Search

FBI Agent Leaves Firearm in ELP bathroom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Someones career has taken a bad turn.
Maybe not. Alvin Crabtree "forgot" he brought a loaded gun to work and he's still there.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It is interesting that CNN has changed the headline from FBI to Federal Agent, so it may not have been an FBI agent (the linked story said Federal Agent, only the headline ever said FBI).
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
TSA Lies! (again)

deleted - wrong thread - i often wondered how people posted to the wrong thread and now i know

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Apr 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm Reason: deleted - wrong thread
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Maybe not. Alvin Crabtree "forgot" he brought a loaded gun to work and he's still there.
Yeah, but FBI and other Federal Agents are held to a higher standard. Honestly, the guy/gal will probably wind up with a reprimand or a couple days on the beach. I don't understand how people wind up leaving their firearms laying around. I've carried for 20+ years and I always know where mine is.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Yes, and some bloody do-gooder busy body decided they wanted to be a hero and handed it in. I hope he got his ticker tape parade and keys to the city of El Paso for this. Next time, Mr. Bloody do-gooder, when you find a gun, shoot yourself with it.
Originally Posted by yknot
you're a piece of work
Ok, I'll bite, since you seem to be playing dumb about yknot's response.

You seem to advocate that someone shoots themselves when they discover a firearm where it's not supposed to be...

... but yet you call others jack-booted thugs? Do you really think that you can have it both ways?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ls17031
Ok, I'll bite, since you seem to be playing dumb about yknot's response.

You seem to advocate that someone shoots themselves when they discover a firearm where it's not supposed to be...

... but yet you call others jack-booted thugs? Do you really think that you can have it both ways?
I don't know specifically what the earlier objection (by the other poster) to my post was. However, to address your response (and I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say either), I think others have provided a component of the answer (free gun, etc). But there's more to it than that. I don't see the choice/consequence ratio of reporting a lost gun in the same way you do, likely as a result of the prevailing climate surrounding automatic suspicion of anyone who is not white in the US.

If I found a gun in an airport or under my seat on a plane, or even placed in my bag, I would not hand it in. If it were in a bathroom, I would leave it alone - some chump would show up sooner or later and report it anyway. If it were in the seatpocket in front of me, I would leave it there. If someone were to show up mid-flight and try to use it I would kick their arse. Otherwise, let the cleaning crew find it later - it doesn't have my finger prints on it anyway. Now, if I opened my bag and found that someone (TSO probably) had placed it there, I would take it out using a tissue, put it on the floor and leave. I don't need to sit in a room being interrogated and likely smacked up by jackbooted thugs while I'm trying to get somewhere. I can, however deal with the pigs when I am back home, with my lawyer able to be present in order to protect me from a couple of community college, or US state university educated fbi agents who are trying desperately to pin some sort of evil intent on me.

So, my point was that the individual that discovered the gun should think about the bad things that might happen to them instead of focusing on being a good little sycophant / uncle tom / what have you. That's all.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
So, my point was that the individual that discovered the gun should think about the bad things that might happen to them instead of focusing on being a good little sycophant / uncle tom / what have you. That's all.
I would just call 911 from my cell, keep anyone else from touching it, and wait for an LEO to show up. I wouldn't know if a round had been chambered, safety off, etc. I would feel terrible if a curious kid had gotten a hold of it with unfortunate results, and I had decided to let some other "chump" take action.

What bad things would happen to me?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I would just call 911 from my cell, keep anyone else from touching it, and wait for an LEO to show up. I wouldn't know if a round had been chambered, safety off, etc. I would feel terrible if a curious kid had gotten a hold of it with unfortunate results, and I had decided to let some other "chump" take action.
Valid point re/ safety and I wouldn't know where to begin trying to determine any of the things you describe. I do not share the same trust you seem to have in law enforcement and I would be willing to take the risk that within a few minutes of the hypothetical situation occurring, someone or the other would in fact do the right thing - but it's not going to be me, and I will be teaching my children (who are beginning to figure out the way things work in this country anyway) NOT to trust any american in a uniform, even if there are video cameras all over the place.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What bad things would happen to me?
I don't know. What colour is your skin? What is your religious preference? What is your heritage? What countries do you visit? These things shouldn't matter but to those who investigate events similar to that we are discussing, these are factors that are taken into account.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:22 pm

If I found a gun in an airport or under my seat on a plane, or even placed in my bag, I would not hand it in. If it were in a bathroom, I would leave it alone - some chump would show up sooner or later and report it anyway.
I'm not with you on this one. You have to do the right thing sometimes even though you get some s**t (stuff) for it. And getting that weapon properly in possession is the right thing to do. Any kid could get ahold of it and hurt themselves or someone else, or some off-balanced person could do some damage with it. It's not a question of being a state stooge.

