Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport expiration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There is no requirement for a blank page in most countries.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stifle
There is no requirement for a blank page in most countries.
Sure, but even then many countries' passport control personnel still have complained about some of my passports and there being no blank pages (even when there may have been some) or places to stamp in them (even when there is always some place to stamp). [These exchanges or lectures are all the more amusing when I have residency or other entry rights in some of these places and they make a fuss about it -- and I'm also including most of the EU/EEA countries despite the lack of a requirement.]
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Lots of countries are now requesting proof of onward travel out of that country. Having this with a date prior to the expiration of your PP should give you the breathing room you seem to be looking for.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Generally speaking, if you need to have a visa physically put in your passport, you need a blank page. So, if it's a country where you effectively get a multiple-entry visa on your first visit - done at immigration, not before you take your trip - you will most likely need a blank page. Beyond that, I've had immigration officers stamp over other stamps before.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Dovster
That would be right -- if a passport were never accepted as proof of identity. However, if she had brought it in a month earlier, when it was still valid, she would have gotten the SS number.

Her passport may have expired but not her identity.
So then what do you think is the point of the expiration date? Or are you saying that expired documents should be accepted as valid?

People can and do change their name. People change their citizenship. People change as they age and no longer resemble their photo. Therefore, the longer it has been since the passport was issued, the more likely it is to have inaccurate information. You have to have a cutoff somewhere, and it is going to be somewhat arbitrary. I think 10 years is reasonable.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Expired documents are accepted as evidence of identity and/or citizenship under a variety of circumstances. Not sure why 10 years would be reasonable but 10 years + 1 month should be any different than 10 years unless a fan of empowering rather brainless bureaucratic ways and the army of government workers and/or others who feed from such ways.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Expired documents are accepted as evidence of identity and/or citizenship under a variety of circumstances. Not sure why 10 years would be reasonable but 10 years + 1 month should be any different than 10 years unless a fan of empowering rather brainless bureaucratic ways and the army of government workers and/or others who feed from such ways.
I think part of it is to force ID holders to get the next (more secure) version of the ID. Granted there are many sites online that will offer forged IDs. Many will offer the older (but still valid) ID standard until all the IDs issued under that standard expire. As to how good the fake IDs are, and how well they standup to close inspection, who knows...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Could be. I have to renew my Irish passport soon, and will sort of miss having a smiley photo on it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
You'll be fine, don't worry.

The 6 month requirement is meant to be a buffer in case you need to delay your return.
Could you explain the 6 month rule? I'm visiting a Schengen country, Italy, with 1 day less than 6 months on my US passport on the day of my scheduled return flight. Everyone says to get a new passport but as I understand it is 3 months for those Schengen countries validity required. Do I really need to worry the way I am right now??
My scheduled return is March 13,2012 and my US passport expires September 12, 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.