Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Lying or Misleading Pax?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A well-informed populace is not something the TSA or "security" apologists generally fancy. That the TSA would lie or otherwise mislead passengers or the broader general public, well this would be par for such course of their own making.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:20 pm

[QUOTE=WIRunner;16788532]"When I go to the dentist, I get a lead apron. Here I get a 'Raise your arms and stay still' I'll pass."
QUOTE]

Yeah, last time I was at MSP I specifically asked for a lead drape to protect my reproductive organs. At first they didn't understand what I was talking about, then when I continued to point out that every time I've ever had xrays taken (and as a bone cancer survivor, I've had plenty), the technicians were careful to protect my ovaries from the radiation with lead. ("You know, like, at the dentist??") They were still confused, but then managed to come up with something about it being "not necessary".

Sigh...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
<snip>

I would say that there is no scientific question whether the MMW systems, especially given their dose/wattage, could cause health effects in humans. If you have ever used a cell phone or a microwave oven, you have placed yourself in far more 'danger' than the MMW systems the TSA uses. In all likelihood, any studies on the MMW systems would show that they are actually safer than the WTMDs, which can interfere with pacemakers, etc.
Thank you for a very good explanation of the technology. I don't disagree with a single thing you've written.

However, from a public health perspective, we simply don't have any idea whatsoever of the long-term human health effects of these machines. It may very well be nothing.

Absent this information, from tests conducted by respected 3rd party, peer-reviewed labs on actual machines, it is irresponsible and reckless to demand sending an entire population through these machines just to "see what we can see."

I still won't go through the MMV systems. The political reasons are much more significant that the medical ones, IMO.
Agreed.

A strip search is a strip search no matter how it is rendered.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:43 pm

It is fairly obvious that 'they' (whoever 'they' are) have given the phrase 'sound waves' to the screeners as the party line.

Regarding the backscatters; Blue = bad
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:03 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Today I left RDU, and managed to escape the NOS and went thru the metal detector without a Freedom Pat (TM). The sign I saw was simply dumbfounding. It was explaining that the machine uses sound waves to view an image of your body.
If such signs exist, stating that sound waves are used, we need a photo to document the lie.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:23 pm

Don't know if this has been asked before. Everyday, millions of people submit to MRI's. Huge money is made off that technology. Is it certified safe? Which one is more dangerous? I'd really love to know the answer. Every time a soft tissue injury is suspected, they tell me an MRI is the only option. I guess for those who travel weekly, these radiation exposures get to be a serious matter. But what about those of us who travel a maximum of once a year? Look at those guys who enter Fukushima Daichi. They are probably getting ten thousand times as much radiation.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:34 pm

Ultrasound is so safe it is the preferred, harmless techniques to study fetuses. Yet we also use ultrasound to crack and crumble kidney stones, and the process can generate tissue damage to the kidneys. If you used an ultrasound lithotriptor directly on a fetus, it would probably be the equivalent of an abortion.

Likewise, if you put your head in a microwave oven and cooked it for a few minutes, there would be health effects. But as the microwaves are used in the airports? I wouldn't argue with someone who asserted that "MMW is no more dangerous than a sonogram". I do think it is lying to say MMW "uses sound waves" or is "the same as a sonogram". If your employees are not intelligent enough to make that distinction, it is unethical to provide them with information they are likely to misconstrue and use to mislead passengers.

The DNA unzipping you are referring to occurs when the microwaves produce enough heat (like 95 degrees C) to denature the DNA. You would be screaming in pain long before your DNA unzipped. And even then, the unzipping will completely reverse as soon as it cooled down. The process is analogous to melting and re-freezing an ice cube. The water doesn't get 'damaged', and neither does the DNA.

I would say that there is no scientific question whether the MMW systems, especially given their dose/wattage, could cause health effects in humans. If you have ever used a cell phone or a microwave oven, you have placed yourself in far more 'danger' than the MMW systems the TSA uses. In all likelihood, any studies on the MMW systems would show that they are actually safer than the WTMDs, which can interfere with pacemakers, etc.

I still won't go through the MMV systems. The political reasons are much more significant that the medical ones, IMO.
In all seriousness... you sound like you are very knowledgable. Do you have any independent data to back up your assertions? It could be very useful.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Don't know if this has been asked before. Everyday, millions of people submit to MRI's. Huge money is made off that technology. Is it certified safe? Which one is more dangerous? I'd really love to know the answer. Every time a soft tissue injury is suspected, they tell me an MRI is the only option. I guess for those who travel weekly, these radiation exposures get to be a serious matter. But what about those of us who travel a maximum of once a year? Look at those guys who enter Fukushima Daichi. They are probably getting ten thousand times as much radiation.
MRI subjects the subject to strong magnetic fields and RF (radio frequency) electromagnetic radiation. Most likely the adverse effects of these on health are minimal, if not nonexistent.