I cannot fathom an LEO leaving his protection like that. I'd feel naked....
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:23 pm

What to do anyway?

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
I'm not with you on this one. You have to do the right thing sometimes even though you get some s**t (stuff) for it. And getting that weapon properly in possession is the right thing to do. Any kid could get ahold of it and hurt themselves or someone else, or some off-balanced person could do some damage with it. It's not a question of being a state stooge.

I cannot fathom an LEO leaving his protection like that. I'd feel naked....
If you leave it there, a kid could pick it up, thinking it's a toy. If you pick it up yourself to turn it, at minimum you're gonna be questioned extensively. Maybe call 911 from the can? Only solution I can see.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Does Pissy use the ladies room?
Well, he DID grow up in the Bureau during the latter part of the J Edgar Hoover days...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
Maybe call 911 from the can? Only solution I can see.
That's probably the best idea. But anything beats PhlyingRPh walking down the concourse toward a LEO with gun in hand holding it at arms length, shrugging and having to act overly surprised at the discovery.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
It is interesting that CNN has changed the headline from FBI to Federal Agent, so it may not have been an FBI agent (the linked story said Federal Agent, only the headline ever said FBI).
OK, at an airport, "Federal Agent" = FAM, unless it was an Alvin Crabtree copycat.

If I found a gun at an airport, I would let someone know about it. The risk is that you become the suspect, especially if you are of a non-Caucasian race. Sorry, it's reality. One part of me (even as a Caucasian male) would want to report it anonymously. But, another part of me would want to stay with the weapon to make sure that somebody else didn't pick it up and accidentally discharge (clinical term for "shoot") it. If I could legally withhold my identity from the cops, I would. For sure, I wouldn't answer any questions not directly related to the gun in the stall and the circumstances under which I found it. Also, I would not have touched it, so my fingerprints would not be on it.

It's bizarre -- These days in the USA, one has to really think twice about doing the right thing.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:25 am
Suspended

I don't know specifically what the earlier objection (by the other poster) to my post was. However, to address your response (and I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say either), I think others have provided a component of the answer (free gun, etc). But there's more to it than that. I don't see the choice/consequence ratio of reporting a lost gun in the same way you do, likely as a result of the prevailing climate surrounding automatic suspicion of anyone who is not white in the US.

If I found a gun in an airport or under my seat on a plane, or even placed in my bag, I would not hand it in. If it were in a bathroom, I would leave it alone - some chump would show up sooner or later and report it anyway. If it were in the seatpocket in front of me, I would leave it there. If someone were to show up mid-flight and try to use it I would kick their arse. Otherwise, let the cleaning crew find it later - it doesn't have my finger prints on it anyway. Now, if I opened my bag and found that someone (TSO probably) had placed it there, I would take it out using a tissue, put it on the floor and leave. I don't need to sit in a room being interrogated and likely smacked up by jackbooted thugs while I'm trying to get somewhere. I can, however deal with the pigs when I am back home, with my lawyer able to be present in order to protect me from a couple of community college, or US state university educated fbi agents who are trying desperately to pin some sort of evil intent on me.

This poster, unfortunately, has a point. We are not very far removed from times and places (and I am specifically thinking of Prince George's County, Maryland) where the radio call "N1gger's got a gun!" would result in every cop in the county making sure the poor sap ended up face-down in the salt marsh never to be found.

9-11 only made things worse.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:36 am

Federal Air Marshal Mark V. Murphy

[Federal Air Marshal Mark V.] Murphy left his loaded service weapon, a .357-caliber semiautomatic pistol, in the airplane lavatory [mid-flight]. The boy found the gun and handed it to the flight attendant.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/26219069.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.