Search

SFO T2 Metal Detector & Random Beep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
SFO T2 Metal Detector & Random Beep

Hey everyone,

I have a question about SFO T2. It's one of the few places that still don't have the body scanners.

Yesterday I was randomly picked for additional screening because the metal detector beeped. I had to wait for 10 minutes inside this glass box thing waiting for somebody to come get me. I politely asked for my wallet because it's my wallet and I had cash it it and due to a pole, I could not see my bags.

After waiting 10 minutes, the only thing they wanted to do was check my cell phone and scanned it for bombs. They were not interested in anything else.

Does anyone know if this was random or "random"? I do give them credit that it made it as if the metal detector randomly picked me.

Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Mrs. INK got this at BNA. Was pulled to the side. The screener told her that her necklace was pretty and sent her on her way.

What?

I had retrieved all of her stuff off the belt and she had no belongings to examine.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had this happen to me 3 weeks ago at ORD, the WTMD beeped even though I had nothing on me that would set off the detector. I was told to stand in the box and wait, but I was able to see my belongings on the conveyor belt with no problems.

Within a minute a screener opened the door, and she asked me to point out my belongings, then she only swabbed my shoes for ETD, which tested negative and she told me I was good to go.

She was so fast with the swab I didn’t have time to ask her to change her gloves and use a clean swab.

Mr. Elliott
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Last time it happened to me was at JFK in the DL terminal. The process there consisted of a complete grope as well as swabbing of everything, including opening the carry-on bag. 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
My favorite is the beep after I am 3 steps past the WTMD. And I do not walk fast, since this is a sure way of setting it off. I looked to the TSA person and told them it must be them and not me since they were between me and the detector. The look was priceless.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I had this happen to me 3 weeks ago at ORD, the WTMD beeped even though I had nothing on me that would set off the detector. I was told to stand in the box and wait, but I was able to see my belongings on the conveyor belt with no problems.

Within a minute a screener opened the door, and she asked me to point out my belongings, then she only swabbed my shoes for ETD, which tested negative and she told me I was good to go.

She was so fast with the swab I didn’t have time to ask her to change her gloves and use a clean swab.

Mr. Elliott
Identical thing happened to me Friday PM departing LGA. WTMD beeped (it was a different type of beep than if you actually set it off) and all they did was swab my luggage. Took 3 minutes and I was on my way. I was initially annoyed because I thought I was going to have to get a groping.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by swanscn
My favorite is the beep after I am 3 steps past the WTMD. And I do not walk fast, since this is a sure way of setting it off. I looked to the TSA person and told them it must be them and not me since they were between me and the detector. The look was priceless.
^^^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.