Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
My watch is a $39.00 digital Timex chronograph that I bought at Target, that along with my wallet and ID’s get locked up in my attaché case when I go through security, I never use the small round bins for my valuables.

I don’t trust my fellow passengers in line or the screeners manning the checkpoints from having sticky fingers, out of sight, out of mind.

Mr. Elliott
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP
My Tag stays on my wrist when I go through...doesn't set anything off. If I must take it off, I just put it in my carry on.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cascade
Breitling goes in my shoe.
How do you get the watch in the shoe without a potential thief seeing you put it there?

It must hurt to walk around like that!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Do any of you reallly believe that someone at TSA knows what a Breitling or TAG or Patek is?

And if by chance their is 1, do you think they can tell if it's real or a fake?

I'm quessing if a watch, and watch alone, is stolen it's because it's "neat looking" colorful, big, fancy looking, expensive looking.

But I'm skeptical someone in the security line would steal your watch because it was real and expensive.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I zip my engagement ring into the change pocket in my wallet, then I zip my wallet closed, then I attach it into my carry-on bag with a large lobster-claw clasp. I do all of this before I am even in sight of the checkpoint. I figure the ring is small enough that a sizable pile of coins will hide it from the X-ray because they are all the same radiographic opacity (metal).
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA
My ring on, if asked to take it off my reply is that is won't come off. I always take my Panerai off and put it in the bin, usually in my hat or messenger bag.

I always make sure that I can see my belongings at all times when going through security and opting out. If I cannot see me belongings I tell the TSO this and move to an area where I can see my belongings immediately. When I do this I am often given a hard time and told not to move but do so anyways.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by SFore
My Tag stays on my wrist when I go through...doesn't set anything off. If I must take it off, I just put it in my carry on.
I have a Tag as well. Best watch I have ever bought myself. I usually put it in my carryon because seems like in the past, it would set off the WMTD. I just had the habit of taking it off and putting it in my computer bag. When I flew last month I forgot to take it off and surprisingly it didn't set it off. In the future, I will keep it on and see what happens.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by mnmme
Do any of you reallly believe that someone at TSA knows what a Breitling or TAG or Patek is?

And if by chance their is 1, do you think they can tell if it's real or a fake?

I'm quessing if a watch, and watch alone, is stolen it's because it's "neat looking" colorful, big, fancy looking, expensive looking.

But I'm skeptical someone in the security line would steal your watch because it was real and expensive.
They may steal any portable thing because it looks interesting, or expensive, or reasonably pawnable, or good enough to be gifted as real, whether it is or not. People who steal may not have a rational, organized agenda. They see it, they want it, they take it.

That said, I left a brief assignment working with offenders knowing considerably more about small items of value than when I started.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I wear a tank watch, so the watchband is leather. It's very traditional. As for jewelry, I usually just wear pearl studs and my wedding set when traveling. Maybe a string of pearls around my neck, depending on my mood. I doubt it would set off any metal detectors. Anyway, I don't take any of it off. I don't go through the metal detector, as I am in a wheelchair. I always ask if it's necessary to remove my jewelry, and am always told it's not. I am given a manual check by a TSA agent. Not my favorite part of traveling.

Ya know, when I was single, it took three dates at nice restaurants and quite a bit of wooing before a gentleman got to where the the TSA agents get with me. In public, no less. Welcome to the 21st century. Sigh.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by silam
For those of you who own expensive watches (or other expensive jewelry I guess) What do you guys do when it comes time to go through the metal detector? I see people leave it on and get wanded, seen it put in shoes, or put into a soft case in the carry on bag and immediately removed on the other side.

Whats your strategy to minimized damage/loss/theft/TSA stupidity?
I never travel with my expensive stuff - that's just an invitation to theft, in airports or in the street - I leave it in my safe, at home.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by celle
I never travel with my expensive stuff - that's just an invitation to theft, in airports or in the street - I leave it in my safe, at home.

Barring visiting dangerous places, what is the point of having a watch if you do not wear it?

I am strictly talking about watches that are not bought as an investment.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
My daily watches rotate between a Cartier and a Girard-Perregaux, usually just put them in my shoe and havent had a problem
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by Tron37b
Barring visiting dangerous places, what is the point of having a watch if you do not wear it?

I am strictly talking about watches that are not bought as an investment.
Your suppose to be IMPRESSED with the mere fact that they own one.

Why would you believe someone owned an expensive watch, if they never took it out of the closet/safe/valt/safe deposit box.............

This article asked about - expensive - the rich people just felt they needed to tell you their watch brand so you new how rich!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
My watch is actually built into my phone (yes, hard to believe, though they actually have had them now for 15+ years), making one on the wrist redundant.

So the "watch" goes into the gray bin along with the wallet and belt.
. Haven't worn a watch for over a decade. My phone goes in my carryon. Wallet in my pocket. No belt. Ring stays on.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Watch and wallet goes into my zipped up backpack. My personal twist is that I organize myself before getting to the security line. Therefore any watchers cannot come up to me in line and pick my pockets. Also prevents nosy security guard at the divest station from determining my contents location (this is more of a Canadian thing than US thing. CATSA staffers move around more often than TSA perps. In Canada it is not uncommon for the divestiture perp to also become the carryon search and swab perp.

Unfortunately this is what is required to make oneself safe at the security checkpoint. I would like it more if I could yell to the Security Swipers "Swiper, no swiping!" and they would just ride off into the sunset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.