Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Zippered, transparent bag for liquids not acceptable at Gatwick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Poster

My husband and I moved to London from the states a few months ago because we're pretty obsessed with traveling. I'm very lucky to say that we are avid travelers and have been to quite a few places around the globe. As you all know, after flying through various airports you tend to have a "go with the flow" attitude when it comes to different rules and regulations.

Having said that, I'm very confused by a recent incident that had us departing from Gatwick for the first time. We have one of these travel bags for our liquids (http://www.flight001.com/f1-clear-ca...quart-bag.html) which has served us very well flying through many airports (including Heathrow). Upon getting to security there was a young guy that told us we couldn't use our bags because they were zippered. Note - this didn't seem like an official security guy - it was some young guy who was clearly employed by the airport but was just standing there handing out plastic zip-lock type bags. On the Gatwick site it says that liquids must be in a "transparent re-sealable plastic bag". Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't zippered = re-sealable? Seriously - zero problems flying around the world with this zippered clear bag.

Did I just get a cranky security guy or is this something I need to be aware of when flying through Gatwick (or any other non-Heathrow London airport)?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:14 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns airport security at Gatwick, or possibly throughout the U.K., let me move this to the apt travel security forum with a more specific title. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta, United
Smile, thank then, take the bag, and continue on. Otherwise it is just wrestling with pigs.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had a thought here:

What would happen if someone had a bag manufacturer produce some two quart bags and print on them "1 quart"??? Would the airport be a bloody mess from all the TSA heads exploding?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Smile, thank then, take the bag, and continue on. Otherwise it is just wrestling with pigs.
I've used a bag like yours through a lot of airports including LGW and never had an issue. Sounds like the guy was trying too hard to be helpful.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:16 am

I wouldn't even bother trying to use my own. It would probably rise suspicions about the bags being able to conceal something, and that's why they won't let you. I would just use theirs and "go with the flow".
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:09 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I had something similar happen in ATH a few years ago. The guy made me (would not let me pass) unless I removed all my liquids from my sturdy ziplock bag and put them into a flimsy plastic bag he provided. I just sighed and complied and then after passing security, transferred everything back to my sturdy ziplock bag and tossed the flimsy one provided (marked with some ATH airport propaganda). Just transitted through ATH 2 weeks ago - there was none of this silliness going on.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At least they didn't try to make you pay! Some UK airports (particularly LCC ones) sell these bags rather than give them out, which gives the authoritarian types more incentive to rule yours unacceptable.

Originally Posted by redjillo
My husband and I moved to London from the states a few months ago because we're pretty obsessed with traveling.
If only everyone could just move to a new country because they enjoyed travelling...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! As I expected it's a bit of a crapshoot. Of course I'll just smile and be patient, as usual.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What would happen if someone had a bag manufacturer produce some two quart bags and print on them "1 quart"???
Nothing - it says 1 quart on the bag, so it's OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.