Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Middle Instead of First Name and Wrong DOB on Airline Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Say my name is
First Name:Sam
Middle Name: Rae
Last Name: Jonson
I usually go by my middle name because my mother and I share a name so it's less confusing
anywho someone booked a flight for me as
First name : Rae, Middle Initial: S, Last name: Jonson
Will that be an issue. This is my first ever flight. Domestic flying from Texas to Oregon
also the date of birth used when purchasing ticket online is incorrect
what should I do
flight booked with united airlines
reservation was made by someone else
i should mention I have the ticket purchaser a fake bday because we met online and I was skeptical so that's kind of my faul.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

The thread title was edited to accurately describe the OP's question.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
OP should contact the airline to correct this reservation's "Secure Flight Passenger Data".
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TSA will probably take issue with this. As you're flying domestically you probably won't have to verify your identity with the airline.
Does your ID have your full First Middle Last names on it so you can explain this to TSA?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:03 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
To be clear

The date of birth may be a bigger issue than the name for TSA. I'd contact United and see if it can be fixed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
TSA will probably take issue with this. As you're flying domestically you probably won't have to verify your identity with the airline.
Does your ID have your full First Middle Last names on it so you can explain this to TSA?
Yes my first middle and last names are on my id
the DOB is incorrect though. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal with the name. I've opened credit cards like this. Also just used to using middle name. Have same first name as mother so middle is how we differentiate

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 31, 2017 at 8:41 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Having a credit card in the name you commonly use may help you when it comes to TSA as mostly they want to see something that associates you to the ticket name. They often accept Costco cards as an ID but you'll have your gov't ID and a corroborating credit card. You should contact the airline to correct your name (secure flight info only) and DOB info. You may want to see if they can change the middle initial to be your full first name that way it just looks out of order.

Originally Posted by ANON22
Yes my first middle and last names are on my id
the DOB is incorrect though. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal with the name. I've opened credit cards like this. Also just used to using middle name. Have same first name as mother so middle is how we differentiate
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I contacted TSA and was told the name would not be an issue but will have airline correct the birthday
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Note that your birthdate isn't printed on your ticket or boarding pass, so TSA won't compare that with your ID when checking it at security. That said, I don't know how this will impact the secure flight data processing which is run a few days before you fly out and compares your name and date of birth with those of known terrorists and other bad people.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Considering that some airports no longer look at your BP at the TSA checkpoint (IAD Precheck), I'd want my BP to match my ID as best as possible.

Your question encouraged me to ask about this on FT here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.