Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dick Cavett Opt Outs Himself

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I wonder if you could get away with putting a 6oz bottle in your kippie bag but labeling it "3.4oz/100ml"?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I wonder if you could get away with putting a 6oz bottle in your kippie bag but labeling it "3.4oz/100ml"?
I wouldn't surprise me if you could. From what I can see in some areas it takes the entire staffing of a checkpoint to equal one brain.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I sometimes carry 1 or 2 flasks with booze in them. 9 out of 10 times the TSO checks the "3 oz" engraved on the bottom. Once a TSO started to open one at which time I said, "it's full, don't spill it." He asked a two striper if I could take them and the answer was, of course, yes. ^
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In Dick Cavett's honor, I sort of feel obligated to tell male TSO's my name is Spiro Agnew. (very obscure joke)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yes. It works somewhere close to 100% of the time. The mindless drones are trained to read the label. No label, no entry. If the label says 3.4 or less, proceed merrily to the promised land. Print you own adhesive label. Easy peasy.

The interesting part is how big of a container can be used for this trick? I'm thinking the sharper clerks will catch on more and more as the container approaches the size of a coke can.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ScatterX
The interesting part is how big of a container can be used for this trick? I'm thinking the sharper clerks will catch on more and more as the container approaches the size of a coke can.
Just label it "Net Wt. 3.4 oz". They apparently haven't figured out the rules of toothpaste yet.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by OnTheAsile
A friend told me that whenever they abandon a liquid filled bottle, the cap seems to mysteriously come undone. Must be that the Genie in the bottle wants out!!!
I suggest a 5oz bottle of cat pi$$ with a loose cap thrown in the bin. Bet it would make the nightly news!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Every article like this is a step in the right direction!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Just label it "Net Wt. 3.4 oz". They apparently haven't figured out the rules of toothpaste yet.
How about a label that says "Nit Wit. 3.4 oz."? Right over there heads I'd bet.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Spose they wouldn't see the "humor" in having the label "plastic explosive" on it. Then when they say, "You know this is forbidden". And I say "I also know labels are not a requirement, but some of you tell me it is anyway"
Or to see if the screener really is smarter than a 5th grader, label it "6H2(NO2)3CH3" (2,4,6-TriNitroToluene.) When then forced to throw in the "voluntarily given up at the point of a gun" bin, throw it in a very high arcing path, immediately stick fingers in ears and suck in breath.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
Every article like this is a step in the right direction!
It's also the 8th most e-mailed article on today's list in the NY Times. That is a great sign that the public has had enough.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
How do you get your cat to pee in the bottle? Ours would never do this because he would be afraid of us testing it for illegal substances!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:02 am

Cat pee, dog, coyote, pig, wolf, bobcat - they are all premixed for you.

predatorpee dot com
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Rondall
How about a label that says "Nit Wit. 3.4 oz."? Right over there heads I'd bet.
Challenge of the day:

Get one of these:

Label it as 3.4oz and try to get it through the checkpoint.

I give everyone 50/50 odds on success.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BamaDude
Since when have bottles in the Kippie Bag required labels? The tsa.gov web page on Kippie Bags (http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm) makes no mention of any such requirement.
Bottles are not required to have labels, but that doesn't stp the TSA from making up a label rule on the spot. I've run into this too -- and have had the TSA supervisor back up his ill-informed underling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.