Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curious about aborted landing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I don't understand - if this is a safety issue there must be a record, right? Is there really no way to tell what happened?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
I'm impressed with the operator/ops supervision-level knowledge here on this thread.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mattg
I don't understand - if this is a safety issue there must be a record, right? Is there really no way to tell what happened?
An aborted landing (go-around) is not a safety issue absent any other factors and, as such, is not reportable.

Happens all the time and probably not as dramatic as portrayed by OP.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Airliners do not initiate go-arounds after touchdown. It doesn't happen.

You can have a situation where a go-around is initiated at a very low altitude (~50') and the aircraft touches down in the process. This normally only happens on very low visibility approaches.

Originally Posted by GateHold
And you were NOT climbing at 45 degrees. Half that at MOST.
Even less than that. Pitch attitude would be around 15°-18° which would result in a flight path more like 8° or 10°.

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
Asymetric reverser deployment.
That would be a very bad idea. You never initial a go-around after thrust-reverser deployment. When doing touch-and-goes in training it is emphasized that if the spoilers extend, or thrust-reversers deplay, the airplane will stay on the ground.

Asymmetric thrust-reverser deployment is not a problem. Thrust reversers can be deferred maintenance items in normal operations which result in asymmetric thrust-reverser on ever landing.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by 16A
I know the Canadian regs have a requirement (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...25-005-961.htm) to allow for full power takeoffs after reverser deployment (after this incident - http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19780211-0). In that accident, the crew encountered a snowplow on the runway after selecting reverse thrust. They attempted a go-around, but one of the reversers didn't retract correctly and the crew lost control.

One of the sections of the Transport Canada guidance to the regulation is interesting:

"An Aeroplane Flight Manual limitation prohibiting a go-around following reverse thrust operation may be required, but is not considered adequate, by itself, to demonstrate compliance with the reference regulations."
Apparently Boeing had never contemplated someone would try a go-around after reversal deployment; and that caused the YXC crash
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Having been on both sides of a go around I can say that they are more common than you think, especially at busier airports. It is an operation to ensure the safety of the flight. The reasons for a go around vary and are not always apparent to the passengers on board.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
It is nice to know they have these contingencies planned.

Uh, yeah. They don't just make this up as they go along. Aviation has done an incredible job of engineering out accidents with hardware, personnel training, CRM, ......

Semiconductor is probably the only other industry that approaches process control so thoroughly....and they have much less meddling human element to deal with...

:-)

:-)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Forgot to add my last go around story...

On final into EWR, when ground fog closed runway. Pilot came on to announce, as s/he was doing so, flaps were being retracted and came in asymmetrically.

We were right over runway, and suddenly veered left 90 degrees ....guy to left of me caught eyes and raised eyebrows. "Hmmm, that was interesting"

Diverted to Harrisburg and landed "at unusually high speed" without flaps. Crew did a good job coming on and saying the landing would be a bit noisier than most
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by MavSeven
Once again, and no offense to the OP at all, but passengers generally have a pretty poor view of what actually is happening at any given moment.

From what I gather, the OP said they touched down, and then "a second" later the pilot "hit the thrust".

Well, turbofan engines don't work like that. It takes them anywhere from a second to three seconds to spool up from flight idle to TOGA thrust.
Perhaps you're looking too literally into his choice of words.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:18 am

I am not pilot but should not it be warned before starting the operations for landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.