Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aerosol Hairspray & Liquid Makeup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Aerosol Hairspray & Liquid Makeup

It has been a long time since I have flown. I've done some searches but keep finding unclear or conflicting information. Can someone help?
Can I pack aerosol hairspray in my checked luggage?
Can I pack liquid makeup, in a glass bottle, in my carry on? (Flying inside USA)
Any help is appreciated.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to flyertalk

Liquid makeup is fine, 3 oz (edited to add actually 100 mls or about 3.4 ounces) or less, in your quart bag.

Hairspray will probably be fine, as long as it's not flammable. If it's flammable, it's technically not allowed and the question becomes will they open the bag to see if it's hairspray or shaving cream, etc in the can. Non Flammable Hairspray is not a problem.

Last edited by cordelli; Jan 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by newgirl8
It has been a long time since I have flown. I've done some searches but keep finding unclear or conflicting information. Can someone help?
Can I pack liquid makeup, in a glass bottle, in my carry on? (Flying inside USA)
Any help is appreciated.
You can also get small cans of hairspray, if you want to carry it all on, or just save on space/weight in your luggage.

Don't forget to double-bag toiletries in your checked luggage - one day you will be happy you did :-)

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to Flyertalk! There's also a good thread about your question in the "Women's Forum" of FT. You might want to go to that forum for additional information.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:21 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
You can also get small cans of hairspray, if you want to carry it all on, or just save on space/weight in your luggage.
DanishFlyer
Only pump-type hairspray is allowed in your carry-on and of course has to be less than 100mL. Normal aerosol hairspray is not allowed in your carry-on, regardless of the size.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:36 pm
In Memoriam

Who prohibits you from bringing travel size (under 3 oz (edited to add actually 100 mls or about 3.4 ounces)) aerosol cans of hairpsray in carry ons?

The FAA lists it as allowed under a Passenger Hazmat Exception

Medicinal and toilet articles (including flammable and nonflammable aerosols)

Toilet or medicinal articles that are hazardous materials such as rubbing alcohol, flammable perfume and colognes, nail polish and remover, and aerosols (hairspray, shaving cream, etc.).

Last edited by cordelli; Jan 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Only pump-type hairspray is allowed in your carry-on and of course has to be less than 100mL. Normal aerosol hairspray is not allowed in your carry-on, regardless of the size.
The TSA website says about prohibited items:

"Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)"

Now, we all know that what is on the website and what happens on the day may not be related in any obvious way, but I don't see how this can be interpreted as "no aerosols in carry-on". I was taking about a 3.4 oz or smaller can, in the zip-bag.

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:54 pm

I've been packing aerosol hairspray in checked luggage for years and never had any problems. The big can, too.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:50 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by cordelli
Who prohibits you from bringing travel size (under 3 oz) aerosol cans of hairpsray in carry ons?

The FAA lists it as allowed under a Passenger Hazmat Exception

Medicinal and toilet articles (including flammable and nonflammable aerosols)

Toilet or medicinal articles that are hazardous materials such as rubbing alcohol, flammable perfume and colognes, nail polish and remover, and aerosols (hairspray, shaving cream, etc.).
I honestly don't know what prohibits one from having 3-oz cans of hairspray in one's carry-on, but after having numerous 3-oz cans of hairspray confiscated at (oops I mean denied past) security, I have given up trying to take them and only put them in my checked luggage. Based on reading the TSA rules and the FAA regs, it appears that I haven't fought hard enough for my hairspray. I will try again on my next domestic flight, armed with copies of the TSA and FAA rules, and see how it goes.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:42 pm

Yes.

Any help is appreciated.
Yes, conditionally. Each individual container cannot have a volume larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) and all if your liquid items must be able to fit into a single closed 1 quart zip top baggie. Anything larger than the stated amount must be in checked luggage, or items that you cannot fit into the single baggie.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by cordelli
Welcome to flyertalk

Liquid makeup is fine, 3 oz or less, in your quart bag.

Hairspray will probably be fine, as long as it's not flammable. If it's flammable, it's technically not allowed and the question becomes will they open the bag to see if it's hairspray or shaving cream, etc in the can. Non Flammable Hairspray is not a problem.
3.4oz, to be pedantic.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by stifle
3.4oz, to be pedantic.
My bad, I was rounding.

It's actually 3.38140227 oz for those who need to be as accurate as possible.

As Blogger Bob points out in his blog post

We also decided to keep our signage the same to maintain consistency. (Besides, 3.4-1-1 just doesn’t have the same ring to it.)

From a marketing perspective, 3 ounces was easier to remember than 3.4. For the European Union, 100 milliliters was easier to remember than 89. So, behind the scenes, we’ve been allowing up to 3.4 ounces, but it hasn’t been reflected on the web or in signage.

I will correct the post to avoid any confusion.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've never had problems, domestically or abroad, with small (e.g. 2 oz) cans of aerosol products in my "Freddom Baggie".
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:23 pm

Any help is appreciated.
I will add that small cosmetics, such as lip gloss, eye liner, things like that, are not part of the LGA 3-1-1 rule. You do not need to place those in a plastic bag with your LGA items. Some people needlessly do so, and it takes up space which could be used to carry other LGA items.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Some TSOs will expect lip gloss to be in a baggie because it is a gel-like substance. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.