Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Moscow Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Status of Moscow Airports

Does anyone know the status of Moscow's airports? I have read reports regarding the main two, but have not found anything either way regarding VKO (Vnukovo International).

I am wondering whether there are any lanes without body scanners, whether there is any opt-out, and what type of body scanners are present. Also, does anyone know of any other viable ways to depart from Moscow?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
I asked a relative who flew about two weeks ago on a charter out of Vnokovo to Europe. She said that in her recollection there was, what she termed, the same equipment as found at any other airport she has been to recently in the US or Russia.

Never heard of opt-out in Russia, and I personally would not press the point, both because civil liberties are quite different in Russia (in my experience the squeeky wheel gets further inspections here) and I would not push the security people away from their assigned task (I know a person who was murdered at the DME bombing earlier this year).

If you want to avoid such security, I assume you could take a train. I haven't taken an international train from Russia in several years (well before the train explosions of the last few years) but perhaps someone who has could comment on any enhanced security screening.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MaecDavidMiller
If you want to avoid such security, I assume you could take a train. I haven't taken an international train from Russia in several years (well before the train explosions of the last few years) but perhaps someone who has could comment on any enhanced security screening.
Or take the train to LED. Flew out of there earlier this spring and no scanners (every gate has its own security). Everyone went through WTMD and got a quick pat-down (nothing like I've watched TSA do here).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the information. This is very helpful. I noticed that the airport's website seemed to indicate that its use of metal detectors. Do you think that this is out of date, or that this might be the type of standard equipment used?

"Dear air tavelers and Vnukovo Airport visitors, kindly bear in mind that due to the Airport's currently heightened security profile, you will be asked to undergo an additional security check upon entering any of the Airport's passenger terminals. This may result in occasional queuing, especially during the Airport's peak departure hours.

As part of the entrance security check, you will have to walk through a metal detector, unbutton or take off your outerwear such as coats, jackets, etc., and allow a light tactile/ portable metal scanner search of your person. You will also be asked to put your personal effects and baggage through an x-ray scanner. Such checks are mandatory for all incoming air travelers, meeters, senders, and Vnukovo Airport visitors, wishing to gain entry into the mainline passenger terminals. They also encompass every item of baggage and/or personal effects brought along.

The sufficient number of entrance checkpoints allows to carry out the checks with minimum hassle and queuing."
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
Metal detectors are installed at the entrances to the airport building. There is another security checkpoint that you have to pass to get to the gates. Do not know what they are using at that one.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Also be prepared for some pretty extensive pat-downs.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by JumboD
Or take the train to LED. Flew out of there earlier this spring and no scanners (every gate has its own security). Everyone went through WTMD and got a quick pat-down (nothing like I've watched TSA do here).
Take it one step further: A train to Helsinki. It is actually shorter than a trip from Moscow to LED.

Westbound trains transit through Belarus - not a desirable experience from what I heard. You need to get a separate transit visa, and that is just for starters.

I agree though that LED pat-down is nothing comapred to what you encounter anywhere else.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Take it one step further: A train to Helsinki. It is actually shorter than a trip from Moscow to LED.
Really? I know you are not a fan of Russia, but... really? Сапсан or Невский Экспресс can take you from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg in about 4 hours. Moscow to Helsinki - even assuming no stops and no border control - will still take much more than 4 hours just because trains go through... Saint-Petersburg If it was a practical joke, then ^
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:44 am

SVO has MMW machines in use at the main checkpoints in terminal D, E and F. Transit checkpoints are clear. At the transit checkpoint they gave everyone a quick patdown regardless if you set off the WTMD or not. Was pretty relaxed if you ask me. Nothing like the TSA. I am not sure if you can opt out there since I just transited through the airport.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:21 am
Suspended

In America, I don't go through body scanners because I feel it is a violation of my rights and frequent exposure a health risk. In Russia, I travel expecting to have no rights and expecting it to be more dangerous than traveling many other places.

If you go to LED or any MOW airport, it is likely that you will be scanned (MMW), and it is also likely that the person viewing the images will be right in front of you. It is also likely that you will be patted down. If it helps, it's further likely that the person patting you down will be a woman, regardless of your gender. There is also be no "barking" or disrespectful attitude anywhere outside of the US, including Russia, China, and the middle east. I've also never seen a BKSX in Europe (apparently Rapescan only paid off US politicians, as no country in their right mind would purchase an equal-price-and-function but more dangerous BKSX over an MMW).

If you'd prefer, the bus options people have given are quite accurate and good. Trains can often be slower than bus in eastern Europe, are sometimes less comfortable, and are always more expensive.

--Jon
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by König
Really? I know you are not a fan of Russia, but... really? Сапсан or Невский Экспресс can take you from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg in about 4 hours. Moscow to Helsinki - even assuming no stops and no border control - will still take much more than 4 hours just because trains go through... Saint-Petersburg If it was a practical joke, then ^
I was not aware of those two trains that took only 4 hours. They were not around the last time I was there in 2007. Back then the trip from Moscow to Saint Petersburg took about 7-8 hours.

The train from Saint Petersburg to Helsinki (which is what I meant in my post) took about 5 hours back then.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
I was not aware of those two trains that took only 4 hours. They were not around the last time I was there in 2007. Back then the trip from Moscow to Saint Petersburg took about 7-8 hours.

The train from Saint Petersburg to Helsinki (which is what I meant in my post) took about 5 hours back then.
Granted that I've never travelled to Helsinki by train, I am not able to find any trains that would take you there in less than 13 hours. I went through railroad schedule, and all I could see is 13 hours or more. On the other hand, MOW to LED can take 4, 8 or 14 hours according to how much you are willing to pay. By the way, how much time does it usually take to clear the border control? I really doubt you could travel to Helsinki in 5 hours even if you don't stop anywhere (and you will stop in Saint-Petersburg for sure).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by König
Granted that I've never travelled to Helsinki by train, I am not able to find any trains that would take you there in less than 13 hours. I went through railroad schedule, and all I could see is 13 hours or more. On the other hand, MOW to LED can take 4, 8 or 14 hours according to how much you are willing to pay. By the way, how much time does it usually take to clear the border control? I really doubt you could travel to Helsinki in 5 hours even if you don't stop anywhere (and you will stop in Saint-Petersburg for sure).
I am talking about 5 hours from St. Petersburg (not Moscow) to Helsinki. This is how long it took me in 2003. It was Repin from Helsinki and Sibelius on the way back.

I must have taken the "middle" option. It took 8 hours in both directions. One of them was the well known Red Arrow.

Border control is a non-issue. They walk through train, look at your passport, maybe ask a question or two. All this takes place while the train is in motion between the Russian and Finnish border stations.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
http://www.groundedtravel.com/routes...-allegro-train

http://www.expresstorussia.com/mosco...urg-train.html
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Affection
If you go to LED or any MOW airport, it is likely that you will be scanned (MMW), and it is also likely that the person viewing the images will be right in front of you. It is also likely that you will be patted down. If it helps, it's further likely that the person patting you down will be a woman, regardless of your gender.
Unless things have changed, this was not my experience at LED. It was WTMD-only and a cursory pat-down by same-gendered security personnel. This trip was late May departing on a BA flight. Would be hard for them to use scanners for everyone, since each gate has its own security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.