Wiki Posts
Search

"Mike November" at border

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
"Mike November" at border

Not sure if there is a more targeted forum, but feel free to move.

Every time I cross the border back into the U.S. my passport alerts, causing me to receive extra questions, usually after being redirected into a back room.

Every time I've asked why, or if there was anything I can do differently, the agents have shrugged or said they had no idea.

Last week, preparing to board a flight in Vancouver B.C., after seeing the alert, the U.S. border agent asked a co-worker "is Mike November still a mandatory referral?" He wouldn't tell me what that meant, and I was again referred for extra questioning (including questions about my "tats" - I don't have any ink).

Any idea what this is and/or anthing I can do to avoid it?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
NATO phonetic alphabet
M="Mike"
N= "November"

Thus, some acronym of "MN". Hopefully doesn't mean the state !
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I've been pondering MN (Mismatched Name, Mustached Normally, Metal kNee?)

My wife has now taken to calling me Mike November, saying it's my secret spy identity.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:27 pm

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ng-customs-and
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by greenskin
Yeah, I've been pondering MN (Mismatched Name, Mustached Normally, Metal kNee?)

My wife has now taken to calling me Mike November, saying it's my secret spy identity.
Are you sure it was Mike November and not November Mike? (Name Match)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

It may have been November Mike, although my ticketed name matches my passport name, with the exception of middle initial on the ticket, middle name on the passport - Thanks for the link - I appreciate that.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by greenskin
It may have been November Mike, although my ticketed name matches my passport name, with the exception of middle initial on the ticket, middle name on the passport - Thanks for the link - I appreciate that.
It might not be an issue with your ticketed name matching your travel document, but that the name matches or is similar to someone on a watch list. Especially since you mentioned in secondary they've asked you about distinguishing features such as tattoos.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quokka
It might not be an issue with your ticketed name matching your travel document, but that the name matches or is similar to someone on a watch list. Especially since you mentioned in secondary they've asked you about distinguishing features such as tattoos.
Makes sense. Do redress numbers help with this?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Makes sense. Do redress numbers help with this?
Not generally when it comes to CBP checking of passengers flagged by a name match done by/for CBP or supplied to CBP.

DHS TRIP-produced "redress number" is for purposes of not being confused with one of the huge number of people on one of the USG aviation-related passenger blacklists used by the TSA or CBP.

The redress number itself isn't generally useful when it comes to CBP checking of passengers flagged by a name match, but sometimes the process leading up to a redress number defintiely is useful. Since there is a substantial possibility that OP is being confused with someone on one or more blacklists, a redress number from DHS TRIP may be useful for fewer future problems when showing up at US port of entry. It's not a magic bullet to eliminate all such problems, but sometimes it has worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.