've registered because I live abroad (in Cyprus). I occasionally get notices from the US Consular Services here about planned protests in the country. But I've never received any info useful to me.
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I always register my international trips with STEP.
Old Oct 26, 17, 12:51 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I used it once and received nothing useful. When I tried to register a subsequent trip, I couldn't remember the password and at that time it gave me no option to recover my password.

So now I don't bother with it.
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:04 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't think this service is intended to routinely provide you with useful information. Rather, it's meant to enable the government to communicate with you in an emergency, such as civil unrest or a natural disaster that requires an evacuation.

I haven't ever used it but maybe I should.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please let me remind you that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

This is the place to ask questions and receive information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Please refer to this forum's sticky post for additional details.

If you wish to debate or comment on the merit or government use or abuse of this program, you are welcome to do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread