Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check Question...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Twice through ORD so far (once UA, once AA), registered everywhere, and no joy.

Needless to say, no one at the checkpoint has the slightest clue why or why not one gets this. Frustrating! If hardly anyone gets selected, and it seems like hardly anyone was while I watched the line, why bother devoting resources to it?
Make sure your name on the ticket (first middle last) matches exactly your Global Entry/Pre-check/Nexus name. That is one large reason why people don't get it...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
...If hardly anyone gets selected, and it seems like hardly anyone was while I watched the line, why bother devoting resources to it?
You may have seen a number of people who didn't belong in the line in the first place, making it not then surprising that they didn't get selected. Just a possibility.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm in the pre-check program (via AA and GE). On my last flight out of lga (on AA), I noticed that there were more people (now) being selected (via the 3 beeps) than I've seen in the past--are others noticing this?
[Are international flights still being blocked (even if only part of an itn)?]
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dagrin
Make sure your name on the ticket (first middle last) matches exactly your Global Entry/Pre-check/Nexus name. That is one large reason why people don't get it...
Thanks, that's entirely possible, I have my full name on the card but only my middle initial on the ticket. Classic TSA not to be able to manage that.

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
You may have seen a number of people who didn't belong in the line in the first place, making it not then surprising that they didn't get selected. Just a possibility.
No, at ORD it's the elite security line. Upon entry they check the boarding pass and then send you down one way or the other.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Thanks, that's entirely possible, I have my full name on the card but only my middle initial on the ticket. Classic TSA not to be able to manage that.

No, at ORD it's the elite security line. Upon entry they check the boarding pass and then send you down one way or the other.
At the ORD UA T1 security a couple weeks ago, the precheck pre-scanner was down, so everyone had to go down the elite line. Made for a long wait. Also silly was that I got my 3 beeps with the "regular" ID checker and had to then get my BP/ID rechecked by the ID checker manning the PreCheck swinging gate.

Very few people were getting the 3 beeps that day.

Also also, I've entered my GE info in my AA profile, but no joy yet. Hopefully next time!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:55 pm

...No, at ORD it's the elite security line. Upon entry they check the boarding pass and then send you down one way or the other.
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with the ORD setup. At SEA I've seen what appears to be people using the precheck line like a line pass to the front of the elite line (which is next to it.) If you don't get 3 beeps at the precheck ID checker station they feed you into the front of the elite line. It appears to me that some people know this and get in the precheck line when they know they don't qualify. (Note: As I mention below the SEA precheck location will change soon so hopefully what I've just written won't give some people the wrong ideas.)

I wish they'd do what I've read they do at some other airports: Position someone at the entry to the precheck line and have them check whether you get the 3 beeps. Then, and only then, would they allow you to enter the precheck line. I understand that the SEA precheck line will be moving to another security checkpoint soon so I'm hoping they'll find a way to weed out those that are trying to abuse it. That would make it harder for those who are qualified for precheck but just don't get the triple beep that time but I'd be willing to accept that when it happens to me.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Member

At SEA I've seen what appears to be people using the precheck line like a line pass to the front of the elite line (which is next to it.) If you don't get 3 beeps at the precheck ID checker station they feed you into the front of the elite line. It appears to me that some people know this and get in the precheck line when they know they don't qualify.
The real problem here is that there is a long line for elites.

QL
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by QuietLion
The real problem here is that there is a long line for elites.

QL
That may be. Before I was eligible for precheck I used the elite line at other checkpoints since I often couldn't see how long the elite line was at the N checkpoint. In any case people don't belong in the precheck line unless they are eligible.

I just read that the SEA precheck line is moving over to the central security checkpoint beginning October 21. Maybe they'll do a better job of controlling entry to the line there.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:29 pm

I have a question about the post stating that United allows anyone to sign up. Does the airline generally allow anyone who signs up on its website to get it, or do people who do this still have to reach a certain level of status before qualifying for pre-check?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
I have a question about the post stating that United allows anyone to sign up. Does the airline generally allow anyone who signs up on its website to get it, or do people who do this still have to reach a certain level of status before qualifying for pre-check?
I opted in on the United website under my account. However, I never received precheck, to my knowledge, until I was provisionally approved for Global Entry. Coincidence? Maybe, as I didn't have my GE number in my UA profile at that time. Also, I'm Platinum.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:52 am

Thanks. I wasn't familiar with the ORD setup. At SEA I've seen what appears to be people using the precheck line like a line pass to the front of the elite line (which is next to it.) If you don't get 3 beeps at the precheck ID checker station they feed you into the front of the elite line. It appears to me that some people know this and get in the precheck line when they know they don't qualify. (Note: As I mention below the SEA precheck location will change soon so hopefully what I've just written won't give some people the wrong ideas.)

I wish they'd do what I've read they do at some other airports: Position someone at the entry to the precheck line and have them check whether you get the 3 beeps. Then, and only then, would they allow you to enter the precheck line. I understand that the SEA precheck line will be moving to another security checkpoint soon so I'm hoping they'll find a way to weed out those that are trying to abuse it. That would make it harder for those who are qualified for precheck but just don't get the triple beep that time but I'd be willing to accept that when it happens to me.
this was happening at MCO, but TSA got wise and are sending the one-beepers back to the end of the expert traveler line. there is no elite or sky priority line at MCO.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:10 am

Somewhat off-topic, but I was at LGA flying UA yesterday and asked the ID checker if she knew when precheck was coming. She said she was hoping it'd be by end of year, but didn't know. I said that at least I know I'd qualify when it was implemented there because I got the three beeps. She said, "That doesn't mean PreCheck." I countered that it has at every other airport and she replied that it means something else, but that she can't tell me what it means.

I literally
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Somewhat off-topic, but I was at LGA flying UA yesterday and asked the ID checker if she knew when precheck was coming. She said she was hoping it'd be by end of year, but didn't know. I said that at least I know I'd qualify when it was implemented there because I got the three beeps. She said, "That doesn't mean PreCheck." I countered that it has at every other airport and she replied that it means something else, but that she can't tell me what it means.

I literally
It can't possibly be expected to mean the same thing it does at every other TSA scanning location, that wouldn't be "random and unpredictable!"

OTOH, I'm not at all shocked by the lack of knowledge on what it does mean, even if it were something else.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by guflyer
I thought the signup was simply to express your interest in the program for whenever you might become eligible (using whatever criteria UA decided to apply).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:32 pm

Twice through ORD so far (once UA, once AA), registered everywhere, and no joy.

Needless to say, no one at the checkpoint has the slightest clue why or why not one gets this. Frustrating! If hardly anyone gets selected, and it seems like hardly anyone was while I watched the line, why bother devoting resources to it?
I guess I don't understand this program at all!

Both my spouse and I have GE and have been approved for Pre-check. We have all our numbers registered with all the airlines and have status with UA (our main carrier of choice). We fly out of SFO (where pre-check is not even on the radar) but were finally in an airport where it is offered (EWR).

I will add that we were on the inbound leg of an international, multi-stop itinerary. We were already through customs and immigration and needed to go back through security to head to SFO and we were denied. No explanation.

If this is a TSA/government endorsed program to which we have chosen to apply, relinquish some semblance of privacy and pay the fee for the privilege of being interviewed and scrutinized before being approved, why is it up to UA to say whether or when we can take advantage of it???

What am I missing???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.