Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blood pressure monitor in carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Blood pressure monitor in carry-on bag

We're flying from Brazil to the U.S. From what I've found so far, a small, portable, battery-operated blood pressure monitor would be permitted in carry-on bags. It's small. It goes around one's wrist. Sound OK? Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Should not be a problem, they may ask you to turn it on so make sure it's got batteries in it, but it should be OK.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife has carried one. Nobody's ever looked.

The one thing that would be prohibited would be the old fashioned mercury-tube units. Those are categorically illegal on airplanes, period as a broken unit could endanger the airplane.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I don't even remember the mercury tube kind, but suspect those would have been much bigger (and more fragile). TSA Web site says that they prefer battery-operated devices be in carry-on, vs. checked, bags for ease of monitoring.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoCal
Thanks. I don't even remember the mercury tube kind, but suspect those would have been much bigger (and more fragile). TSA Web site says that they prefer battery-operated devices be in carry-on, vs. checked, bags for ease of monitoring.
I've seen a pretty old one once. I've never seen one in use, though. The problem with them is mercury. It can do very nasty things to aluminum--the aluminum that comprises the body of the airplane.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've seen a pretty old one once. I've never seen one in use, though. The problem with them is mercury. It can do very nasty things to aluminum--the aluminum that comprises the body of the airplane.
That's really interesting! Thanks for the info. ^
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There is a small chance if you meet the wrong clerk that it will recently have become a prohibited item, just they haven't gotten around to updating the website yet.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: DL CO UA
You should have no problem. I flew with one about 6-7 months ago from Fort Lauderdale to Newark. Older TSA guy & I discussed our BP and what meds we were taking, for just about a minute or so. Young guy at Newark asked me what it was, I told him and he said ok .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.