Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extension Cord in Carry-on Suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Extension Cord in Carry-on Suitcase

Returning from Cabo San Lucas to LAX on American, Security in Cabo took away the extension cord I had in my carry-on suitcase.

Flying United to London. Must I check in my extension cord?

Thanks, cb
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
No, but there are no guarantees as TSA often makes things up as they go.

Returning from UK is another matter. Don't know what they will do there.

That being said, I traveled from Bulgaria to Cyprus with Christmas lights in my carry-on (they were still in their original packaging). No problem, except make bag got extra scrutiny.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Alas, not enough to earn miles
I keep an extension cord in my CPAP case because you never know if there will be an outlet close enough to the bed. I've never had it taken away on any domestic or international flight.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns travel security issues, please follow the thread on its move to the dedicated forum for these issues. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbredt
Returning from Cabo San Lucas to LAX on American, Security in Cabo took away the extension cord I had in my carry-on suitcase.

Flying United to London. Must I check in my extension cord?

Thanks, cb
I'm not surprised. An extension cord could be used to tie people up.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But by that logic so could most laptop chargers. And if we're really stretching it, so could wired headphones and phone chargers.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VPsych
But by that logic so could most laptop chargers. And if we're really stretching it, so could wired headphones and phone chargers.
No kidding. To a certain extent I don't mind playing by the rules but it helps to know what are the rules. Guess you could add a belt, a bra, and so on.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
True. It's been a while, but I have had both zip ties (spares used to secure luggage and for random repairs) and a short length of surgical tubing (used for rehab exercises) confiscated because they could be used to tie people up.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Oh, oh. My carry on contents:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...G_8771-2-2.jpg
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I'm sure you practice 'safe packing', right?

Tidy little layers with everything in a custom slot so it doesn't slip out of place and confuse the xray tech?

(The little kid in me wants to unpack your bag and explore and play).
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Recently at PVD, my computer bag was called for a bag check. After swabbing the hole thing and all the pockets (lots of them too), the guy finally looked at the image capture to see the issue. Seems the way I had my cord and my mouse gave the impression of a long tube. He made me put the mouse elsewhere and xray'd it again (why the second when you knew it was all ok?). But why apply logic to the terminally stupid authority LMAO
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VPsych
But everyone has those, they don't think of unconventional uses for them.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
That being said, I traveled from Bulgaria to Cyprus with Christmas lights in my carry-on (they were still in their original packaging).
Awww, that's not very festive.

Next time you should wrap them around the outside of your bag with a battery tucked just inside the zipper. That will brighten everyone's day.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Guercifgal
I keep an extension cord in my CPAP case because you never know if there will be an outlet close enough to the bed. I've never had it taken away on any domestic or international flight.
I keep a whole schmear of computer cables in my PC bag including an extension cord and never have had any problems. Sometimes they like to send my Canon portable printer through a second time and I just ask that I be the one to repack it -- it's that fragile.

Bob H
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Really they confiscated your extension cord and you didn't make a fuss?

I've heard anywhere that it's against the rules to have that. I often travel with a power strip with a long cord on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.