Community
Wiki Posts
Search

denied entry into Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
I've got an interesting one.

A US Citizen hit's a piece of property while driving a motor vehicle and does not report the damage. That person is reported to police and charged with leaving the scene of an accident. They are convicted of a misdemeanor and fined $250 plus restitution to the victim. In addition the NCIC record shows the conviction and that it is a Misdemeanor.

It has been more the 5 years since the conviction, but less than 10 years.

Are they inadmissible to Canada?

Canadian Law:

Failure to stop at scene of accident
252. (1) Every person commits an offence
who has the care, charge or control of a vehicle,
vessel or aircraft that is involved in an accident
with
(a) another person,
(b) a vehicle, vessel or aircraft, or
(c) in the case of a vehicle, cattle in the
charge of another person,
and with intent to escape civil or criminal liability
fails to stop the vehicle, vessel or, if possible,
the aircraft, give his or her name and address
and, where any person has been injured or
appears to require assistance, offer assistance.

Punishment
(1.1) Every person who commits an offence
under subsection (1) in a case not referred to in
subsection (1.2) or (1.3) is guilty of an indictable
offence and liable to imprisonment for
a term not exceeding five years or is guilty of
an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Is that an example of a hybrid offense?

Must the officer assume by law that the individual was found guilty of an indictable offense, even considering the information available to him or her in the NCIC record?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Dan6681
Are they inadmissible to Canada?
I don't see why. It appears that Canadian law and the law in most US states is similar here: damage to property only makes it a lesser offense. So there's no issue. The issue is only in cases (like DUI) where one country views a crime as more severe than another.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: SSSSS
Eye of the Beholder

How soon before enough laws are passed on both sides of the border to make anyone a criminal for the purposes of "border control" and "travel control?"

I think that's where we are headed.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
How did Charlie Sheen just get into Canada?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Foxhat
How did Charlie Sheen just get into Canada?
Lol maybe he got an admissibility waiver.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by alexb133
Lol maybe he got an admissibility waiver.
Wellll, that should show they're not too hard to get.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Foxhat
Wellll, that should show they're not too hard to get.
I suspect it shows that there are two sets of laws in Canada: one for the rich, and one for the rest.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While not all of this thread relates to safety & security, there is enough of that to suggest a comprehensive coverage:
1. As to the OP's friend's insurance coverage: read the insurance contract (something the friend should have done before purchasing). Highly unlikely it's covered becs this was the friend's error not some unforseen circumstance.
2. As to hotel refund: never hurts to ask. Most likely result, if anything, is a credit which friend can use if he can clear up his legal situation. Anything the hotel does is soley a customer acommodation.
3. As to the broader issue:
A. It is solely up to Canada to determine who enters. Don't think that Canadians and others who try to enter the USA are treated better or differently.
B. NCIC is an imperfect tool. It does not disclose whether the underlying offense was a felony or misdemeanor (many States do not even use those terms any longer) and it is wholly dependent on courts and other state officials entering dispositions.
C. Don't presume that foreign officials, particularly those at a port of entry have any familiarity with US law or speak English (not the case in Canada).
D. If you have a conviction or were even arrested, but not convicted, you should presume that there will always be issues with foreign travel. These will increase as the US shares more data with foreign law enforcement. If you have a conviction, allow for the cost, time and effort associated with obtaining the proper documentation which would allow you entry. Use a lawyer who understands the particulars. This is not something to try on your own unless you have a great deal of experience. If you were arrested but not convicted, make sure that you have attested copies of all of the paperwork in your physical possession when travelling and, if you are travelling to or through a non-English-speaking country, have certified translations of those documents as well.
E. Don't let time pass. Finding old records gets harder and harder over time. It can take months, personal visits and great expense to track things down which can be obtained for a few dollars today.

Lastly, don't rely on anecdotal stories from well-meaning friends. Just because your neighbor's chest pain turned out to be indigestion doesn't mean that yours will.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
I suspect it shows that there are two sets of laws in Canada: one for the rich, and one for the rest.
Issuance of a temporary resident permit has to be justified in the circumstances. A number of factors are weighed to determine whether there are compelling reasons to issue a TRP. In the case of Charlie Sheen I'm guessing a TRP was issued because the economic benefit to Canada was seen as sufficient to overcome the risk to Canadian society.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Issuance of a temporary resident permit has to be justified in the circumstances. A number of factors are weighed to determine whether there are compelling reasons to issue a TRP. In the case of Charlie Sheen I'm guessing a TRP was issued because the economic benefit to Canada was seen as sufficient to overcome the risk to Canadian society.
Semantically equivalent to what I wrote.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:21 am

Many countries such as Canada, Austrailia, and the UK and others will not allow anyone in who has a criminal conviction of any kind. Nothing you can do about it.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by volunteerchild
Many countries such as Canada, Austrailia, and the UK and others will not allow anyone in who has a criminal conviction of any kind. Nothing you can do about it.
That's strange. I have traveled to both Canada and the UK with felonies on my record. I even lived in Canada for a while. I was turned away from entering Canada once, but it wasn't due to having felonies on my record. It was because they didn't believe that I was planning to leave once I entered. They did mention the criminal record issue and state that that alone would be enough to turn me away though. But they claimed that that wasn't their reason for turning me away.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Semantically equivalent to what I wrote.
Not really. If he was just coming to visit a friend he probably would not have been allowed in. His recent trip had economic benefits for Canada. The fact that he is wealthy has nothing to do with it.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Not really. If he was just coming to visit a friend he probably would not have been allowed in. His recent trip had economic benefits for Canada. The fact that he is wealthy has nothing to do with it.
If he weren't relatively wealthy to the extent he is, the trip's "economic benefits for Canada" wouldn't have amounted to whatever they did.

The wealthy and/or otherwise well connected who are perceived to be delivering business get treated differently.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by volunteerchild
While many countries do have laws/regulations/policies in place that allow denial of entry to non-citizens who have a criminal conviction -- of who knows what kind varies -- with the above-mentioned countries (and many more) that is certainly not a certain outcome, at least not for a variety of people.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.