Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

My parents-in-law have gone missing en route from Canada to Florida...contacts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My parents-in-law have gone missing en route from Canada to Florida...contacts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OP, I am glad you are getting things sorted out.

This is a wake-up call for me. I've taken short road trips, often camping, not much of a fixed itinerary. I rarely know from one day to the next exactly where I'll be that night or even what route I might end up taking.

I never gave it much thought, but I will in the future. I stupidly never stopped to think that I only carry a basic phone and often don't touch base with anyone in the family for a few days at a time. I won't do that in the future. If something happens to me, my family needs to at least have a clue where to begin looking.

Until this thread, I just never gave the matter any thought.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thanks all. Not sure I'm looking forward to the intervention discussion!

They can be hard discussions to have , especially sometimes in larger families when there are many differences of opinion when it comes to the care of elderly parents/family members. I wish the best for all involved and am happy to read they have been located .
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Big chunks of the I-95 corridor (between Canada and Florida) are on toll roads (ez-pass and others) are active. If someone driving on those stretches AND using electronic toll they can be tracked if you have acct numbers.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
We now have on-line access to their accounts, so have ben able to retrace some steps. It seems to me that the accident was just caused by tiredness leading to confusion. Luckily no one was hurt, but we've had the 'no more long drives' discussion, which went better than expected.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm so relieved that they were found. You and your wife must have been under terrible stress. Do they have a smart phone? Some of the parental controls such as "Find my Phone" might be helpful. Also, inputting your name as "London Elite Emergency Contact" might also help.

I'm the sole caregiver for my mom, who has mild dementia. She doesn't drive, though, but I'm afraid she'll jump on the bus and get confused about where she's headed. I put a dog tag with my phone number on her key chain "In case of emergency, contact: StartInSanDiego" . These situations are very touchy, since the elders are so reluctant to give up their independence in any way.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I'm so relieved that they were found. You and your wife must have been under terrible stress. Do they have a smart phone? Some of the parental controls such as "Find my Phone" might be helpful. Also, inputting your name as "London Elite Emergency Contact" might also help.

I'm the sole caregiver for my mom, who has mild dementia. She doesn't drive, though, but I'm afraid she'll jump on the bus and get confused about where she's headed. I put a dog tag with my phone number on her key chain "In case of emergency, contact: StartInSanDiego" . These situations are very touchy, since the elders are so reluctant to give up their independence in any way.
Seconded. When some of her relatives were here (competent but basically zero English) and wandering around the city on their own I asked them to carry a phone of ours with them just in case. I could track it if need be.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, thanks, they were all right but essentially the hard part starts now as they are very reluctant to give up their independence. All talk of care homes is met with 'talk to the hand.' We are going to step in delicately but forcefully to make these things happen, but it is never easy or pleasant. Distance makes it all the more complicated.

We have MedicAlert sorted out. I think a mobile phone (that they remember) will be a stretch too far!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Perhaps this resource will help smooth out the transition: Try www.care.com to get an "assistant" to come help for a few hours a few days a week. You will be inundated with qualified applicants. You can even set up a payroll system right through Care.com.

We've got an amazing young lady coming in, helping with errands and groceries, organizing my mom's photos (which have taken over the house) into photo albums, and generally keeping an eye on things. She lives about 2 miles away and pops in. She works full time with a very difficult dementia patient and, by contrast, simply adores my good natured mom. This young lady is a Godsend. I plan on upping her hours when I travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.