Wiki Posts
Search

Knives in checked baggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Knives in checked baggage?

I am cooking a large dinner tomorrow night and I have to fly to the location. I want to bring my knives as I know the host location will not have proper kitchen knives. My set comes in a fitted case that looks like an attache case.
Advice?
Old May 20, 2016, 8:51 am

Checked shouldn't be a problem. What kind of knives?
Old May 20, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The ex-husband of one of my nieces was a professional chef. He often traveled with a set of knives in a checked bag. Once an agent had a problem with it. He had her call a supervisor over. The supervisor asked the agent what damage, exactly, she thought he could do with knives in a suitcase in the hold. She couldn't think of any. Then the supervisor told her to check his bag.

So, if you run into that same agent's cousin, just ask for a supervisor.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The only real risk is of theft. I am hesitant to check my knives for that reason (as some would be difficult to replace easily, and many cost several hundred $$ each).
Old May 20, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've frequently packed knives in my checked bags. For my own protection, and that of my clothing, the blades are always very well wrapped.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I am cooking a large dinner tomorrow night and I have to fly to the location. I want to bring my knives as I know the host location will not have proper kitchen knives. My set comes in a fitted case that looks like an attache case.
Advice?
1) No legal trouble with it.
2) If they're as expensive as I'm guessing, I'd worry a bit about theft. Might be worth double-bagging the case with clothes around it in a larger suitcase, which won't help from TSA sticky fingers or a professional but might lead a casually larcenous person to overlook it.

--

More generally, I always travel with a pocket knife in my checked bag if I'm checking.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by NoClu
Checked shouldn't be a problem. What kind of knives?
Wustorf. Set cost around $1200
No problems bTW. I did place the case with the knives at the bottom of my checked bag.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:10 pm

Regardless of what I'm bringing in checked luggage, aside from a lock, I add a cable tie for added security. I know that they can open the bag by law, but at least I know that if the tie has been cut, they went through my stuff.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Several times (as we're upgrading our home kitchen eqpt) we've brought knives from Japan in checked baggage w/o any problem. Latest was earlier this year; a cleaver from the Aritsugu store in Kyoto.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: US Gold
The one place I'd worry about it is the UK, where there are all sorts of weird rules about carrying knives.

wg
Old May 25, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by wendyg
The one place I'd worry about it is the UK, where there are all sorts of weird rules about carrying knives.

wg
They're really not that weird (at least the carry rules - the law prohibiting selling a bread knife to a 17 year old is a bit much). In reality, if you have a good reason to be carrying the knife/knives, you're totally fine. Nobody's going to create difficulty for someone carrying a whole set of cooking knives in their luggage. Carrying a chef's knife under your jacket, a bigger issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.