Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are recently-issued RFID passports safe from RFID reading when closed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:30 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by tjl:19172204
The short answer is 'NO'.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
No, they are not, but you can buy woven steel passport covers that will shield it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a7a2/

Also works for credit cards.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: QF Silver
Tons of RFID shielding passport holders on Amazon, just search for RFID passport.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
No, they are not, but you can buy woven steel passport covers that will shield it:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a7a2/

Also works for credit cards.
Originally Posted by Zarf4
Tons of RFID shielding passport holders on Amazon, just search for RFID passport.
I am NOT passing judgement on any particular product or recommendation but I would recommend that you test the RFID shield if you are that concerned about shielding. Not all products work as one would think in actual usage.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
I am NOT passing judgement on any particular product or recommendation but I would recommend that you test the RFID shield if you are that concerned about shielding. Not all products work as one would think in actual usage.
Most any RFID wallet should offer good protection from having a passport skimmed. All you basically have is a cheapie Faraday cage, heck aluminum foil would be great if it was more durable. I picked up a $10 Travelon from Amazon which works well. Of course testing is good but I don't know how the average consumer could 'test' the attenuation, but at work we have a Motorola FX RFID reader in the lab & it does not detect any of our RFID tags inside the wallet (both active & passive).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most any RFID wallet should offer good protection from having a passport skimmed. All you basically have is a cheapie Faraday cage, heck aluminum foil would be great if it was more durable. I picked up a $10 Travelon from Amazon which works well. Of course testing is good but I don't know how the average consumer could 'test' the attenuation, but at work we have a Motorola FX RFID reader in the lab & it does not detect any of our RFID tags inside the wallet (both active & passive).
Beat me to it... It's funny; people just won't believe that this very cheap and low-tech solution works. All they have to do it to try it with their EZPass or other toll transponder.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm not sure if any of the carrying cases/sleaves/covers work, but the hammer I used on my new passport five years ago worked great.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Beat me to it... It's funny; people just won't believe that this very cheap and low-tech solution works. All they have to do it to try it with their EZPass or other toll transponder.
It's more funny that people jump to the conclusion 'that one doesn't believe' when all that was stated is that not all products work as expected in actual usage and if shielding is of concern then a little testing might be warranted.

However, Zarf4 is correct, the average consumer would not have the equipment or probably knowledge to do the testing correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.