Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Preferred security line for people with one bag???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

This was on MSN this morning. At PIT if you have only one bag you will now be allowed access to a shorter security line. My main problem with this is the last couple times I have flown out of PIT was they didn't enforce the premium security line and in fact there was an article posted earlier this year about how TSA is not enforcing the premium line at PIT. They don't have the time/manpower to enforce a premium line for people who are flying an airline a lot and/or paying a hefty price for a first class ticket yet they can introduce this? I can just see the chaos when someone with 2 bags who is an elite sees TSA isn't enforcing the premium line tries to go over to the line for people with one bag if they are enforcing that.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...=msnbc.msn.com

Air travelers trying to avoid checked luggage fees by taking along extra carry-ons often clog up the works at security checkpoints.

But passengers flying out of Pittsburgh International Airport now have incentive to pack light and check those bags.

Beginning Tuesday, travelers with just one carry-on item will be able to breeze through the airport’s new Express Security Lane, believed to be the first of its kind in the nation.

“Traffic has been increasing at our airport, and the checkpoint lines have been getting longer. This could pull up to 25 percent of the people out of the longer line and improve everyone’s experience,” said Bradley Penrod, executive director/CEO for the Allegheny County Airport Authority.

The express line received approval from the Transportation Security Administration and will be staffed by security officers who will send passengers with both a carry-on bag and another item, such as a computer bag or purse, to one of the other, non-express, checkpoint lines. Jackets will be allowed, but not carry-ons larger than 22" by 14" by 9".

“The program at Pittsburgh International Airport is one example of TSA partnering with airports to improve the passenger experience, while providing world-class security,” said TSA spokesperson Greg Soule.

Frequent flier and registered traveler programs already promise some travelers a quicker path to the secure side of many of the nation’s more than 450 commercial airports, but Pittsburgh airport officials believe they’ve come up with a novel, universally accessible idea.

“Even TSA couldn’t confirm we were the first airport to do this," said Penrod. "But we expect if it works here, other airports will start offering express lanes as well.”
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting concept... curious to see how it plays out. And as long as it doesn't replace elite security lines...

But not a DL topic.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by javabytes
Interesting concept... curious to see how it plays out. And as long as it doesn't replace elite security lines...

But not a DL topic.
Mod-feel free to move this. I just posted it on here because I remember a recent thread on this forum about how poorly enforced the prioirty line was a PIT.

It is my understanding that the airlines pay for the personnel at hub airports for the priority line so I am not sure who is paying for the extra personnel at these lines. It will also be interesting to see if they enforce who can go through this line as poorly as they do the elite lines at some airports.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
“The program at Pittsburgh International Airport is one example of TSA partnering with airports to improve the passenger experience, while providing world-class security,” said TSA spokesperson Greg Soule.
Maybe not DL specific, however if Mr. Soule had used the term "best-in-class" instead of "world-class" it definitely would have had a DL ring to it.....
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM
I think you'll see interest in gigantic rollerboards skyrocket.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
This is pretty much blatant discrimination against women, since we always have two bags (purse plus bag) instead of pockets, because of the way men and women's fashions work. Putting two bags down, instead of waiting while some dude empties all those pockets in his cargo pants, is not any slower. But whatever...it was ever thus and I've long ago given up hope of seeing equality in my little lifetime.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by peachfront
This is pretty much blatant discrimination against women, since we always have two bags (purse plus bag) instead of pockets, because of the way men and women's fashions work. Putting two bags down, instead of waiting while some dude empties all those pockets in his cargo pants, is not any slower. But whatever...it was ever thus and I've long ago given up hope of seeing equality in my little lifetime.
Seriously? Nobody says you have to carry a purse. Even taking into account differences in fashion, there is still way more in the average purse than could fit in an average man's pockets. A wallet, keys, and cell phone should have no trouble fitting in your carry on if you want to go through the express lanes. If you want to carry more than that, it is your choice to carry a purse.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Address the "larger" issue - Carry-on abuse

1. TSA has zero to do with the management of priority lines based on elite status. That's why either an airline / airport / contractor person checks the BP at entry. If pax who don't belong in the line are in the line, that's an issue for the individual carrier / airport authority to take up.

2. The culprit isn't 1 bag vs. 2 bags. After all, even with one bag, you still may need multiple bins to handle laptop (alone) and then other items. Some people put through as many as 5 items (2 bags, 2 bins, 1 small tub for watch, wallet and the like).

3. If carry-on size limits were uniform and strictly enforced, the entire experience would be better, both at checkpoints, boarding and departure. While OH size varies by aircraft & carrier, that has nothing to do with the need for a limit to the steamer trunks folks are manhandling into OH on a regular basis.

Passing smaller aircraft where there will always be a need to gate check, folks with non-compliant luggage should be turned around at the checkpoint. It only takes a few people missing flights while they wait in line at the check-in counter and then again at the checkpoint, to deter abuse of what ought to be common sense.

