Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US passport held up applying for India visa, need to fly in to Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

I was hoping for some advice here. I applied for an Indian Visa and sent my U.S. passport in for processing. It's being held up a bit, and I found out that I need to travel to Canada. Unfortunately it seems unlikely that I would receive my U.S. passport back in time. My travel to Canada is by air and would be 10 days from today. Is there any potential service to make this possible? I am going to drive to the Indian consulate to see if I can expedite it any way. I checked out the NEXUS program, but it seems like it would take weeks to get approved also. The US Passport Card would only be good if I were traveling by land. Are there any other options that I do not know about?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Contact your nearest U.S. passport office, and ask if you can get a temporary second passport?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I had the similar issue with my wife's passport at the Indian consulate. We finally asked to return the passport (need to write a letter and hand it over to VFS or whatever company is now taking applications). Lo and behold we got the passport with the visa that same day.

1. We wrote the letter and hand it over in person to VFS(?) as you dont have access to indian consulate
2. Ensure you hand the letter before 11am-12pm. Someone from the application center goes daily to consulate to pick up the passports (this was the case in san francisco)
3. Wait till 4pm when they start handing out the passports
4. Raise hell if they say your passport is not there
5. Keep raising hell and see your passport magically appear from the back office

Hope this helps
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
Drive down to the Indian Consulate

I'm an Indian national living in the US. Speaking from my personal experience, Indian Consulates will expedite (possibly even do a on the day service) in cases of emergency. Just take a copy of all the documents you sent with your initial application.

Good Luck.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I've moved your post to the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum which is dedicated to discussion of passport and border control matters.

Good luck finding a resolution!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Contact your nearest U.S. passport office, and ask if you can get a temporary second passport?
In my experience, you need to submit your regular passport when requesting a second passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.