Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 10:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guflyer
Is SSSS for itineraries relating to Turkey still an issue? I am planning some travel to Europe this summer and I wanted to see whether I need to avoid Turkish Airlines. I am glad to know that transit in Turkey brings about the issue less frequently but it makes me concerned about what happens if there are IRROPS., which could prolong the stay in Turkey. I actually have wanted to visit Istanbul at some point as I have heard amazing things about it, but it has not been worth the risk of SSSS.
Honestly I don't know, but I wouldn't worry too much about SSSS just looking to tour there or to fly through.

My impression is that 'spending a very large chunk of time' there or 'disappearing for a while' there might raise red flags-- perhaps when taken in consideration with other factors-- but a week or two or three trackable by flight in and out seems unlikely to raise alarm bells.
guflyer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:24 pm

Question Travel to Turkey in 2023: Still SSSS?

Hi there! Long time reader of FT, first time poster using throwaway
Background: I am a US citizen, not precheck/GE/clear/anything, and will be traveling to Europe this summer. I'll be flying around the place but mostly based out of London, but I'm particularly concerned about a trip to Turkey.
I have a trip (booked in June) to Istanbul coming up in September on LOT from Heathrow to WAW to IST and returning after 2 nights. Everything is on 1 ticket but there is some long layovers in WAW. In 2023, is SSSS still a risk when visiting Turkey? How about in my case (pre booked, not one way or anything). I will fly back to the US about a week after (also on a separate round trip ticket) if that matters. Do you think this would warrant SSSS when flying within/to/from the US (or anywhere else for that matter)? If this is a big risk, I may reconsider this particular side trip as it is not too essential and may conflict with other options I'm considering traveling to. Any experience or knowledge on this matter is appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Travel to/from Turkey does not in and of itself get a pax identified for SSSS. SSSS is not something scary to worry about - it is about a 15 minute inconvenience for most passengers. Unless one has a very bad experience (not usual but possible and not under your control) or a vehement personal response to the additional scrutiny (which is certainly possible and entirely under your control) then it should not seriously impact your proposed journey or any future journeys.

Sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip - would be a shame to change your plans simply because of the possibility of SSSS. Unless, of course, there are things you are not sharing with us about your expected travel (such as you have intentions to bring prohibited or illegal items through the checkpoint) and/or your background (such as travel or other behavior that has government security organizations interested in you).
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by throwaway_ist
Hi there! Long time reader of FT, first time poster using throwaway
Background: I am a US citizen, not precheck/GE/clear/anything, and will be traveling to Europe this summer. I'll be flying around the place but mostly based out of London, but I'm particularly concerned about a trip to Turkey.
I have a trip (booked in June) to Istanbul coming up in September on LOT from Heathrow to WAW to IST and returning after 2 nights. Everything is on 1 ticket but there is some long layovers in WAW. In 2023, is SSSS still a risk when visiting Turkey? How about in my case (pre booked, not one way or anything). I will fly back to the US about a week after (also on a separate round trip ticket) if that matters. Do you think this would warrant SSSS when flying within/to/from the US (or anywhere else for that matter)? If this is a big risk, I may reconsider this particular side trip as it is not too essential and may conflict with other options I'm considering traveling to. Any experience or knowledge on this matter is appreciated.
A bunch of my relatives and friends flew on US-Turkey tickets and were hanging around Turkish resorts last year and this year before returning to the US. Not a single one of them — and that includes some young adult males — has reported any SSSS hits on separately ticketed flights within or from the US since.
Section 107 and chollie like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:30 pm

Does Going Through Turkey Still Result in SSSS?

I was looking at flights and the offer that TK gives to pay for a night of hotel and a free tour. However, I remember reading in the past about how spending time outside of the airport in Turkey can result in SSSS on one's boarding pass for the next few months. Is this still the case? Should this still be a concern?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:01 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by guflyer
Should this still be a concern?
For me this is an urban legend. I am not only TK FF but also fly to/from/through Turkey fairly frequently and the last SSSS I had was in 2019 (LIS-EWR on TP).
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
My sister just flew TK via IST to NBO. She returned to the US via LHR on BA and AA (long story about TK screwing her up because they cancelled her flights to TLV and from there back to the US via IST and demanded an extra $3K to reroute her back to the US after they suspended their TLV flights).

No SSSS on her flights back to the US.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
This IST/Turkey vs SSSS myth needs to come to an end. I had countless stays in Turkey in the past 2-3 years and never had SSSS once, including coming back to the US from trips to Iraq and Afghanistan via Turkey.

A few months back I had to cut a trip to Greece short and booked a last minute (36 hours before) award ticket on AF to fly ATH-CDG-LAX (overnight stop in Paris). I had a hunch SSSS was on the way when I didn't manage to load my BPs for both flights on the AF app. At ATH my suspicions were confirmed and I got the dreaded quad treatment (quick 10 minute stop) at the gate in CDG the next day.

If you ask me about the secret spice to boost your chances of getting SSSS on your BP I will tell you to book a last minute (<48 hours) one-way transatlantic/pacific flight to the US, origin doesn't matter.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.