Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saline Solution Not Allowed At Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:04 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Saline Solution Not Allowed At Heathrow?

We just traveled through Heathrow last week, and security there confiscated my wife's contact lens solution (about 6 oz.) When I told the security person that saline solution was considered a medical solution and subject to an exception, she told me that there was no exception at Heathrow unless my wife had a prescription for her contact lens solution on her.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it a change to policy? Or was this inspector just talking out of her nether yay-uh?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
from the LHR site itself

Originally Posted by Hoc
We just traveled through Heathrow last week, and security there confiscated my wife's contact lens solution (about 6 oz.) When I told the security person that saline solution was considered a medical solution and subject to an exception, she told me that there was no exception at Heathrow unless my wife had a prescription for her contact lens solution on her.

Contact lenses
I wear disposable contact lenses. Can I carry spare sets or solution in my hand baggage?

Yes, provided that each solution container or lens packet has a maximum capacity of 100ml or less and fits comfortably inside your single transparent liquids bag.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-security/faqs
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
Contact lenses
I wear disposable contact lenses. Can I carry spare sets or solution in my hand baggage?

Yes, provided that each solution container or lens packet has a maximum capacity of 100ml or less and fits comfortably inside your single transparent liquids bag.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-security/faqs
I guess I'm used to the US, where you can have a huge container if you want. I'm surprised too. Good thing I had brought a small container last time I was going through LHR.

Sorry your contact solution got confiscated, though; that's lousy.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
I guess I'm used to the US, where you can have a huge container if you want. I'm surprised too. Good thing I had brought a small container last time I was going through LHR.

Sorry your contact solution got confiscated, though; that's lousy.
Kind of mind boggling they allow it in the USA, given Philippines 434 where the explosive was a liquid carried in a contact lens solution bottle.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Security at LHR won't allow contact lens solutions of any kind in flasks of 120 ml. I've had several confiscated (though also got away with it a few times). For a couple of years I got a doctor whom I visited (not even an eye doctor) to write me a prescription for the lens solution.
Note - I was told each time that they confiscated the solution that I could purchase another at Boots. I wondered whether LHR security staff have shares in Boots and that was their prime motivation for confiscating the stuff.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by CZBB
Kind of mind boggling they allow it in the USA, given Philippines 434 where the explosive was a liquid carried in a contact lens solution bottle.
Not boggling given that the TSA tests contact lens solution that is in containers greater than 100ml.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Hoc

Has anyone heard of this? Is it a change to policy? Or was this inspector just talking out of her nether yay-uh?
Yes, No, No.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
Most agree that the explosive was stabilized in something like cotton balls in the container, so it really wasn't the liquid explosive that most might think of. It was the equivalent of cotton balls soaked in nitroglycerin.

Originally Posted by mre5765
Not boggling given that the TSA tests contact lens solution that is in containers greater than 100ml.
In theory, that is correct. In practice, not really. I have never had any >100ml contact lens solution bottles tested even though I declare them.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA
Bumped into this issue 3 or 4 years ago. My saline was 3.4 oz, which TSA never bothered about, but it was confiscated at Heathrow. First and only time I'd had a problem; now I'm very careful about my saline container size when going through LHR.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat
Bumped into this issue 3 or 4 years ago. My saline was 3.4 oz, which TSA never bothered about, but it was confiscated at Heathrow. First and only time I'd had a problem; now I'm very careful about my saline container size when going through LHR.
3.4oz is exactly 100.55ml so unless LHR is that strict, it should be able to pass.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:20 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
My experience was the same as the OP's. Now I'll take a partial bottle to use up going TO and while I'm in the UK and pack a small bottle to go in my carry-on bag for the return flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.