Wiki Posts
Search

Finally got my spouse to understand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Finally got my spouse to understand

My spouse does not have the same indignation I do with the TSA/DHS in violating our rights. My spouse continues to stand behind the concept of the government knows best how to combat air terrorism after 911.

I live in Seattle, so we had this little conversation yesterday.

ME: Imagine you are in the downtown bus tunnel waiting for a bus.

SPOUSE: OK

ME: A group of TSA agents enter the bus tunnel and selects you to step aside for a moment.

ME: The TSA tells you they need to check your purse, your shopping bag and you will need to have your person patted down to search you for contraband in a place of public transportation.

SPOUSE: I would tell them to pound sand.

ME: Why?

SPOUSE: They have no right to do that. I haven't done anything wrong.

ME: How come it's OK at the airport?

SPOUSE: (long pause) Oh!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: OnePass
Brilliant! ^
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
My version is far more complicated so I need to rethink my plan and resort to summarizing in the simplest of terms...thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If only this would work on more of the kettles that chose to submit at the airport...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
A nicely done illustration, yknot.

However, that argument wouldn't work on a lot of people. The conversation would continue something like this:

YOU: How come it's OK at the airport?

SOMEONE DENSER THAN YOUR SPOUSE: (long pause) Um, because it's a different situation.

YOU: How is it different?

SDTYS: Because people can't hijack a bus and fly it into a building and kill 3,000 people.

YOU: So that makes it okay to strip our rights away from us at the airport but not a bus tunnel?

SDTYS: Flying is not a right. If you don't like it, take the bus.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:58 pm
RVP

Originally Posted by yknot
My spouse does not have the same indignation I do with the TSA/DHS in violating our rights. My spouse continues to stand behind the concept of the government knows best how to combat air terrorism after 911.

I live in Seattle, so we had this little conversation yesterday.

ME: Imagine you are in the downtown bus tunnel waiting for a bus.

ME: A group of TSA agents enter the bus tunnel and selects you to step aside for a moment.

ME: The TSA tells you they need to check your purse, your shopping bag and you will need to have your person patted down to search you for contraband in a place of public transportation.

SPOUSE: I would tell them to pound sand.

ME: Why?

SPOUSE: They have no right to do that. I haven't done anything wrong.

ME: How come it's OK at the airport?

SPOUSE: (long pause) Oh!
Great job. ^ This will now be used on RVP's "anything for security" friends and family.

Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by WillCAD
ASDTYS: Because people can't hijack a bus and fly it into a building and kill 3,000 people.
You: Can't hijack a bus? Didn't you see that horrible Sandra Bullock movie "Speed"?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
You: Can't hijack a bus? Didn't you see that horrible Sandra Bullock movie "Speed"?
You: You can't hijack a plane and crash it in a building either. Cockpit doors have been reinforced and passengers and crew are no longer instructed to cooperate with hijackers but to do whatever it takes to apprehend them.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
This whole bus/airport comparison reminds me of the monologue from near the end of the movie A Time To Kill.
Can you see her? I want you to picture that little girl...

Now imagine she's white.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:59 am

You also have to remember something that's frequently left out of the "security vs. freedom" debate: the TSA's shenanigans _are not security_. Testers _are still getting through_ with guns and explosives.

Originally Posted by sheneh
You: You can't hijack a plane and crash it in a building either. Cockpit doors have been reinforced and passengers and crew are no longer instructed to cooperate with hijackers but to do whatever it takes to apprehend them.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My SO didn't share my point of view until she witnessed first hand how TSA is trampling on our rights. She triggered a WTMD, and was outraged at the groping she got.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by WillCAD
A nicely done illustration, yknot.

However, that argument wouldn't work on a lot of people. The conversation would continue something like this:

YOU: How come it's OK at the airport?

SOMEONE DENSER THAN YOUR SPOUSE: (long pause) Um, because it's a different situation.

YOU: How is it different?

SDTYS: Because people can't hijack a bus and fly it into a building and kill 3,000 people.

YOU: So that makes it okay to strip our rights away from us at the airport but not a bus tunnel?

SDTYS: Flying is not a right. If you don't like it, take the bus.

So what would someone say when you explain to them that the TSA has been showing up at bus/train stations, sporting events, etc?

Cue Jackie Gleason doing Ralph Cramden:

Hah-men-ahh-hah-men-ahh-hah-men-ahh...
Old May 1, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
My SO didn't share my point of view until she witnessed first hand how TSA is trampling on our rights. She triggered a WTMD, and was outraged at the groping she got.
She probably didn't even trigger it. I have flown 60,80,100 times in the past 5-6 years and I have never once left an item in my pockets that would trigger a WTMD. I don't wear a belt or a watch, and I have no implants or prosthetics.

Occasionally, a WTMD goes off to force a random check. However, I am certain that this "randomness" has increased substantially lately. And since you've given them "a reason" they grope away.

At least the guys in the UK are courteous about it and tell me it was random. These TSO goons give me the "what did you forget, you idiot?" look.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:36 am

Digging up an old thread here, I have found that TSA apologists are employing the same MO used by creationists and War-on-Drugs supporters: Explain and Suppress.

"The TSA and full-body scanners are here to stay! They're coming to all airports in the USA and the world!"

...followed by a refusal to either listen to or answer a rebuttal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.