Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unfriendly CBP officers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Every time I cross into the U.S.A. the CBP helps remind me just how much like the former Soviet Union the country has become. Every time I enter the former Eastern Bloc I am reminded of the America I used to know a generation ago.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:27 pm

And the US tourist board are wondering why tourist coming here is not close what it used to be !

I have been a legal resident for 20 years and been asked why I am divorced from an american man. Also why I want to visit my relatives in a scandinavian country. Nobody's buisness.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Airbridge
Yes but they rarely call themselves "visitors"

People in Mc Donalds are rude to me I manage to move on
Perhaps.

The US Government categorizes most such foreign citizens as "visitors" when such foreigners arrive at a US port of entry and seek admission into the country.

People can enter the country legally without dealing with McDonalds' employees in a way that is not as easily possible without dealing with CBP employees.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 31, 2014 at 4:55 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:37 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by goforgold99
To what degree does one have to tolerate their behavior? Can you request to speak to their supervisor or is this not a good idea? Is their any way to complain or give feedback to the CBP so they would start improving the training of the officers in how to respectfully treat visitors?
You can certainly speak to a supervisor, but unless there was actual abuse or mistreatment, it's doubtful that the supervisor will do anything. CBP is well aware that their officers lack respect. Your telling them is not going to make any difference. I suggest you try to not take it personally and move on with your business.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - CBP are not marketers or sales people. They simply have a job to do. Same thing for the individual presenting themselves. Keep it short & professional. If you want someone to fawn over you, go to a luxury store.
Yes, in fact that's all they were asking for. CBP can't manage that. Hence the OP's post.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Yes but they rarely call themselves "visitors"
LPR's tend to know exactly what their status is and call themselves by that.

People in Mc Donalds are rude to me I manage to move on
People in McDonald's can't hold you without legal recourse for whatever reason or whim they like, nor hand you over for indefinite detention and torture by US federal or foreign state actors. But yeah, aside from that your analogy was great.

Is it really all that much to ask for CBP to consistently act professionally? Other countries manage it.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:39 pm

"You can certainly speak to a supervisor, but unless there was actual abuse or mistreatment, it's doubtful that the supervisor will do anything."

I asked around repeatedly after the two Customs guys in Miami were
yelling at people and threatening people with arrest over stupid matters,
completely out of line. No supervisor was to be found.
In previous run-ins, less serious, I don't ever remember supervisors being around either. Please tell us where the supervisor is hiding. Under a desk?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Is it really all that much to ask for CBP to consistently act professionally? Other countries manage it.
This. The only remotely memorable interactions I've ever had with Customs/Immigration/BP anywhere in the world were two negative experiences at LAX traveling on a US passport. In one case the Customs officer was personally offended that I was living in a foreign country and ensured that my luggage was comprehensively searched in retaliation. In the other, the guy at passport control thought it was funny to make a joke that I was wanted by the FBI.

Hundreds of other CBP transactions in Australasia, Europe, Asia, South America, Canada and Africa have been largely forgettable. Which is as it should be.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Alright, so today I got to correct the mistakes the CBP officer made. As I feared he admitted me under the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) and not under E1 status. Even though I pointed out to him that I am under E1, he ignored it like I wrote in the initial post.

So I had to go to the USCIS bureau in San Francisco. What can I say, super friendly officers there with whom you could have some small talk. They just shook their heads when I told them the story. They could not understand how the CBP admitted me under VWP.
Anyways, they corrected everything and now I am properly in the system. Because this could have ended pretty bad for me if I didn't notice the mistake and hadn't taken action..

After that I immediately went to SFO for the Global Entry interview. Again, very friendly and professional CBP officers.

So maybe it's just some of the ones who 'welcome' the visitors from the plane..
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:57 am
Suspended

Alright, so today I got to correct the mistakes the CBP officer made. As I feared he admitted me under the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) and not under E1 status. Even though I pointed out to him that I am under E1, he ignored it like I wrote in the initial post.
Strictly speaking, it wasn't a mistake. The immigration officer has discretion to admit you under any status they decide on. It would usually be under the visa status, but they can pretty much grant you (or reject) any status they like.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:34 am

regarding the last encounter, I just asked him a question, because he made me fill out the wrong form (I-94W Visa Waiver instead of I-94 for visa holders which I am). He just responded with "fill out the form!" in an annoyed tone

Maybe I am to sensitive. Anyways, I will just continue to stay firendly and let it go.
Keep your I-94 when you leave the United States. A friendly US CBP
advised me this a long time ago. I put it back in my passport when I
return and never have a problem entering or exiting.

Might also be an idea to bring a copy of the I-797C notification sent
to your employer as well.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paul56
Keep your I-94 when you leave the United States. A friendly US CBP advised me this a long time ago. I put it back in my passport when I return and never have a problem entering or exiting.
Except I94's aren't physically issued any more for air entries, and you have to get a new one at each entry anyway. If you do have an I94 then the airlines are required (but don't always remember) to retain it when you leave.

I think that these days, trying to retain an I94 is a recipe for disaster: your status is determined each time you enter and (except for a few visa classes) an I94 record is created at each entry. If you have an I94 that doesn't match the latest entry record then you're just asking for trouble.

Might also be an idea to bring a copy of the I-797C notification sent
to your employer as well.
Why?!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Except I94's aren't physically issued any more for air entries, and you have to get a new one at each entry anyway. If you do have an I94 then the airlines are required (but don't always remember) to retain it when you leave.

I think that these days, trying to retain an I94 is a recipe for disaster: your status is determined each time you enter and (except for a few visa classes) an I94 record is created at each entry. If you have an I94 that doesn't match the latest entry record then you're just asking for trouble.

Why?!
The airlines are notorious for not removing it. I just help them out
by removing it in advance.

I've crossed several times like this. CBP never issue a new I-94 but
they do verify the status upon entry.

The I-797C provides further evidence of the status that is a doc
I can produce should the need arise.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paul56
The airlines are notorious for not removing it. I just help them out by removing it in advance.
Thus committing a crime; (when they physically existed) you have to present it at exit. It's your responsibility. Granted, not one they will pursue unless they're annoyed at you, but if that ever happens then they dig everything up and throw the book at you.

I've crossed several times like this. CBP never issue a new I-94 but
they do verify the status upon entry.
If you're talking air travel then you're simply mistaken. Except for a very few visa classes, a new I94 record is issued each time you enter the US by air (& most land border crossings too). It denotes the status granted at that entry. Moreover, CBP simply don't issue physical I94's any more for air entries.

The I-797C provides further evidence of the status that is a doc
I can produce should the need arise.
No, it provides proof of eligibility for a particular visa at one point in time. It says nothing about the SoR granted at entry. You do understand the difference between a visa and a status of residence, don't you?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:16 pm

I fail to see how keeping the I-94 is an issue.

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I always leave by air and keep my boarding passes
as proof of departure. Anyone wants to know when
I left... no problem as I have proof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.