Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Empty sports water bottles allowed in hand luggage at LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist

I am posting this here rather than in the travel safety part of the forum as most responders in that forum appear to be US based whereas I am sure there is a fellow BA flyer who can provide me with the answer. Having said that mods please feel free to move.

I am traveling through LGW tomorrow (heading to France) and I want to know if I can take an empty sports water bottle (500ml) onboard in my hand luggage. I wish to use it whilst in France.

The UK Government pages at .gov.uk are not helpful at all and do not provide an answer nor does the LGW webpage. The TSA webpages (and previous threads on FT) say I can but clearly I am not going to be subject to TSA rules as I will not be traveling in the US.

If not I will simply purchase a bottle of water in duty free and use that but I would prefer to take a proper sports bottle. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
As far as I am aware the regulations specify a size, even if empty. Whether or not they will spot it if it is empty is another matter though.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Its an empty container! Of course you can!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:03 am

You shouldn't have a problem taking an empty bottle through security. I've done it plenty of times
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:04 am

There's no restrictions on empty containers. Just liquids and their containers.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Empty container = no problem. Presto!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks guys.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Empty is no problem. The only difficulty (which I saw once in the US) is if there is a minute amount of liquid still in the container.

The best thing to do is to leave it in a tray with just one or two other things, but there is no problem doing this, particularly if the bottle is clear and dry.

Even better still is this, which features in the CWS one-bag-fits-all armoury:

One litre of liquid when full, flat as a pancake, and foldable, when empty. Never been a problem. Pop into REI on your next trip to the US.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
(..)clearly I am not going to be subject to TSA rules as I will not be traveling in the US.
In the UK it has been determined that any official statements relating to airport security are a) likely to be completely ignored by security staff, or b) could read be read by AQ while they're recharging their iPads. So "specific" is out, and you get helpful nonsense like the reminder to make sure your travel iron is fully charged...

It's an empty bottle, you'll be fine!

Unless you're flying through T3, in which case they make up the rules as they go along...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Presumably if there's a 'drop of liquid' in the bag, you'd still have the same problem as with an empty bottle ?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Empty is no problem. The only difficulty (which I saw once in the US) is if there is a minute amount of liquid still in the container.

The best thing to do is to leave it in a tray with just one or two other things, but there is no problem doing this, particularly if the bottle is clear and dry.

Even better still is this, which features in the CWS one-bag-fits-all armoury:

One litre of liquid when full, flat as a pancake, and foldable, when empty. Never been a problem. Pop into REI on your next trip to the US.
This could double very handily as a colostomy bag, if required.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This could double very handily as ...
... a method of getting JW Blue out of the lounge?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:34 am

Thought it was the container that counts? At least it used to be. So can somebody bring an empty wine bottle through security?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Thought it was the container that counts? At least it used to be. So can somebody bring an empty wine bottle through security?
Just to be clear: it is liquids that is the issue, not the container. After all you could fill an approved clear bag with water and that would not be allowed. Empty wine bottle is fine. Apart from 17 days after the ban was initially introduced, it's never been the container. A Tupperware box is fine, a biscuit tin is fine, all sorts of containers can potentially hold liquids, if you think about it.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Polomarc
In theory, yes. I take empty sports water bottles through in hand luggage frequently. Never had any problem at any airport although as CWS states, there needs to be no liquid in them at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.