Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Border: Bring Cooked Meat/Fish Across

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US/Canadian Border: Bring Cooked Meat/Fish Across

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
because its a stupid policy. You're expecting logic from a DHS agency? A policy that read : Nexus members are not required to declare packaged food items such as chips, candy bars, baked or cooked food items (including meats and roasted seeds/nuts), and a personal quantity of fresh fruits/vegetables (less than 2 lbs). Raw meat, poultry, fish or more than 2 lbs of fruit/vegetables and fresh uncooked seeds must be declared.
Where is this policy?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Often1
No. It's simply a common sense application of the law under the theory that you will consume your sandwich shortly and not bring agricultural products into circulation. CBP administers USDA law and rules on this point and those generally prohibit the importation of food into the USA without permits.
Not from Canada

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, you can bring food - I do it all the time. The caveat is you must declare it according to the rules from each country.

Into Canada you must declare food as specified on the customs form - only those categories.

Into the US you must declare ALL food - regardless of what it is, how much, how big, etc.

In either case, you cannot bring in prohibited items - which generally include meat/fish/dairy/fruits/vegetables/seeds/soil, etc etc
1) If you use GE, the kiosk is far more clear about what needs to be declared for the US.

2) You can bring most fruits and vegetables from Canada to the US and vice versa - so long as they were grown in either the US or Canada.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I've learned there's a difference between

(a) declaring it, and
(b) having it confiscated.

The Canadian Customs Agent said declare everything (i.e., means don't use Nexus so you can avoid the secondary), although most things won't be taken away.

Looking forward to using GE the next time I enter the US to see what my options are.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:22 am

I'm Canadian and live ~30 mins from the US border. We often do grocery shopping in the US. Most items are allowed into Canada from the US, but there are limits (eg. 2 dozen eggs per person or 1 whole turkey per person). We don't buy produce, so I don't know those rules. Generally we stick to milk, eggs, ground beef, boneless/skinless chicken breasts and ice cream. These have the biggest savings for us, as well as no tax upon return to Canada. (The ice cream may be taxable, but we've never had to pay it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.