Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Where to complain stuff added to suitcase and all thrown around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles

Hi, I went from MIA-LAX and then overseas. I picked up my cases to clear customs and then dropped them on for my next flight. Upon arrival, I brought my luggage home and unpacked. One suitcase wasn't like I packed it. Upon opening it, I noticed some strange green coated wire twisted into a knot and an opened luggage lock (not mine, mine is missing). Then a pen with some writing, business and address on it. Underneath them was a large empty purse that I had packed on the bottom of my suitcase to have some padding. I had some food packed in a freezer bag that was completely allowed to be brought in and that too was tampered with and the bag was torn pretty badly (it was a brand new bag when I put it in the case) and my food was tampered with too.
In addition to this, all the other items were pulled apart and a brand new sweater now has a snag in it (tags still on). Then digging further, I found some other odd things placed in my suitcase that weren't there in the first place. I feel very odd and violated about this.
Strangest of all, there is no tsa paper in there saying they went through for security reasons or whatever.
I have NO idea what to do. I really can't think of what may be stolen or missing from the bag. Not to mention how creepy the whole thing is!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Peace,
VMC
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:28 am

Send a letter to your congressman.

Because TSA does not care.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TsaAbuseWatch

Lovely.... So basically tough s**T for me eh?
They didn't even leave a slip inside.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: TSA
All of the contact information for TSA is found on this page:

http://www.tsa.gov/contact/index.shtm

I will tell you, that this does sound weird, normally if there is theft you will simply notice that an item(s) is missing. This sounds unlike anything I have heard of before. I have heard of someone having the wrong lock on the bag, having something placed in the bag that is not theirs (like a shirt, a hairdrier, small items like that), but not a bunch of different stuff. I would contact TSA, and also contact TSA at the airport you departed from specifically as they may be able to help. I hope that someone somewhere can help you out, that sounds crazy weird to me. I hope this helps some.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
Hi, I went from MIA-LAX and then overseas. I picked up my cases to clear customs and then dropped them on for my next flight. Upon arrival, I brought my luggage home and unpacked. One suitcase wasn't like I packed it. Upon opening it, I noticed some strange green coated wire twisted into a knot and an opened luggage lock (not mine, mine is missing). Then a pen with some writing, business and address on it. Underneath them was a large empty purse that I had packed on the bottom of my suitcase to have some padding. I had some food packed in a freezer bag that was completely allowed to be brought in and that too was tampered with and the bag was torn pretty badly (it was a brand new bag when I put it in the case) and my food was tampered with too.
In addition to this, all the other items were pulled apart and a brand new sweater now has a snag in it (tags still on). Then digging further, I found some other odd things placed in my suitcase that weren't there in the first place. I feel very odd and violated about this.
Strangest of all, there is no tsa paper in there saying they went through for security reasons or whatever.
I have NO idea what to do. I really can't think of what may be stolen or missing from the bag. Not to mention how creepy the whole thing is!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Peace,
VMC
On the domestic portion of your itinerary, you departed from and arrived at the two airports which are probably the worst two for TSA theft, based on the public arrest records of clerks at both of those airports.

At the very best, you'll get blown off. At the worst, you'll receive a patronizing driveling email or letter from a TSA Spokeshole which will just make you angrier.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
At the very best, you'll get blown off. At the worst, you'll receive a patronizing driveling email or letter from a TSA Spokeshole which will just make you angrier.
This guy has it right:

Remember, having your stuff rummaged through, stolen or broken is not a right, it's a privilege!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Do you know if the bag was messed up overseas or in the US? If you checked it overseas, reclaimed and passed through customs, and rechecked it, do you know if it was already tampered with prior to arrival in the US?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gsoltso
All of the contact information for TSA is found on this page:

http://www.tsa.gov/contact/index.shtm

I will tell you, that this does sound weird, normally if there is theft you will simply notice that an item(s) is missing. This sounds unlike anything I have heard of before. I have heard of someone having the wrong lock on the bag, having something placed in the bag that is not theirs (like a shirt, a hairdrier, small items like that), but not a bunch of different stuff. I would contact TSA, and also contact TSA at the airport you departed from specifically as they may be able to help. I hope that someone somewhere can help you out, that sounds crazy weird to me. I hope this helps some.
I had a bunch of assorted stuff dumped in my bag once. I can't remember all of the items but among them were several broken locks. No TSA stick up note either.....
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:51 am

Is there any chance your bag could have come open and it's contents fall out. I was a former ramper and I have a few stories. Bag gets caught on a piece of metal on a conveyor belt and pulls it open spreading the contents all over the place. Bags have fallen off carts and come open. There is that possibility that occurred.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There's virtually no way to trace your bag through the system and say what happened. Based on my own experience, if you complain to TSA you will get an aggressively worded letter back indicating that this is all your fault. At the very least you'll see TSA, the airline(s), and possibly the security service in your destination country all point fingers at each other, leaving you nowhere.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TsaAbuseWatch

Neither does your congressman.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cheesewiz
Is there any chance your bag could have come open and it's contents fall out. I was a former ramper and I have a few stories. Bag gets caught on a piece of metal on a conveyor belt and pulls it open spreading the contents all over the place. Bags have fallen off carts and come open. There is that possibility that occurred.
?? So how did things from someone else's bag get into her bag?

TSA should be taking it seriously any time something is added to a piece of luggage.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chollie
Neither does your congressman.
Yeah, i've already complained to mine, but they're mostly terrified, gutless weasels who are actively working against their constituents' interests.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: various
Sooner or later, some innocent traveler is going to get contraband slipped inside by either TSA or (more likely) baggage handler on an international flight, then get nabbed by Customs in another country and be facing some serious or even lethal music. Only the US' TSA seems to demand unlocked luggage---which I ignore and lock the luggage anyway, and take my chances the lock won't get pried off.

To OP's question, I don't think there is any place to lodge a complaint where it will be taken seriously and where corrective actions could be taken for you or for future travelers. That's the sad state of affairs in the US right now...absolutely no accountability anywhere in this system.

My guess as to what happened: a thief in baggage handling in either MIA or LAX (probably MIA after you redropped after Customs...when it was sitting around for the domestic connection) had more than one suitcase open to rifle, including yours, then got some things mixed up, or had to toss things back in a hurry to avoid detection, and your bag got more than it started with. At least one other passenger out there is facing some missing items.

Last edited by jiejie; Jul 24, 2011 at 10:21 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
Sooner or later, some innocent traveler is going to get contraband slipped inside by either TSA or (more likely) baggage handler on an international flight, then get nabbed by Customs in another country and be facing some serious or even lethal music.
We've had at least one story of a checkpoint TSO pretending to find bags of cocaine in peoples' carry-ons as a joke, just to watch innocent people panic... not only is there zero accountability at TSA, there is an almost psychopathic lack of empathy for passengers and disregard for their rights. TSA is clearly at war with its own public. So what you describe is certainly plausible. One more reason not to check bags. You arrive in Turkey with a Ziploc bag of baking soda slipped into your luggage because some TSA maniac back home saw "Midnight Express" and thought it would be funny... that's some explaining I wouldn't want to have to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.