Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with an engagement ring

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Insure the damn thing before you leave home and then do not be paranoid about it. Just put it some where safe - like in your shaving kit and forget about it.
This is the best advice of the thread this far. ^

Insure it. Stick it in your shaving kit, carry it on, and travel normally. The TSA wont even notice and French CBP is less motivated than the TSA is observant. The OP can carry the receipt if really paranoid, but nothing will happen. I just spend the last 2 months flying all over the place with a broken watch in the bottom of my computer bag. I forgot about it until I went looking for expense receipts.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
You do realize that:
- your girlfriend is going to wear the ring on one of her fingers if she accepts it
- she is going to someday travel by commercial air in possession of the ring
- she is going to keep the ring on her finger when passing through the metal detector or body scanner

?

Right?

Do you have fingers? Do you have a pinky? Then put it on one of your pinky fingers. If you don't have a pinky, put it on one of your little toes.

You can put the ring back in its box when you clear security.

As for customs in Europe, since this is an item that will be left in Europe, if she accepts, then you should declare it.

Good luck with your proposal!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Insure the damn thing before you leave home and then do not be paranoid about it. Just put it some where safe - like in your shaving kit and forget about it.
^ Exactly!

If you are worried about the time surrounding your opt-out then perhaps, for this one flight, you could opt-in.

It's my impression that the OP's gf/fiance is accompanying him to and from Paris so I would not declare the ring coming or going.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:16 pm
Suspended

let's see how things turn up.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Totally overthinking it. Agree with FlyingUnderTheRadar. Just insure it and take care, but no need to employ elaborate tactics to conceal the ring. I get the fact that it's an engagement ring and represents a big deal (been there, done that), but it's no cause for you to be singled out by TSA or CBP. If you had several of the things in your bag, that's a different story.

Also, good advice to bring the receipt (or a copy).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:09 am

I think you're making too much of this. I travel with my wedding ring and a nice sapphire ring all the time. Before I get to a checkpoint, I take off my rings and watch, thread the watch band through the rings and close the clasp, and then put the whole thing in an interior pocket of my carry-on.

I have made many trips from the US to Asia and Europe and customs/TSA has *never* pulled them out for a second look. (Including the time I got my carry-on inspected at the gate at SLC.)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by carole_d
Before I get to a checkpoint, I take off my rings
Why?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
As for customs in Europe, since this is an item that will be left in Europe, if she accepts, then you should declare it.

Isn't the OP an American? Is he planning on leaving her behind when he returns to the US?

(I believe that the 'pickpockets in Europe' is far overrated on certain travel websites, but I do see very oblivious and easy targets all the time on the streets of Paris)

OP, you asked about the 'red channel' back on page 1. At European airports most commonly there are two exits; green for 'nothing to declare' and red for 'something to declare'. You simply walk through the green channel after claiming your suitcase. It isn't like entering the US from another country.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:35 pm

Why?
Years ago I was on a trip with my aunt and she left behind a watch that she had inherited from my grandma - aunt set off the metal detector and had to remove the watch and then forgot to pick it up from the cup. She went back and the watch was safe and sound, thank goodness.

I decided then and there that anything I valued would be stowed away safely before I get to the checkpoint. My undergarment of choice often sets off the metal detector and then, of course, anything that resembles metal *must* be removed from the body. I've had to take clips out of my hair, take my watch off, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern

Isn't the OP an American? Is he planning on leaving her behind when he returns to the US?
She can't enter the USA without a U.S. passport or green card with an intent to immigrate without getting a visa. So she'll be left behind for a while.

Originally Posted by carole_d
I decided then and there that anything I valued would be stowed away safely before I get to the checkpoint. My undergarment of choice often sets off the metal detector and then, of course, anything that resembles metal *must* be removed from the body. I've had to take clips out of my hair, take my watch off, etc.
I set off the metal detector once in a while, and my wedding ring is never removed. Indeed, good luck trying to remove it. Hasn't been off in years and is there to stay.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
(I believe that the 'pickpockets in Europe' is far overrated on certain travel websites, but I do see very oblivious and easy targets all the time on the streets of Paris)
Get anything good from them?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

So she'll be left behind for a while.
I certainly hope not, considering she is a US citizen and we live together.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Get anything good from them?
Absolutely! Free entertainment! (And stories to share, but they aren't appreciated by many on FT so I don't bother; my friends and colleagues do enjoy them however )

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
That's what I understood as well, hence my questioning why you would be leaving her behind, especially if she accepts! Nowhere is there any indication at all that she is French, that you are meeting her there, etc. And the original post indicates that she is coming with you to France, where you intend to propose whilst on holiday. Glad that my ESL skills understood the story! Best wishes for an exciting trip. (But please don't be one of the ones who provides me entertainment; don't engage with anyone who picks up another ring from the ground and offers it to you - trust me please)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
(But please don't be one of the ones who provides me entertainment; don't engage with anyone who picks up another ring from the ground and offers it to you - trust me please)
Oh, but that can be fun. Was out on a jog along the Siene (just had a xerox of my passport and about 20 euros with me), and was walking my cooldown. Woman did the "hey, look, I found this ring." I said "wow, it's lucky that you found it - let's find a policeman and turn it in." Not sure what language her response was in, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't something you'd say in front of mom.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Would have been helpful if you'd bothered to provide that detail, and the apparent detail that she was traveling with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.