Wiki Posts
Search

Potatoes in hand luggage - UK security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Potatoes in hand luggage - UK security

Bit of an odd question I know but bear with me

There's a particular type of potato I can only find in Scotland (Roosters if anyone is interested) so I've thought of bringing some back to the SE (of England - added context) when I next visit family there

Am I able to take these as hand luggage through security for a domestic flight or do these need to go as checked baggage?

Last edited by AyeCaramba; Aug 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm Reason: added context
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:53 am

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would worry more about bringing them into the USA. Potatoes though a tuber, could be considered to be a plant or a seed (i.e. stick them into the ground and they will grow). As such, I would check first with the USDA/CBP. Because when in doubt they are going to go into the garbage.

That said Rooster Potatoes can be found in the USA and are actually from Ireland.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're a plant. The question is if they'll make it through agricultural inspection.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

When I say SE I mean south eastern England - I'm travelling wholly domestically within the UK
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Thanks - according to this I can and can't or maybe both!!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
I don't see where this says you can't.

Personally, I think you can. Give it a try. What have you got to loose? A few pounds?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
They're a plant. The question is if they'll make it through agricultural inspection.
I don't think you bringing potatoes to UK. Sorry! They won't let you to.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:37 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by N830MH
I don't think you bringing potatoes to UK. Sorry! They won't let you to.
He's bringing them from Scotland to England, Scotland and England are both part of the UK. There is no agricultural inspection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.