Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:27 am
CGA

Programs: Star Alliance, One World
AUSTRALIA?

Could anyone please tell me if Australia is fingerprinting at airports, visitors from the EU?
Thank you all in advance for your answer!
CG Alf.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:25 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Transited through China earlier this month (I-I at PVG) and they do take a photo but no fingerprints.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by CGA
Could anyone please tell me if Australia is fingerprinting at airports, visitors from the EU?
Thank you all in advance for your answer!
CG Alf.
You'd need to be more specific as to your citizenship.

While I'm a big fan of my EU citizenship (until it's ripped away from me) it's not that a useful descriptor considering many countries treat EU citizens differently based on country of citizenship.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Generally speaking you are correct, Australia does treat all EU/EFTA citizens the same though: They are all eligible for the eVisitor visa, which does not require fingerprints to be submitted. So CGA, assuming you mean to say you're an EU/EFTA passport holder, no you won't need to provide prints.

@bpe: When I transited PVG last year, no photo was taken IIRC. Might add this to the next version of the table, cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Just a quick update on South Africa—still seems to be inconsistently/randomly applied; earlier this month, my fingerprints weren't collected, but the equipment was present. Signage indicated it was still in a "testing" phase, as it's apparently been since sometime in 2016...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:55 am
CGA

Originally Posted by Brave New World
Generally speaking you are correct, Australia does treat all EU/EFTA citizens the same though: They are all eligible for the eVisitor visa, which does not require fingerprints to be submitted. So CGA, assuming you mean to say you're an EU/EFTA passport holder, no you won't need to provide prints.

@bpe: When I transited PVG last year, no photo was taken IIRC. Might add this to the next version of the table, cheers.
Thanks for your reply, Brave New World; and yes, I should have been a bit more specific. Indeed I am an EU - Italian citizen traveling from London to Australia in a few weeks on my EU - Italian passport. In general I hate being fingerprinted at airports, and for this reason I try to avoid whenever possible arriving at fingerprinting countries/airports. As a matter of fact, I applied online and received within a matter of seconds, the australian eVisitor visa class 651 approval. Cheers! CG ALF.

Last edited by CGA; Oct 27, 2017 at 8:26 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:12 am
CGA

Originally Posted by Skatering

While I'm a big fan of my EU citizenship (until it's ripped away from me) it's not that a useful descriptor considering many countries treat EU citizens differently based on country of citizenship.
Hi Skatering, thanks for your answer; indeed I should have been more specific. I'm an Italian citizen with an EU - Italian passport. Without any intention of digging into your privacy I cant help but wondering why your statement of your EU citizenship being ripped away...<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 30, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:59 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Brave New World
Note that this is only for the MU-MU transfer in PVG where you don't clear immigration and just go to the transit desks (not the 24/72/144 hour TWOV). I'm sure that you're aware of this but it is a bit tricky if you aren't familiar with the visa and airport rules so maybe add a note to the spreadsheet.

I don't know if you can do this type of transit anywhere else (CA-CA at PEK probably?) or if the procedures regarding photos etc.. differ as well.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Skatering

Last I checked, we don't fingerprint anyone at Australian borders, though it's possible some permanent resident visas and the like may require it. That said, don't expect this to stay the same, the current government is playing the T-word card a lot in an effort to expand intrusion into daily life and has just started on an effort to build a massive nationwide facial recognition database. They seem to think Person of Interest and 1984 were manuals!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by bpe
Note that this is only for the MU-MU transfer in PVG where you don't clear immigration and just go to the transit desks (not the 24/72/144 hour TWOV). I'm sure that you're aware of this but it is a bit tricky if you aren't familiar with the visa and airport rules so maybe add a note to the spreadsheet.

I don't know if you can do this type of transit anywhere else (CA-CA at PEK probably?) or if the procedures regarding photos etc.. differ as well.
PEK takes photo on transit through the immediate transit without visa (not 27/72 hour) corridor, but does not take fingerprints, as of the last week on a HU-HX transfer in T2. Photo is taken from a tower on the right side of the desk behind the officer at the second passport/boarding pass control desk.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: LH M+M
TPE: Fingerprints and photo .. in and outbound.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:04 am

Hi. It seems to me that the link to the table is broken, could you please re-upload it?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Works fine for me, check whether it's your browser or internet connection that causes the issue.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:56 pm

Sorry, the problem was on my side.
As far as I know in Mozambique both on the land border and in the airports fingerprints and photo are taken (at least applicable to those who need a visa on arrival, and citizens of most countries do). On departure from Mozambique, fingerprints are checked against a database.

Last edited by Stolf1952; Dec 21, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:41 pm

how is situation with New Zealand?
Do they take fingerprints for tourists from EU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.