Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Bringing a Digital Multi Meter - carry on or check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:23 am
Original Poster

not sure where to post this but i'm going to bring a digital multi meter and it has needle like probes on the end. Should I leave it in the checked baggage or bring it in my carry on? Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT. Your post is in the right place.

I would bring it in my carry on. IIRC InkUnderNails (a frequent poster) brings one in his carry on as well. Just be prepared for it to be inspected.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would bring it, but if the probes are removable I would probably put those in the checked bag, or at least have another set in the checked bag.

You probably won't have any issue, but you may get the one person having a bad day.....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Welcome to FT. Your post is in the right place.

I would bring it in my carry on. IIRC InkUnderNails (a frequent poster) brings one in his carry on as well. Just be prepared for it to be inspected.
I do not have multimeter. I do not have room. But I do carry on this:

I'm not saying it does not get scrutiny, but it is what I take.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
I have carried mine and additional adapters for aircraft plugs, a 50 ft lead and needle tips and have not had a problem. That includes domestic and foreign travel.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Carry on, no problem IME.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:40 am

At the checkpoint, they could take the probes. They took my Phillips precision screwdrivers, but I could keep the slotted ones. Apparently, the slotted ones are eyeglass tools and the Phillips are weapons.

I check all my tools. While they get searched every time, none have went missing.

Last edited by spyvsspy; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by spyvsspy
I check all my tools. While they get searched every time, none have went missing.
Yet.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Yet.
To be fair, they are my company's tools and I concerned that they my go missing when checked.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spyvsspy
At the checkpoint, they could take the probes. They took my Phillips precision screwdrivers, but I could keep the slotted ones. Apparently, the slotted ones are eyeglass tools and the Phillips are weapons.

I had a TSO argue that my Phillips tips were drill bits. I had to escalate to a supervisor that had at least seen tools, but I doubt they had any idea of higher order information such as lefty loosey, righty tighty.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:09 pm

I see a lot of them... they're fine, but it'd be easiest if you kept it in a section of your bag that wasn't as cluttered- If you're pressed on time, you might want to just yank it out and run it separately. If you get a newbie at x-ray, they tend to freak out with electronics clutter until they're more familiar with what's supposed to be there.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Over here they're allowed as long as the pointy bits are shorter than 6 centimetres.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:54 pm

The tool size limit in the states is 7" for carry on.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
One word...FedEx*

* Full Disclosure -- Used to work for FedEx.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sometimes I check, sometimes I carry on. When I do carry on there are times when I just have to shake my head and sigh. In addition to my camera and laptop, my tools are a digital multimeter, thermocouple, IR gun, AC current clamp, and a dielectric tester in a pelican case. The dielectric tester always gets a reaction, usually not good. One TSA agent tried to tell me the tester was not allowed as carryon. I had to show her my ID that showed my Seattle address and my BP that shows me as a MVPG75k on AS and told her I carry this through security at SEA several times a month without issue. She finally relented after making me promise not to take it out of the overhead bin during the flight. (sigh) She was afraid I might zap someone during the flight. The fact that AS does not have 120V AC at their seats did not make a difference. (I did not tell her that since it weighs 38.5 lbs, using it as a bludgeon would be much more dangerous) I also carry a 10-in-one screwdriver now mainly because the tips can be taken out so the overall length of the screwdriver is less than 7", One TSA agent made me put the tips in a separate ditty bag within my overall tool bag. (really??)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.