Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR to Colombia?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
MR to Colombia?

Will i get alot of problems with TSA when coming back to US?

I am from Sweden and iŽll be in New York and Los Angeles for vacation.
I am thinking about going LAX to BOG to gain some miles.
(LAX-EWR-BOG-IAH-DEN-LAX)

I am white young guy travelling alone (under 25).
If we skip the possible problems with explaining an MR down in Colombia. Will i get any hassle when returning back to US just after 2 days? I donŽt want to get stuck in IAH answering 100 questions and miss my flight.

Am i just paranoid?
Some people told me Colombia is a bit "special"?

Anyone with experience?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TSA no. CBP quite possibly. Get Global Entry and avoid it.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by FirstClassSE
Am i just paranoid?
Anyone with experience?
Paranoid, yes perhaps.
I have never had unusual questioning returning from Colombia.
I did get questioned at length one time returning from Stockholm.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I did get a joking "any drugs" from the CBP agent returning from Colombia last year. Should've seen the look on his face when I truthfully answered yes (followed by a quick explanation that we had been on medical missions and the bags were full of prescriptions that weren't distributed). Waved us right on through after that. I've gotten more hassles returning from Europe (or entering Canada).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
IŽll try and see what happens.
I have nothing to hide and hopefully i can enjoy Cartagena for a few days.

I got a look that looks very innocent overall. (CanŽt even hurt a fly-look) so hopefully this will be almost as smooth as when i go to US. WeŽll see.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Get Global Entry and avoid it.
If when he says he's from Sweden, he means he is in fact Swedish (rather than American born in Sweden), then GE isn't an option.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Never lie to CBP officers about why you traveled. Just tell the truth using as few words as possible.

Best options: "It was a Pleasure trip." / "Personal travel."

Other good options (if true in your case):

- "Brief weekend getaway to see a new city."
- "I found a good fare decided to seize the moment."
- "I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to get back for work."

If the officer continues to press you, simply state that you also wanted to collect the frequent flyer miles. This explanation would be IN ADDITION TO everything you already said, not instead of, so you would not be caught in a lie.

Never say you were meeting a friend/family/significant other overseas unless you actually did, and even then, I wouldn't volunteer that info.

Remember, assuming you are a non-USC/non-LPR, the CBP officer at Primary is examining you for admissibility purposes, and also conducting a risk assessment to see if you might be hiding anything that could be potential violations of U.S. laws or immigration/customs regulations.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
The last time I returned from a long in miles and very short in time oversease MR, the CBP officer asked me the purpose of my trip. I asked him, "Do you know what a mileage run is?" He replied with a big smile, "Did you get the miles you needed to reach your status?" And I said "Yes."

"Welcome home."
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:03 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am a Brit and have done Colombia to USA more times than I care to remember.

Given the Hollywood image of Colombia, I am mainly surprised to see that such an image has not filtered down to CBP or Homeland Security.

I have been asked some pretty darned stoopid questions like "What is the skiing like in Colombia this time of year?" but not had any problems specifically related to the supposed notoriety of my origin.

Last month at MIA I was forced to answer all immigration questions in Spanish just to prove... Well I have no idea what this was supposed to prove.

You are flying back in to IAH. Twice I have done BOG IAH LHR and twice the labrador just after the baggage hall has sniffed my balls and condemned me to an extra hour of ridiculous questions in the CBP back room following "the purple line."

This is like 3 years ago, hopefully they will have since realised their dog is broken and have had it euthanised, retired or melted down for glue.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Are you aware that Skiing is a common street term for doing cocaine?

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia

I have been asked some pretty darned stoopid questions like "What is the skiing like in Colombia this time of year?" but not had any problems specifically related to the supposed notoriety of my origin.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Are you aware that Skiing is a common street term for doing cocaine?
No
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:27 pm

I am a Brit and have done Colombia to USA more times than I care to remember.

Given the Hollywood image of Colombia, I am mainly surprised to see that such an image has not filtered down to CBP or Homeland Security.

Last month at MIA I was forced to answer all immigration questions in Spanish just to prove... Well I have no idea what this was supposed to prove.
You are flying back in to IAH. Twice I have done BOG IAH LHR and twice the labrador just after the baggage hall has sniffed my balls and condemned me to an extra hour of ridiculous questions in the CBP back room following "the purple line."

This is like 3 years ago, hopefully they will have since realised their dog is broken and have had it euthanised, retired or melted down for glue.
One. It proves that you at least speak the native language of the country that you are taking many trips to as a United Kingdom citizen. There are many that make those many trips that do not speak a lick of the language. Some of those are not there to see the sights, it is not a tell all proof positive but it is another indicator to look closer.

Second, based on the Port of Entry mentioned there is a chance that the officer was actually more comfortable in the Spanish language than English.

FB
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Firebug4
One. It proves that you at least speak the native language of the country that you are taking many trips to as a United Kingdom citizen. There are many that make those many trips that do not speak a lick of the language. Some of those are not there to see the sights, it is not a tell all proof positive but it is another indicator to look closer.

Second, based on the Port of Entry mentioned there is a chance that the officer was actually more comfortable in the Spanish language than English.

FB
Maybe indeed, although speaking Spanish proves nothing more than I speak Spanish. Does not allude in any way to my intentions.

I am not complaining about any of this, although immigration and customs processes at US airports often leave me baffled and confused. I choose to transit through the USA and the USA has a right to defend its borders as it sees fit. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

As for the OP. Upon your arrival in the USA, you will not be discriminated against because you have come from Colombia, the treatment I get upon arrival is no different to the treatment I get when arriving from the UK.

If anything, any additional US required checks and balances take place before you even get on the aeroplane in Bogotá.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Originally Posted by FirstClassSE
IŽll try and see what happens.
I have nothing to hide and hopefully i can enjoy Cartagena for a few days.

I got a look that looks very innocent overall. (CanŽt even hurt a fly-look) so hopefully this will be almost as smooth as when i go to US. WeŽll see.

Thanks for the quick response.
Go for it, Cartagena is quite nice. I like the Sofitel because it in the old town section and convenient to some good restaurants and the beach.

I just met a collegue from Stockholm in Bogota for work. He purposely avoided transiting the US because of the immigration hassles. Unfortunate but true. Entering Stockholm via ARN for me has always been smooth although my super thick US Passport has caused a few questions since I have an insane business travel schedule.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe indeed, although speaking Spanish proves nothing more than I speak Spanish. Does not allude in any way to my intentions.
The last time I returned from Southeast Asia, I was asked "How did you get around? Do you speak Thai, Cambodian, and Chinese?"

First time I've ever been asked that, not sure why. I wonder what's more incriminating - a single guy returning from Southeast Asia who doesn't speak the language, or single guy returning from Southeast Asia who does.

My guess is that before the CBP officer questioned the frequent Colombia visitor in Spanish, he or she asked him if he spoke Spanish and he answered "yes." Then he was questioned in Spanish to see if he was telling the truth. If, for example, his story was that he spoke Spanish and he was in Colombia volunteering or on business or visiting his fiancee, and then he couldn't answer any questions in Spanish, then his lie would have raised suspicions, perhaps that he was a drug mule who just holed up in a hotel there for a few days on every trip.

I don't know though, Firebug4 is the expert. i just watch "Locked Up Abroad" a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.