Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The "secret" WTMD line at LAX international terminal (TBIT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS

Every time I pass through LAX on my way to another country, I check in with my carrier (usually CX) and head back to the right corner to go through security.

First you talk to a contractor who puts you in the correct line, then you go down a short hallway and talk to the TDC. As recently as about a year ago you could still do an SDOO by keeping to the left after the TDC (source). But some time in the past year LAX/TBIT switched to 100% NoS machines there (well, they still have a WTMD, but it's hardly ever used, even during peak times).

What's interesting is that once you get close to the machines, if you look off to your left, there is another separate "secret" screening area with only WTMDs and no NoS machines. They generally don't take people off the main line, this area has it's own separate entrance. You can see it after you get through security if you look backwards towards the entrance.

On my last trip through TBIT I looked all around for the entrance and I couldn't find it (before entering the checkpoint), which leads me to believe it's only for people with medical complications or VIPs or something. It definitely did not appear to be in use by pilots or FAMs. I tried handing the initial contractor my TSA Notification card (describing my TSASS, of course) but they didn't even want to look at it, just said show it to the next guy. So they definitely aren't directing all medical cases over there, maybe just severe ones?

So I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed this? And what is the policy that determines who gets put in that line?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by RevJim
Every time I pass through LAX on my way to another country, I check in with my carrier (usually CX) and head back to the right corner to go through security.

First you talk to a contractor who puts you in the correct line, then you go down a short hallway and talk to the TDC. As recently as about a year ago you could still do an SDOO by keeping to the left after the TDC (source). But some time in the past year LAX/TBIT switched to 100% NoS machines there (well, they still have a WTMD, but it's hardly ever used, even during peak times).

What's interesting is that once you get close to the machines, if you look off to your left, there is another separate "secret" screening area with only WTMDs and no NoS machines. They generally don't take people off the main line, this area has it's own separate entrance. You can see it after you get through security if you look backwards towards the entrance.

On my last trip through TBIT I looked all around for the entrance and I couldn't find it (before entering the checkpoint), which leads me to believe it's only for people with medical complications or VIPs or something. It definitely did not appear to be in use by pilots or FAMs. I tried handing the initial contractor my TSA Notification card (describing my TSASS, of course) but they didn't even want to look at it, just said show it to the next guy. So they definitely aren't directing all medical cases over there, maybe just severe ones?

So I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed this? And what is the policy that determines who gets put in that line?
A few years ago (think 2006ish) there were some annex checkpoints in a couple of terminals. They were used during crush times when the flow exceeded the line area, they would call in additional TSOs and open up the annex/overflow checkpoints and use them to draw the lines back down. Could that be what you see off to the side?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by gsoltso
they would call in additional TSOs and open up the annex/overflow checkpoints and use them to draw the lines back down. Could that be what you see off to the side?
It could be yes, but every time I pass through there it is fully open and working. Sometimes when I get to the front nobody is on the "secret" line and they will open up a barrier between the lanes and invite me over.

I'd say 90% of the time it's running at full capacity with a line full of people waiting. Those people don't get pulled off the main line, they came in through another entrance from the ticketing area (if you look carefully you can see through the door back into the ticketing area). So I'm fairly certain it's not just an overflow area, there's some other trick to it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:58 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about and I have no idea how to access that checkpoint without assistance from an airport employee.

Twice I have been directed by TSA to that metal detector only checkpoint and once an airline employee was helping me make my flight (was really late) and after having my docs checked she yelled he is late late late and needs to be screened ASAP.

She lead me into that "special" checkpoint and I was screened there is no time flat and barely made my flight.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.