FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   How Many Banned Items Have You Gotten Past TSA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1543597-how-many-banned-items-have-you-gotten-past-tsa.html)

cestmoi123 Jan 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by thetaxman (Post 22212151)
Ammunition mainly. Did get stopped for some flash bangs that were training versions, but they didn't seem to care. They did all take a step back when I yanked the pin to show them it wasn't going to actually go off.

That could have turned out really really poorly.

invisible Jan 29, 2014 1:34 am

Originally Posted by ept0202 (Post 22191725)
Illegal substance blotted on paper. It had been stashed several months earlier and actually it was forgotten about. I discovered it in my travel wallet after getting to my destination.
Oops
:eek:

years ago

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia (Post 22194006)
Large amounts of weed. #often.

Don't do it if you travel to SEA countries. They shoot people here for that.

N965VJ Jan 31, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MtlChris (Post 22193330)
Put me in the camp of those who have never used the plastic bag for liquid toiletries, including sunscreen, toothpaste, etc.

I have always attributed that to common sense from the screening staff, rather than incompetence tough. Somehow, deep inside, they also as well as us that some of those rules are just for show.

I haven't used a Kippie bag for years; all my little containers of hotel shampoo, toothpaste, minis are in various places inside my rollaboard. I also usually have an empty water bottle that's still wet on the inside. Nobody seems to care.

A few months ago a barker at the front of the x-ray machine was asking me if I had any liquids in my bag. I completely blew him off, which of course upset him that a member of the traveling public did not respect his authoritah. :p

I walk through the metal detector, and he steps behind the x-ray operator, saying something to him I couldn't make out. The two of them stare at the screen, flipping through various angles and other settings.

After a minute or two, my rollaboard comes out of the machine without comment.

Here's the kicker - I actually had three fresh eggs wrapped up in there (leftover from a stay at a Homewood Suites). They didn't notice anything. So either the current settings on some x-rays aren't good at detecting containers with liquids, or the two TSA employees were totally incompetent. I know for certain they were desperately trying to find something they could c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶s̶c̶a̶t̶e̶ make me surrender.

Nuts! I was hoping I would have a chance to exclaim "Oh noes, EGGS! Somebody could make an OMELET!" :eek::p

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia (Post 22194006)
Large amounts of weed. #often.

Just don't clean out the F snack basket, mmmmkay? :eek::D

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 22197675)
I saw an airline employee with a full-size fire axe once.

Yes it's true.

Every Part 121 aircraft has one in the cockpit already. Was it a mechanic?

BobbySteel Feb 1, 2014 7:55 am

Originally Posted by grbauctions (Post 22197054)
Around 2008/2009 I was traveling on AA or UA I forget back n forth between SNA and SFO the weekend prior I was In mammoth and was given some seal bombs.. Basically a 1/4 stick of dynamite (State of California official use only stamped on them) and I had four in my back pack i forgot about..

Now I made it through SNA with no problem (I didn't Know they were there) went to work and returned from SFO that has tighter security and was unpacking at home and I came across them in my bag and I remember trembling thinking oh boy that was some lucky traveling gods looking out for me..

I would of been cleared ultimately but the trouble I would of been looking at and investigation and possible (most likely ban on Flying) would of been horrendous...

SFO always had tighter security Or imop snoopy TSA that I think were outside hired and always seemed to go through my bags. Lucy that one time they did not..

oh jesus, that's actually really dangerous to have on a plane!

gobluetwo Feb 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 22260047)
I actually had three fresh eggs wrapped up in there (leftover from a stay at a Homewood Suites). They didn't notice anything. So either the current settings on some x-rays aren't good at detecting containers with liquids, or the two TSA employees were totally incompetent.

Interesting. I saw another (much older) thread mention eggs. Reason why I care is that my client knows we have some chickens and get 3-4 eggs a day from them. He seems very fascinated by the whole thing (living on the upper west side of Manhattan), so thought I'd bring him a half dozen from our backyard. I'd be carrying them on, though, so just wanted to check others' experiences. If nothing else, I'll report back on my attempt to carry them on.

Randyk47 Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm

I've never tried to deliberately get through security with a banned item except maybe during the lighter ban days when I'd stuff one of the mini-lighters away in my carry-on. That really was at the height of my business flying days and I may have lost one or two to an observant agent but I don't remember any specific incident or issue other than maybe "oops....thought I got rid of that" and in the trash barrel it went. The most recent "honest error" was actually last year in LHR. We were transiting through LHR on our way from the US to Spain and had to go through T5. We didn't catch the distinction that in LHR an iPad is considered a "major electronic" so we left ours in our carry-on like we do in the US. Interestingly, same x-ray and screener, my bag goes through without a mention. My wife's bag is right behind mine and they're all over her like flies on stink. Kind of came off like she'd deliberately tried to sneak the iPad through and she got lectured.....oh yeah....and a substantial delay as she then had to remove every item from her carry-on. She doesn't complain so much now about the TSA.

