Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ATF678
Definitely YMMV.

I was bringing a mitutoyo caliper to China on one of my trips and the TSA agent at EWR said I was not allowed to take it because of the sharp "blades". I explained to them what it was for and they had to get the supervisor. The supervisor immediately knew what it was and said it was ok. I'm pretty sure it would have had it taken away if not for that "knowledgeable" TSA supervisor.
It a good thing the Stupidvisor took your side. Otherwise that caliper would be in the screeners basement work shop now.

Had a "mini" tool taken in Omaha. I wrote to TSA, and they apoligized & offered to send it back to me, *BUT* they couldn't seem to find it. I wrote back and told them to check the screeners pocket. I didn't get an answer after that.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
You might want to invest in a set of calipers like this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults
Made by SPI and over the last 9 years have proven to be accurate & reliable. TSA hasn't taken 'em away.....yet.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
They might tell you, "Sorry, it's a new test only at this airport. We got a memo about calipers, but I can't show it to you because it's SSI. The website is out of date."

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.