Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tsa id check at gate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Ron, when a flight is flagged like this, what are the TSA agents at the gate trying to verify? From the anecdotes above, they aren't verifying that the person boarding is the one whose name is on the boarding pass.
I wish I could answer that, but it is one of those "SSI" things I am not allowed to discuss. All I can say is that there are some pretty good reasons for the activities taking place. Much of this type of screening takes place without direct interaction with the passengers, but some do and it seems obvious to me that the OP's flight was one of those.

Most of the folks here are going to chose to believe what they wish to believe, so I’m sure that no matter what information I provide or “can” provide they will chose to take the worst possible stand about these screenings.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Most of the folks here are going to chose to believe what they wish to believe, so I’m sure that no matter what information I provide or “can” provide they will chose to take the worst possible stand about these screenings.
I've got to say, Ron, I really love your persecution complex. It really brightens my day!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
I've got to say, Ron, I really love your persecution complex. It really brightens my day!
Being one of the few "token" TSO's who willingly wander into this den of (insert word of choice here), it shouldn't surprise you or anyone who reads here often. I admit, I get the worst of it, and in most cases that is because I am open and honest about my disagreement with the general consensus here (some of it is because I am human and make the occasional error, like the PETN vs TATP thing the other day). I am an outspoken advocate for the TSA and what it does, that alone is enough to initiate a "dog pile" here.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to make your day a bit lighter. You are more than welcome to stop by my Facebook page for a more "frank" and "robust" conversation if you like.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnorwost2
Page 3:

http://www.aaae.org/_pdf/_govpdf/TSP...report-WEB.pdf

Also second item on the search results here makes for some interesting reading:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ight+screening
The briefer of the PowerPoint charts is a retired Army colonel JAG who now works for Francine -- enough said.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Its called "Risk Emphasised Flight Screening". The requirements come down from somewhere high in TSA and the screeners are provided with no information as to why a specific flight may be at greater risk than others. Its a part of the overall layered security and unpredictable screening.
Like EWR and flight to Mexico, south Florida and/or South America because TSO's at EWR were told to profile "Mexicans" and "other assorted Hispanics"
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:17 pm

I wish I could answer that, but it is one of those "SSI" things I am not allowed to discuss. All I can say is that there are some pretty good reasons for the activities taking place. Much of this type of screening takes place without direct interaction with the passengers, but some do and it seems obvious to me that the OP's flight was one of those.

They look for the Middle Eastern Looking Guy™
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
they were setting up to do this on my IAH-PHX flight the other day, they pushed their little cart down the terminal to the gate and set up shop. Interestingly enough they didnt even give any of us pax in F a second look, so im assuming they just checked the id's of the coach pax. Workfare at its finest...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by LeapingFrogs
And you know what's crazier? You actually don't need ID at all to board a plane I found out in March 2011. Ready for a little story?

So no, you don't even need ID to get on a plane. How about that?!
Yes, actually, it's been discussed here extensively over the years, but as you're new to FT and as scope'n'grope has dominated the discussions for the past six months, I can understand why you haven't seen it.

There's a useful thread here: TSA's airline passenger identification policies where FT TS&S celebrity Phil documents the issue in detail. Short version: TSA doesn't actually require ID documents to fly, but they sure try to make it sound like they do. Most people therefore have the impression, as you did, that ID documents are mandatory. And although legally you can fly without showing an ID document, some TSA people will make your life miserable for trying.

As his signature line indicates, Phil was arrested in ABQ when he attempted to fly without showing an ID document, was tried and acquitted. That story is here: Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

A belated welcome to FT, by the way.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

As his signature line indicates, Phil was arrested in ABQ when he attempted to fly without showing an ID document, was tried and acquitted. That story is here: Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

A belated welcome to FT, by the way.
Thank you! I do remember that story, it was actually a local story for me, I'd regrettably forgotten it until now. Really, it's a shame on me.

I honestly haven't flown since July of 2010. I came back to the States after some extended international travel, and haven't been to an airport since. I was previously a very heavy air traveler, mostly for business, but occasionally for pleasure too. When airports like Heathrow and others started deploying scanners, I purposfully avoided them. Now I can't avoid them, and can't fly. I won't. I've had momentary lapses of reason where I've looked at my air miles and started to book a flight to see a friend or go on vacation thinking maybe I'd take the security gamble, but I can't and I won't. I've cancelled four business trips since October. It's really demoralizing and it's tough. This is the longest I've gone without going somewhere for over 20 years.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The briefer of the PowerPoint charts is a retired Army colonel JAG who now works for Francine -- enough said.
Slide #9 of that PowerPoint states this:

Head of TSA may designate any employee a LEO to carry a firearm, make arrests, execute search warrants § 114

What's that about?

You are more than welcome to stop by my Facebook page for a more "frank" and "robust" conversation if you like.
You're on Facebook? Shoot me a link!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
They look for the Middle Eastern Looking Guy™
Add: ...who is disguised as a 95-year-old woman wearing a Depends undergarment.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:26 am

I wish I could answer that, but it is one of those "SSI" things I am not allowed to discuss. All I can say is that there are some pretty good reasons for the activities taking place.
Trying to ask this honestly, without sounding snarky, and without asking you to reveal SSI ...

Are you, as a TSO, told the reasons for these activities? Or are you simply told that there are good reasons for these activities?

I'm just trying to figure out if you, individually, are able to assess for yourself whether such added screening activities are warranted and/or effective, or if you (like the rest of us) are asked to accept the judgment of others in this area.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Trying to ask this honestly, without sounding snarky, and without asking you to reveal SSI ...

Are you, as a TSO, told the reasons for these activities? Or are you simply told that there are good reasons for these activities?

I'm just trying to figure out if you, individually, are able to assess for yourself whether such added screening activities are warranted and/or effective, or if you (like the rest of us) are asked to accept the judgment of others in this area.
In the past, when the program began, we were given a list of reasons why a flight might end up on the list of those needing the additional screening, but we are not privy to the reasons for any individual flight.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:50 pm

In the past, when the program began, we were given a list of reasons why a flight might end up on the list of those needing the additional screening, but we are not privy to the reasons for any individual flight.
Thanks for responding. Your answer is intriguing. Previously I thought flights were more or less randomly selected as a part of "Layers of SecurityTM" Now I understand that individual flights are selected, but that those who do the screening don't know the reason.

After racking my brain, I can't think of a reason why an individual flight, whose passengers were all screened from Secure Flight through the checkpoint, would need an individual and specific ID check of each and every passenger. But I do understand that you can't tell us.

I do know that if the gate ID checks found anyone important who should not fly, TSA would trumpet the fact from the rooftops. They haven't yet, which indicates to me that the indicators they used to select the flights have been false positives.

Maybe TSA needs a new motto: "False Positives to Believe In"
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by OldGoat
After racking my brain, I can't think of a reason why an individual flight, whose passengers were all screened from Secure Flight through the checkpoint, would need an individual and specific ID check of each and every passenger.
You're obviously not thinking like a DHS 'expert'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.