Schmurrr Feb 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Kubaton
Package of three chemical ice packs
Occasional 20-oz beverages

Maxwell Smart Feb 25, 2014 6:57 am

My dignity. On occasion.

gobluetwo Feb 25, 2014 2:46 pm

So I successfully took through 4 fresh eggs this morning. They never even gave my bag a second glance. Next time - SIX EGGS!

FTcadence Mar 17, 2014 4:03 pm

It seems like a good number of us have accidentally (or otherwise) gotten a few banned items through security, but I doubt that any of us have been quite this vocal about it...

Actress Amanda Seyfriend (who just earlier this month blasted American Air on Twitter) took to her account again this time calling out the TSA. She accidentally boarded a flight with a swiss army knife and wanted to agency to know that they missed it and that she hoped it wouldn't happen again.

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articl...-missed-it.htm

ACtraveler1357 Mar 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Good for her for being so vocal about it. While I have never brought banned items on board, I don't think that I would have the guts to say it so publicly. But then, I'm not Amanda Seyfried.

This has always been on my mind. Has anyone tried freezing a bottle of water, and bringing it on board? Is that banned? Technically ice isn't liquid...

Red259 Mar 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ACtraveler1357 (Post 22540953)
Good for her for being so vocal about it. While I have never brought banned items on board, I don't think that I would have the guts to say it so publicly. But then, I'm not Amanda Seyfried.

This has always been on my mind. Has anyone tried freezing a bottle of water, and bringing it on board? Is that banned? Technically ice isn't liquid...

Next time she will get strip searched by TSA. First thing I thought about when I thought of a bottle being frozen is a dry ice bomb. Probably going to get some unwanted attention from TSA with something like that and I'm sure their position will be that its going to turn into liquid during the flight at which point you will be in violation. ;)

FliesWay2Much Mar 18, 2014 5:46 am

Freedom Bag Follies

I few years ago, a bunch of us here in TS&S cooked up a scheme in which you could actually carry TWO Freedom Bags and get away with it. The scenario would be to use a lot of bins, take out the first Freedom Bag and place it in the first bin. Then, you would use the other 2-4 bins for your other stuff. You would take your second Freedom Bag out of the last item in the last bin and send it through. The first Freedom bag would be through the X-Ray and waiting long before the second one even got started.

I used different kinds of bags with different stuff in each one, so, my story, if challenged, was that one wasn't mine and I had no idea how it got into one of my bins. I tried it 3-4 times with a 100% success rate (once when opting out) before I got bored with the simplicity of this trick and lost interest in keeping it going.

A bunch of us had fun with special greetings on our Freedom Bags, such as "Kip Hawley is an idiot" or "Pistole is a fascist" or worse. Clerks used to harass passengers but they quickly gave up and ignored the writing.

For years, Mrs Flies used a gallon-size Freedom Bag claiming it was the allowable size and was never harassed about it.

iluv2fly Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am

Actually, my record is four baggies in one trip. It did involve a lot of bins and high-end hotel amenities (Hermes). But now with Pre-Check, I only do two on occasion.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 22543618)
I few years ago, a bunch of us here in TS&S cooked up a scheme in which you could actually carry TWO Freedom Bags and get away with it. The scenario would be to use a lot of bins, take out the first Freedom Bag and place it in the first bin. Then, you would use the other 2-4 bins for your other stuff. You would take your second Freedom Bag out of the last item in the last bin and send it through. The first Freedom bag would be through the X-Ray and waiting long before the second one even got started.

I used different kinds of bags with different stuff in each one, so, my story, if challenged, was that one wasn't mine and I had no idea how it got into one of my bins. I tried it 3-4 times with a 100% success rate (once when opting out) before I got bored with the simplicity of this trick and lost interest in keeping it going.

A bunch of us had fun with special greetings on our Freedom Bags, such as "Kip Hawley is an idiot" or "Pistole is a fascist" or worse. Clerks used to harass passengers but they quickly gave up and ignored the writing.

For years, Mrs Flies used a gallon-size Freedom Bag claiming it was the allowable size and was never harassed about it.

FliesWay2Much Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 22545422)
Actually, my record is four baggies in one trip. It did involve a lot of bins and high-end hotel amenities (Hermes). But now with Pre-Check, I only do two on occasion.

Wow -- that's impressive. I guess I just got sent down to the minors. ;)