Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexb133
If you have a felony (or a serious-misdemeanour), that's guaranteed to never come off your record. I know no jurisdictions that expunge such a conviction.
Illinois will expunge certain class 4 felony drug crimes and seal certain class 4 prostitution crimes.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:12 pm

No, because you have to be part of a CBP Trusted Traveler Program.

No trusted traveler programs allow it.

I don't think its too high of a standard. Trusted travelers are granted a very special privilege by not having to speak/be questioned by a border officer. They're not about to grant that privilege to someone with a criminal past (even minor).
That's true. It's too bad some Nexus approved travelers break the law using Nexus:

http://news.weblinxx.ca/2011/07/18/nexus-border-pass-holders-caught-smuggling/
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by mileena
Thanks. I will check again, just to be sure. I don't mean to change the topic of the thread. I have 10 misdemeanor convictions in one state from the 1990's for writing bad checks and driving after license suspension. In another state I have a misdemeanor conviction for shoplifting, and 5 arrests for ID theft (for one incident), which were dropped.

Not that it matters, but I also have 4 active traffic arrest warrants for failure to pay fines in one state (they can be taken care of by simply mailing in the fines), and one active misdemeanor arrest warrant in another state for not showing up for my arraignment. I want to take care of those, but the arrest warrants are all the way across the country in other states, and I don't have the money to travel. Luckily, the warrants are not listed in the interstate NCIC and they don't want to extradite, so I won't get picked up, as long as I stay out of those two states.
Holy s***. Well at least your honest lol.
10 misdemeanor convictions, and five arrests for identity theft is hefty. Also you have active warrants (you should take care of those btw)

I've worked for a law firm in the past and I know how "being arrested but not convicted" looks like in the eyes of both attorneys and courts..
It's assumed that you probably did it, but they just weren't able to prove it.

I doubt that you can get your record wiped, in fact, I'm surprised at your reaction.. When you said "its too bad it follows you for the rest of your life", I thought you did something stupid like public intoxication..

This is quite a record though. You can't realistically expect it to be wiped.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:34 pm

That's true. It's too bad some Nexus approved travelers break the law using Nexus:

http://news.weblinxx.ca/2011/07/18/nexus-border-pass-holders-caught-smuggling/
Your right, it is a shame, because that's gonna ruin it for the rest of us who are actually honest and don't abuse the privilege.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your right, it is a shame, because that's gonna ruin it for the rest of us who are actually honest and don't abuse the privilege.
That was my thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening that way.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
That was my thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening that way.
I hope not. I'm all for hefty penalties though, if they do catch you abusing the NEXUS lane.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:33 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. . . and I don't have the money to travel.
Silly question: why do you care about TSA trusted traveler status then?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Silly question: why do you care about TSA trusted traveler status then?
That's what I'm wondering too...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:45 pm

Well that's a good question.

Take a look at this pic:

The lane with no traffic is the Nexus lane! The lanes with traffic backed up are the non-Nexus lanes. I figure if I am a trusted traveler, I won't have to wait in line, even though I will travel internationally rarely. So it's worth it.

Plus I love to have official ID (I just ordered a passport and a passport card, and am considering getting a bus ID). Having a Nexus card will just add to my collection!

EDIT: why isn't the picture showing above? I checked my settings and there is I have pictures turned on.
Here is the link for the pic:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABP...004118504.html

Last edited by mileena; Aug 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reason: added more info
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Well that's a good question.

Take a look at this pic:

The lane with no traffic is the Nexus lane! The lanes with traffic backed up are the non-Nexus lanes. I figure if I am a trusted traveler, I won't have to wait in line, even though I will travel internationally rarely. So it's worth it.

Plus I love to have official ID (I just ordered a passport and a passport card, and am considering getting a bus ID). Having a Nexus card will just add to my collection!
Is it really worth giving all your personal information to a dishonest and incompetent agency just to rush to the front of the line to get harassed like everyone else?

There are better ways to do it. Fly and get elite status. That'll save you a lot of time. Well worth the price without giving up your freedom and privacy.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Is it really worth giving all your personal information to a dishonest and incompetent agency just to rush to the front of the line to get harassed like everyone else?

There are better ways to do it. Fly and get elite status. That'll save you a lot of time. Well worth the price without giving up your freedom and privacy.
That's a good point. I guess I'll have to weigh the benefits of having another ID and fast transit (at least via car at some border crossings) with the negative of giving away all of my info. Actually, with the criminal record in my case, the point is pretty moot.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:20 pm

A bus ID?

In any event, in your situation (even if you could qualify for Nexus membership), the benefits wouldn't outweigh the costs. I cross the US/Canada border between 50-100 times per year (as do most, but not all people who have NEXUS).. If I only went once or twice per year, I wouldn't give out all my personal information for the benefit of expedited clearance.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you get a probation or parole ID from some state?

. . . I wouldn't give out all my personal information for the benefit of expedited clearance.
Well, it looks like the government already has his fingerprints and a lot of other info, so I don't see a big problem there.

Originally Posted by Superguy
There are better ways to do it. Fly and get elite status. That'll save you a lot of time.
True. I must note that it has not been stated that this TSA thing will only be open to elite-level fliers.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Can you get a probation or parole ID from some state?
Hahahahaha.

Btw - Milenna do you have a driver's licence? Or are you not allowed to get one because of your tickets?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

A Nexus ID is not particularly impressive as ID cards go. Wile it has a nice hologram, the photo is low res black/white, and it doesn't even state the issuing authority on the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.