Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Samples Between the US and Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Samples Between the US and Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is a point. The products are handmade optical frames - most of them include a demo lens and would need a prescription lens to be installed before it could be 'sold', but there are sunglasses as well which fit the definition of a sellable product. I could leave out the sunglasses, but then I have the risk that someone will decide a frame with a demo lens is still a functional device.
I have bought optical frames online without prescription lenses. I then went to a local dispensing optician to have them fitted with my prescription.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
I have bought optical frames online without prescription lenses. I then went to a local dispensing optician to have them fitted with my prescription.
Right, but does a frame with a demo lens constitute a functional product or a sales aid...that's the key difference. I would hate to drive 3hrs from Seattle to the border, find Canada Customs wants to charge duty, then when I decline and turn around to go home, US Customs gives me the same hassle.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Right, but does a frame with a demo lens constitute a functional product or a sales aid...that's the key difference. I would hate to drive 3hrs from Seattle to the border, find Canada Customs wants to charge duty, then when I decline and turn around to go home, US Customs gives me the same hassle.
US CBP is the easy part. Presumably you have invoices showing that these frames were delivered to you (or otherwise legally obtained by you) in the US, so there wouldn't be any duty charged that way.

I'd start by checking with CBSA... and checking what they want from you so that they trust you to take them back out. Even if they're not dutiable, CBSA can collect GST on the value.

Again, though, the value of the items is important. If we're talking a couple hundred bucks, it's unlikely anyone is going to care. If we're talking USD5000 (which is what, CAD800000 these days? ), then CBSA will probably be interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.