This will speed up lines at the checkpoint, put an end to the zoo at boarding (after all, who really wants to be first on the aircraft other than to assure OH space -- in the good old days, F was boarded last under the theory that waiting for departure in a plane seat wasn't a lot of fun), and minimize departure delays on the increasing # of flights where OH space runs out.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Often1
The culprit isn't 1 bag vs. 2 bags. After all, even with one bag, you still may need multiple bins to handle laptop (alone) and then other items. Some people put through as many as 5 items (2 bags, 2 bins, 1 small tub for watch, wallet and the like).
This was my first thought as well. I always stop somewhere before I enter the line for security to put my wallet, phone, keys, watch, belt, etc. in my carry-on and pull out my liquids and laptop. By the time I reach the belt, I just have to set things down and walk through.

However, if I were not to do that in advance, it would take me far longer to dig my laptop out of my backpack and get all my other items arranged from 1 bag than if I were to separately carry a TSA-approved laptop bag and my backpack.

In a perfect world, segregating lines by how long it takes you to get through security would be ideal (i.e., TSA's attempt to create "expert" lines at some location). Unfortunately, most people aren't capable of accurately judging this and virtually all frequent fliers will go to the "expert" line even though some of them take longer because they bring so much on board with them.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Beginning Tuesday, travelers with just one carry-on item will be able to breeze through the airport’s new Express Security Lane, believed to be the first of its kind in the nation.
Breeze through anything associated with the Security Lanes?????

Surely you jest.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
2. The culprit isn't 1 bag vs. 2 bags. After all, even with one bag, you still may need multiple bins to handle laptop (alone) and then other items. Some people put through as many as 5 items (2 bags, 2 bins, 1 small tub for watch, wallet and the like).
Agree totally. If I don't check a bag I always have 2 bag, my roller bag and my backpack. If I were to consolidate the two bags it would actually take me longer having the consoladated bag than two bags. I put things like my Ipad, my laptop if I chose to carry it on that trip and reading material, etc tghat I will want to access in flight or the SC in the bacpack. I also have my liquid ziplock bag in one of the backpack pockets so I can just take it out and place it in a bin before I get to the belt.

If I had only one bag I would be holding up the line unzipping the larger rollarbag to get my laptop and liquids bag out and then again repacking the timem after they were on the end of the belt.

With 2 bags when I hit the belt I am ready to go. My shoes are slipped off and the items in my pockets are in my back or already in a bin along with the liquid bag. I have seen travellers who check a bag and only have a small backpack take a lot longer than I do because they do things like wait until it's their turn to go through the nudoscope to take their shoes off, I don't know how many times at DTW I have gotten behind someone in the nudoscope at the parking garage bridge level TSA checkpoint who had to empty their pockets or take their belt off because they didn't pay attention to the annoucnment that all belts, and jewelry must ocme off and everything in your pockets must be emptied, etc.

I think in addition to the security podium line for premiums, it would help to have a belt devoted for expert flyers as well and the ONLY people that could use that would be people who either have a premium boarding pass or can produce a premium frequent flyer card from another airline. I have noticed at MDW since they have started restricting the lines that used to be for "frequent travelers" to only those who can go through the premium security line by the podium, the time to get through security is MUCH faster.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I have noticed at MDW since they have started restricting the lines that used to be for "frequent travelers" to only those who can go through the premium security line by the podium, the time to get through security is MUCH faster.
I believe that has been the case for some time at STL, at least in the Delta wing.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Actually, that's the point of the post -- that you would have to get rid of the purse to use this "one bag" line. I've been behind male travelers in line before. We all have. It takes one second to drop a purse in the tray. By contrast, the man puts his stuff in the tray, goes to X-ray, beeps, gets sent back, is feeling around for all his pockets for whatever the hell it is, finds a quarter or an old watch or an extra set of car keys, throws it in the tray, goes back to X-ray, beeps again...and meanwhile I'm tapping my toes wondering why it takes men so long to get organized. And you know the reason? It's because they have lots of crap distributed in too many pockets, instead of all it neatly arranged in a purse!

This won't save time. There is no way it CAN save time because the idea is stupid and silly. It merely discriminates against sensible women.

The guy I travel with most frequently is a cargo pants wearer, and it takes him 10 to 15 minutes longer to go through Elite security lines than it does for me to go through the same lines. I only have to see this happen a few dozen times a year to figure out that most of you guys just never catch on...I'm always waiting for him airside. He is never waiting for me. Same with my husband, but my husband at least has the excuse of not traveling so often by air.

Seriously? Nobody says you have to carry a purse. Even taking into account differences in fashion, there is still way more in the average purse than could fit in an average man's pockets. A wallet, keys, and cell phone should have no trouble fitting in your carry on if you want to go through the express lanes. If you want to carry more than that, it is your choice to carry a purse.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say anything about two bags being slower or faster than one bag. I'm probably faster with my carry-on + laptop bag. The laptop bag opens flat and I don't have to take anything out.

My only point was that no one forces you to carry a purse. I could carry a purse too, and probably be faster than other men emptying their pockets. But if the rule is one item, that's what it is, and it would by my choice to carry or not carry a purse.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't say anything about two bags being slower or faster than one bag. I'm probably faster with my carry-on + laptop bag. The laptop bag opens flat and I don't have to take anything out.

My only point was that no one forces you to carry a purse. I could carry a purse too, and probably be faster than other men emptying their pockets. But if the rule is one item, that's what it is, and it would by my choice to carry or not carry a purse.
I am sure TSA isn't going to consider the purse to be a second bag anyway unless it's one of those huge bags. Or the woman can simply just put her purse in her rollerbag before she gets to the checkpoint and take it out after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.