FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   How Many Banned Items Have You Gotten Past TSA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1543597-how-many-banned-items-have-you-gotten-past-tsa.html)

BSBD Jan 21, 2014 11:21 am

Both of these were accidents, not on purpose:

Pre-9/11, a box full of Black Cat firecrackers in a large carry-on duffle bag that I had previously used on a July 4 camping trip. Boarded a flight from RDU to BOS, found them when I unpacked in the hotel. Left the box with a colleague in Massachusetts.

Post-9/11, two speedloaders for a .38 SPL Smith & Wesson revolver, complete with very expensive law-enforcement-grade +P+ live ammunition, in my briefcase. I had put them in there after a trip to the range to keep them from rolling around in my car, and forgot about them. Boarded a flight from BNA to ATL, found them when I arrived at my business meeting. I rented a car one-way and drove home, because I didn't want to toss the speedloaders or the ammo. After that, I got much more careful about checking my luggage for jail-worthy stuff.

Small novelty-size Swiss Army pocket knife in my shaving kit. I flew all over the world for over 15 years with the knife, never had an issue at any airport. Then last year, an X-ray operator at ATL domestic security saw it in my very lightly-loaded luggage, and that was that. I replaced it with a Gerber Shard.

greasy Jan 21, 2014 11:29 am

This is not TSA but a funny story. Few years back I visited a factory in Mendoza, Argentina. When I left the boss gave me a box of 3 bottles of wine. My first leg was Mendoza - Lima. I carried it with me and boarded like everyone else, it was allowed there. Then when I board the LIMA-LAX flight there was the check point at the gate, the usual one you see for all inbound US flight where they open each carry on bag. When my turn came and the guard opened my bag, she saw this big (unmarked) box and asked me something in Spanish. I had no idea what she asked but I guessed it. And I said "It's a box" She looked around for help but no one was available. And I said again "Its a box" She gave up and waved me in :)

bpratt Jan 21, 2014 11:37 am

Coming back from Hawaii (LIH) to SFO last fall, I forgot that my Swiss Army knife and a bottle of water were in my backpack. Neither got picked up by security, and I didn't even find them until I was unpacking everything at home that night.

The sad part (from a TSA effectiveness point of view) is that I had accidentally packed my photo ID, so I went thru "enhanced" screening in LIH due to my lack of ID.

Bob

rstruthe Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Zippo Lighter I didn't know was in a side pocket of my bag. Got pulled aside for secondary bag search every flight for 3 years, and then let proceed when they couldn't find anything. Finally a TSA agent at Las Vegas told me what they were looking for and I happily threw out the dead lighter and haven't had an issue since.

bobert24 Jan 21, 2014 1:28 pm

4" blade folding tactical knife probably a half dozen times. It lives in my backpack when I'm not flying, and I sometimes forget to take it out. I usually have no idea it's in there until I get back and unpack. I did lose one once, but it was on the return trip - I made it there with it, but they found it (and surprised the heck out of me) in AUS.

Leatherman micra (with a 2" blade) more times than I can count. It's on my keychain, and I just don't think about it sometimes. I have lost 2 over the years, but have since discovered how to make sure the scanner never picks it up. (I was going to say how, but thought better of it.)

And, of course, like everyone else, the liquids never come out of the backpack. I usually have a couple 4-5oz bottles, too. I think they're pretty lax on that at this point - they can see liquids on the xray, and can easily tell if you've got too much. I usually do at least put it in the quart bag, and I've never even been close to that being full.

Zhaunk Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm

I smuggle in a few jars of Bovril paste in my checked bag whenever I return from Ireland/UK...

sr_tipitinas Jan 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Soft cooler full of dry ice and frozen shrimp. TSA never opened it.

roberino Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm

A dozen Kinder Surprise eggs.

Carl Johnson Jan 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by MtlChris (Post 22193330)
Put me in the camp of those who have never used the plastic bag for liquid toiletries, including sunscreen, toothpaste, etc.

I have always attributed that to common sense from the screening staff, rather than incompetence tough. Somehow, deep inside, they also as well as us that some of those rules are just for show.

You mean all?

rudycantfail0 Jan 21, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm at 100% success rate with my full sized tube of toothpaste.

grbauctions Jan 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Around 2008/2009 I was traveling on AA or UA I forget back n forth between SNA and SFO the weekend prior I was In mammoth and was given some seal bombs.. Basically a 1/4 stick of dynamite (State of California official use only stamped on them) and I had four in my back pack i forgot about..

Now I made it through SNA with no problem (I didn't Know they were there) went to work and returned from SFO that has tighter security and was unpacking at home and I came across them in my bag and I remember trembling thinking oh boy that was some lucky traveling gods looking out for me..

I would of been cleared ultimately but the trouble I would of been looking at and investigation and possible (most likely ban on Flying) would of been horrendous...

SFO always had tighter security Or imop snoopy TSA that I think were outside hired and always seemed to go through my bags. Lucy that one time they did not..

xxmimxx Jan 21, 2014 4:19 pm

If you really wanted to ... you could. It is not difficult to get pass the TSA

allanak Jan 21, 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by rudycantfail0 (Post 22196787)
I'm at 100% success rate with my full sized tube of toothpaste.

Same here.

I feel it's also worth mentioning that about 18 months ago a CATSA agent at YFC told me I was only allowed to bring one lighter on a flight and made me throw away a second one. I didn't get an answer when I asked what I could do with two lighters that I couldn't do with one. :rolleyes:

Allan38103 Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm

I saw an airline employee with a full-size fire axe once.

Yes it's true.

rknicker Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Accidentally only.

I carry a pocket knife as a matter of convenience on the weekends. It's gone round trip with me at least three times this winter. A camping axe thru one round trip last year (it worked it's way under the cardboard bottom placemat thingy). Liquids all the time.

They are REALLY good at finding my collar stays and the foil wrappers of Extra gum when they have time to stop talking about who is on break, who is on break next, and who was just on break.