Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged Passport

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 2:22 am

Water damaged passport

Unsure if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but let's hope it's the right one. I am flying to Cancun on Tuesday and have just noticed some spots that I think are water damage on my bio data page on my passport. My question is at both airports I'm flying too they have the new machines where they do the scanning, face recognition etc meaning I won't encounter an actual person. Should I be okay flying? I have no time to get a new passport now that's my problem. Has anyone encountered this or have any knowledge on the subject? I'm extremely worried that I'm not going to be able to fly
Old May 30, 2018, 2:08 am

Usually a few specks shouldn't be an issue. The machines read the MRZ, and maybe scan the photo.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Your passport will also be examined by the airlines to make sure they won't get hit with a fine for transporting someone that doesn't meet entry requirements which can include damage to passport. A little bit of spotting would seem fine but if it affects any readability you could be asking for a headache.

Edit: now that it's the Wednesday after the Tuesday of assumed travel hopefully it worked out for the OP.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hope it all worked out, but the better answer in general is to have the passport replaced. Carriers are more cautious than border agents. Staff are trained to err on the side of caution.

It is hard for the individual to be a good judge. A "few drops" could be 2 or 20. There are multiple terrible stories on FT from people who have lost tickets, prepaid vacations, missed weddings, funerals and other important events, all for avoiding a simple solution.

OP did not provide a location, but if you are at or near a place with a passport agency, one can obtain a replacement, if not on the spot, within a few hours.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Denied boarding due to damage passport
My passport was detached from cover. Lufthansa staff denied boarding
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:22 pm

"Damaged" is a subjective thing, here's proof:
Recently I had to renew my admittedly weathered passport as it is approaching 10 years.
Went to same day passport renewal in NYC at 7:30 AM.
You need a DS82 form filled out typically but DS 11 if damaged. Had to leave the renewal office building and go to Starbucks to get wifi to email them
travel plans, which I had forgotten. When I came back, the one clerk asked me why in the world I had to fill out the DS-11 form.
I explained that the first clerk told me my passport had "water damage" whatever that is...the two started discussing the matter and didn't seem to agree.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yandosan
"Damaged" is a subjective thing, here's proof:
Recently I had to renew my admittedly weathered passport as it is approaching 10 years.
Went to same day passport renewal in NYC at 7:30 AM.
You need a DS82 form filled out typically but DS 11 if damaged. Had to leave the renewal office building and go to Starbucks to get wifi to email them
travel plans, which I had forgotten. When I came back, the one clerk asked me why in the world I had to fill out the DS-11 form.
I explained that the first clerk told me my passport had "water damage" whatever that is...the two started discussing the matter and didn't seem to agree.
Indeed there is some element of subjective opinions about when DS-11 is required for “damage”.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: LH, TK
Originally Posted by legspace
Just like to share an experience I had a while ago. I have a German passport, the red one, with the laminated data page.

Data page I call that page with your picture, name and details. It did broke/fall out. The staff that did that (not at a border) didn't handle the passport badly. Just was just too much bending over the years.

This makes a passport basically invalid. A German passport takes about 6 weeks to get. Not wanting to get stuck during that time here is how I fixed it:
  • I bought some different types/brands of invisible document tape
  • I check them all under UV light, some glow bright blueish white, some not at all. The UV type is unsuitable
  • I taped only the backside of the data page, no tape on data side (would be easy to spot)
  • Data page was then rather loose (as in hinge less stiff) but typically only the data side is checked/looked at
I did manage to fill up the already pretty full passport and managed to use it till the new one was ready.
I lied a little bit, because not sure how much data they can get from here. This break out happen in April 2018, and in reality I just got a new passport only in May 2019. During that year with the tempered passport I had a few flights with different airlines, and a few border crossings (30+). Nobody ever looked at the taped side of the data page.

This said, I am of course fully away that this a great risk and I don't suggest you try that.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Wear and tear or damaged passport?

Hi.

I'm moving to Singapore this week.
However my passport has slight damage to the corner of the cover after retrieving it from the Russian embassy for getting a visum (probably mishandled or something?). The colour off the passport came off in the corner.

Personally I'm sure this will be seen as normal wear and tear, but the wife is adamant on it being damaged and will end up with me getting denied boarding.

So, with the fear of making a proper fool out of myself I come to FT for advice from more seasoned flyers. Do I replace this (over 5 years left on it).

Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I see that as a damaged passport and would not chance flying on it. The wording on the cover is close to illegible and there is clear damage to he lower right-hand corner.

There are any number of threads with similar facts on FT. Absent passports which are truly demolished, they all come down to the individual's risk tolerance. You are at the mercy of the particular air carrier staff checking your documents and then passport control on arrival.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:56 pm

I'm no expert, but my passport has looked much worse than that for about 5 years and it's probably been to 20 countries in that state. I wouldn't think twice about it for Singapore, but as was mentioned, there is some risk.

Seth
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
All of my passports have had the wording on the front over shade at one point. As long as no features in the passport (electronics or something wrong with the pages) are damaged I'd say you're fine.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My passport has no wording on the front anymore, just a slight hint of some former gold lettering, basically just a plain blue book. Nobody cares. As long as it’s not expired you’re good to go.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Keep the passport in a case or envelope from now on. Try to minimize wear during the next 5 years.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I have seen passports much worse than that. I doubt you'll have any issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.