Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does opting out automatically trigger a baggage search and swab?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Every time I go through security at JFK Terminal 4, I end up in a situation where I opt out. And every time I opt out, TSA searches and swabs my carry-on bags regardless of whether they "see" something on the baggage x-ray or not. So my question is does opting out trigger a baggage search/swab every time or am I just lucky?

BTW, this most recent time, TSA was keeping track of the number of people opting out but did not ask why.

Additionally, JFK T4 TSA is one of the reasons I only visit the US once every 12-16 months. They are generally rude (even for New Yorkers), arrogant, and have a condescending attitude towards passengers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
IME, almost always.

I am in involuntary medical opt-out - I can't assume and hold the position. With rare exception, I always get a full bag swab-and-test as well as wandering and probing hands.

Apparently my physical limitations mean I am automatically high-risk at many checkpoints. At PHX T2, I believe the bag search-and-swab is purely punitive, done to discourage people from opting out.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
IME, the opposite. I opted out twice last month no bag inspection (SLC & OAK). Last fall at JFK the same (international XF), no inspection. In fact, I can not remember having my carry-on inspected as part of an opt out ever.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 18, 2015 at 2:08 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I can't recall ever getting a bag swab when opting out. The whole point of the "patdown" is getting a full body rubdown for a swab test, so it seems like it would be totally redundant. The only time I can recall an automatic bag swab was when I forgot my ID, so I was flying as a 'selectee' and got the full royal treatment.

I wonder if it has anything to do with your passport, maybe traveling on a foreign passport + opt out is a special combo?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:19 pm

The answer you guys are looking for is SSI

It has nothing to do with passport and opting out.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I can't recall ever getting a bag swab when opting out. The whole point of the "patdown" is getting a full body rubdown for a swab test, so it seems like it would be totally redundant. The only time I can recall an automatic bag swab was when I forgot my ID, so I was flying as a 'selectee' and got the full royal treatment.

I wonder if it has anything to do with your passport, maybe traveling on a foreign passport + opt out is a special combo?
I travel on a US passport. But I don't use my passport for the ID check because I don't want the TSA clerk flipping through my entire passport as they did once (and from that moment on, I used my Driver's license or border crossing card). I don't recall anything special or unusual scribbled on my boarding pass at the ID check and I didn't declare my intention to opt out until it was certain that I would be sent to the nude-o-scope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.