A CAT scan (or CT scan), on the other hand, uses x-rays, which we know have cumulative adverse effects on living tissue.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Bungnoid
MRI subjects the subject to strong magnetic fields and RF (radio frequency) electromagnetic radiation. Most likely the adverse effects of these on health are minimal, if not nonexistent.

A CAT scan (or CT scan), on the other hand, uses x-rays, which we know have cumulative adverse effects on living tissue.
However there is a much, much smaller (if it exists at all) subset of the population going through MRIs or CT scans several times per week or month than going through airports. And, like with chemo and radiation therapies for cancer, in those cases the medical benefits have been determined BY QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS to outweigh the risks of radiation exposure. The equipment is also maintained to a verifiable standard.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
WRT the title of the thread, it is part of the SOP...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bungnoid

And to add, to answer LuvAirFrance's question from above in more depth, MRI is the best imaging technique for soft tissue injuries. However, I'm of the opinion less is more and only order such studies if the injury is serious and I can't rule out the area of concern through other means.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:37 pm

...</snip for brevity>
Bolding mine.
Do MMW's interfere with hearing aids?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Likewise, if you put your head in a microwave oven and cooked it for a few minutes, there would be health effects. But as the microwaves are used in the airports? I wouldn't argue with someone who asserted that "MMW is no more dangerous than a sonogram". ...

The DNA unzipping you are referring to occurs when the microwaves produce enough heat (like 95 degrees C) to denature the DNA. You would be screaming in pain long before your DNA unzipped. And even then, the unzipping will completely reverse as soon as it cooled down. The process is analogous to melting and re-freezing an ice cube. The water doesn't get 'damaged', and neither does the DNA.

Agree completely.

Further, the DNA "unzipping" theory comes from two papers by the same researcher, modelling (not measuring) effects at ~1 THz (=1000 GHz) and has been met with skepticism by the rest of the research community. Even in those papers, the conclusions were pretty tentative. MMW in airports use 20 - 30 GHz, much lower than THz, and closer to the bands used by, for example, the automatic door sensors in public buildings.
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Bolding mine.
Do MMW's interfere with hearing aids?
No. The energy from MMW is similar to that from cell phones, WiFi, auto door sensors, etc, but at lower power levels.

Like Janet, I object to MMW scanners on political grounds (and privacy, and cost, and speed, and effectiveness, and the risk of theft of my personal items) but not on health grounds.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by JumboD
However there is a much, much smaller (if it exists at all) subset of the population going through MRIs or CT scans several times per week or month than going through airports. And, like with chemo and radiation therapies for cancer, in those cases the medical benefits have been determined BY QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS to outweigh the risks of radiation exposure. The equipment is also maintained to a verifiable standard.
What does it matter what subset is radiated? I remember getting a ct scan for intestinal gas. They concluded it was gas when the scan was negative. But I think these scans are used rather casually in the name of some alleged good. I still don't believe 99 percent of what is being done is justified. A point is often made that the 9/11 conspirators got by the rules in force at the time of the 9/11 attack. So why hasn't the result been a precise upgrade of the rules to deal with the recognized threat instead of this massive boondoggle that does not appear to relate to any known threat? Isn't this like a guy reacting to a stock market crash by fearing any sort of financial operation involving people outside his intimate circle (I could have said gold bars in the safe deposit or wads of bills in the mattress, but it doesn't even have to be that extreme to be out of proportion).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by barbell
And to add, to answer LuvAirFrance's question from above in more depth, MRI is the best imaging technique for soft tissue injuries. However, I'm of the opinion less is more and only order such studies if the injury is serious and I can't rule out the area of concern through other means.
... your kind of choice helps to effectively save money, but it doesn't do much to cover the cost of the equipment or to make a quick buck for the manufacturers of the MRI machines, its suppliers, other service providers, its buyers and users.

Build a machine and build an industry around it, and it will get purchased and used a lot more than minimally necessary for a given level of effectiveness. Given unethical people are involved who have a "see you more later, sucker" approach and the government has bought into this, and its no surprise that we have the strip search machine purchase-and-use orgy at airports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 25, 2011 at 4:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.