Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contact Lens Solution in Checked Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
My wife wears contacts virtually 24/7. She obviously has the set she's wearing plus extras/replacements when she travels. She always has a small bottle of solution with her, typically in her purse. For longer trips, like our nearly four weeks in Europe this past May, she takes a number of extras. The extras and her small solution bottle go in her carry on and a larger bottle of solution goes in her checked luggage. Never been an issue.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:35 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I would not recommend putting your contact lenses in your checked luggage unless you can afford to have them lost because that is a possibility. There is absolutely no reason why you can't have them in your carry-on - They are allowed. I do it all the time. I wear one hard and one soft and carry 2 different solutions plus dry eye drops in my carry-on and have NEVER had a problem.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Best to bring the lenses in the carry on in case checked gets lost/delayed. I always have several with me. It medically necessary so never questioned. Same with the saline. It's medically necessary. Correct me if wrong and I have always just been lucky, but I take the big bottle of saline. It is exempt from the 3 Oz rule and just needs to be out in with the liquids but no limit on the amount. Also I show it to them, sometimes they test it. Sometimes they don't.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I would not recommend putting your contact lenses in your checked luggage unless you can afford to have them lost because that is a possibility. There is absolutely no reason why you can't have them in your carry-on - They are allowed. I do it all the time. I wear one hard and one soft and carry 2 different solutions plus dry eye drops in my carry-on and have NEVER had a problem.
This. Carry the lenses on.

You can always buy more lens solution at your destination if it's lost from your checked bag, or your bag delayed, or whatever. It's harder to get the lenses replaced expediently.

I have yet to have security personnel in Europe, the US, or Asia even question lenses in a carry on, and I travel with them both in a storage case and in original packaging (a backup pair or two in case I damage the lenses I'm wearing). Neither has been even given a second glance including during full bag dumps and SSSS-type handling.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
+1 Never had any trouble, in any airport worldwide, with my disposable contacts in their lens case plus a couple of extra new lenses (in their original packaging) being in the carry-on. I don't put them in the liquids baggie or anything, just in my toiletries bag that remains inside the carry-on.

Agree that there's no reason to put them in the checked bag - always a risk that the bag is delayed, lost, or damaged. No sense in even taking the risk since they can travel in the carry-on.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:21 am

Contact Lenses and Contact Lens Solution in you checked luggage?

Hello, This is my first time on an International flight, I'd be travelling from India to Canada with a transit at Heathrow. My Question is since I'm moving to Canada for a year I'm planning on taking 12 pairs of lens(the monthly disposable ones)and a large bottle of Contact lens solution. Can I put them in my Luggage bag that I'll be checking in or do I take them with me in my hand luggage?

And If I can put them in my Check-in luggage, Can I carry two pairs of spare contact lenses just in case and a small sample size Solution with me in my check-in bag? Thank you !
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by DKan
Can I put them in my Luggage bag that I'll be checking in or do I take them with me in my hand luggage?
I check my Clear Care when traveling, and since I'm away for a long time, I usually take about six large bottles with me.

Originally Posted by DKan
Can I carry two pairs of spare contact lenses just in case and a small sample size Solution with me in my check-in bag? Thank you !
Yes, 100ml or less.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I check my Clear Care when traveling, and since I'm away for a long time, I usually take about six large bottles with me.

Yes, 100ml or less.
However, be aware that if it's Clear Care, TSA seems to be confiscating it on a random basis <deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:31 am Reason: Policy debate/commentary, not Practical Travel Safety/Security advice/information
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is an informational forum; it is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself, "If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?"

Please save your opinions and commentary for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by petaluma1
However, be aware that if it's Clear Care, TSA seems to be confiscating it on a random basis...
@DKan is traveling from India to Canada via Heathrow. There is no need for him or her to be concerned about TSA policies and practices.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:36 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
DKan: Do not put your contact lenses in your checked bag unless you don't care if they go missing. There is no reason that you cannot take your 12-month supply in your carry-on. Take a travel-size bottle of solution with you in your carry-on and put the big bottle of solution in your checked luggage. BTW, they have a large selection contact lens solutions in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.