Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-tablets with keyboards? In or out?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:58 am
Original Poster

E-tablets with keyboards? In or out?

Seems like more and more folks are moving to tablets for travel such as the iPad and other types. I recently got the new Asus 10 inch TF700 tablet and optional keyboard docking unit so I can leave my laptop at home. They fit neatly in a small portfolio case I found online, not much bigger then the typical leather bound notebook business folks often have.

As usual TSA written policy doesn't mean squat when it comes to interpretation in the field so I wonder if anyone has encountered issues with leaving these inside your carry on bag?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From the blog

Only electronics the size of a standard laptop or larger (for example Playstation®, Xbox™, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Removing larger electronics helps us get a better look at them and also allows us to get a better look at the contents of your bag. If you have a TSA "checkpoint friendly" laptop bag, you can leave your laptop in.)

So I would vote leave it in unless you get one of the people who insists everything be out
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If you have a portfolio with the Transformer + Keyboard, power cord, headphone, phone and its charger that is a lot of stuff and might get hand searched anyway. Even a long look on the belt will slow you down more than the 2-3 seconds it takes to put it back in the case.

I take my similar device out just to avoid the delay I had twice been hit with (nothing unreasonable on the part of the TSA, I looked at the screen and it was rediculously cluttered).

EDIT: OT: Chris, I was contemplating buying the toy you have. How do you like it? Can you type well?

Last edited by exwannabe; Jul 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:59 pm

This is rather hard to determine. Depends on the construction and amount of devices, accessories, or even paperwork you have in the bag. Lastly it'll depend on how well the bag is positioned on the belt and seen by the TSO.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Don't know about the US, but in Europe whenever I have asked about my iPad I have been told to take it out, but the few times I have left it in it has not been commented on.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
OT: Chris, I was contemplating buying the toy you have. How do you like it? Can you type well?
Love it! It suits my needs over a laptop for the type of trips I take and I can even download images from my DSLR to free them up to take more pictures which for me is a real plus!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
I've been through probably 50+ checkpoints with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 left in my laptop bag with the laptop in its own bin and have never been asked to remove it or the bag given a second look.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
TSA at Binghamton has never cared... I've gone through the checkpoint with my tablet both in and out.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:33 pm

At MDW for months there were three different handwritten notes at the three different TDC lines:
a/ Remove your computer from your bag
b/ Remove your computer and your cd player from your bag
c/ Remove all your electronics from your bag.

(Just to confuse the bad guys.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.