Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Common Sense, Nonsense, and Stripes: RSW & DUS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I travelled through two airports that I don't often traverse, and had some observations...

1) RSW (Fort Meyers, FL)

This is the first US airport that I've travelled out of in almost a year that does not have any body scanners. For my commuter flights, the extra 5 hours total round trip driving, and a couple hundred dollars for increased fares and rental car or parking, that this adds isn't particuarly acceptable, but for my last-minute int'l flight, it was great, and a pleasure not to have to worry about scanners (I was a bit worried I'd be SSSS, but it happened not to be).

The most noticable thing about the TSA at RSW was... stripes. Everywhere. I mean there were about a dozen TSA agents, and maybe 3 had only a single stripe. I counted 1 TDC with 1 stripe, 1 LTSO (2 stripes) acting as a TDC, 2 BDOs (2 stripes), 2 STSOs, a BAO (Bomb Appraisal Officer) wearing a polo shirt that didn't show stripes, and several more I couldn't determine. Much to my surprise, the BAO was actually moving bins from one side to the other! I wanted to ask him if he got in trouble or something (due to his entry-level task), but either way, I was pleased to see resources that otherwise would sit around "waiting for a potential bomb" actually doing something, so +1 to the TSA for that (I think that raises their score to -78,231).

2) DUS (Dusseldorf, Germany)

No body scanners, and "in an abundance of common sense," HHMDs! Whenever someone alarmed a WTMD, the pat-down was largely given with an HHMD. Imagine the brilliance -- you can still "feel" things by dragging it along someone's body, you're not nearly as intrusive as using your hands, and the thing even lets you know if there's metal! If it went off, they used their hands to touch the area (did not see genitals/breasts touched) and moved on ASAP.

My bag got pulled aside for liquids, and before reaching into my belongings, the security officer asked, "May I?" Can you imagine that coming out of a TSA TSO's mouth? Even if I wasn't exactly allowed to say "no" (I don't know if I was or not -- assuming I wouldn't be able to fly), the fact that she asked and then waited for me to say it was ok was very impressive to me. It's something simple the TSA could do to make people feel better.

The above for DUS was the common sense part, though I must balance that with a little bit of nonsense. The security officer pulled out three "liquids" from my bag -- cologne, mouth wash, and a hair styling product -- and told me that without a plastic bag, I could only take one of them through. Total volume of the 3 was about 250 mL, so it was disappointing that they wanted to go through the nonsense of the bag. Plus, the hair product wasn't a liquid, which I proved by opening the container and turning it upside down, which I thought was impressive, but the security officer politely informed me that it was still a liquid. Sad that although very nice, states of matter still illuded their repertoire of knowledge, I tossed the mouth wash and hair product.

Over all, very pleased with both airports, and my trip reminded me of the days of months and years past when airport security was more sane.

--Jon
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Affection
a BAO (Bomb Appraisal Officer) wearing a polo shirt that didn't show stripes [...] Much to my surprise, the BAO was actually moving bins from one side to the other!
The BAO uniform shirt doesn't have stripes on it, that's true. Our's (his name is Kevin) helps a lot at the checkpoint when he's not engaged in other business, too.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:18 pm

2) DUS (Dusseldorf, Germany)

No body scanners, and "in an abundance of common sense," HHMDs! Whenever someone alarmed a WTMD, the pat-down was largely given with an HHMD. Imagine the brilliance -- you can still "feel" things by dragging it along someone's body, you're not nearly as intrusive as using your hands, and the thing even lets you know if there's metal! If it went off, they used their hands to touch the area (did not see genitals/breasts touched) and moved on ASAP.

My bag got pulled aside for liquids, and before reaching into my belongings, the security officer asked, "May I?" Can you imagine that coming out of a TSA TSO's mouth? Even if I wasn't exactly allowed to say "no" (I don't know if I was or not -- assuming I wouldn't be able to fly), the fact that she asked and then waited for me to say it was ok was very impressive to me. It's something simple the TSA could do to make people feel better.The above for DUS was the common sense part, though I must balance that with a little bit of nonsense. The security officer pulled out three "liquids" from my bag -- cologne, mouth wash, and a hair styling product -- and told me that without a plastic bag, I could only take one of them through. Total volume of the 3 was about 250 mL, so it was disappointing that they wanted to go through the nonsense of the bag. Plus, the hair product wasn't a liquid, which I proved by opening the container and turning it upside down, which I thought was impressive, but the security officer politely informed me that it was still a liquid. Sad that although very nice, states of matter still illuded their repertoire of knowledge, I tossed the mouth wash and hair product.

Over all, very pleased with both airports, and my trip reminded me of the days of months and years past when airport security was more sane.

--Jon
I have many times reported here the number of 'please', 'thank you', and 'may I?' at non-US locations.

Re the hair products - were they a powder? If not a liquid or a gel or a foam then I don't know what else they would be?

In Germany 'the rules are the rules' still so if you had them in your litre bag it should not have been an issue. They are sensible enough usually to check items too large or outside a bag and allow them through once swabbed, but I will admit that I haven't seen anyone allowed to take three items through. At TXL late last year the screener very kindly sent someone back to check his liquids as he was unaware of the rules.

DUS is a great airport, and I far prefer the screening in Germany to TSA screening. As you noted, a small amount of courtesy and respect goes a long way.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
--Jon
Yeah, not a fan. I don't like the way some of the operators use the end of the thing to poke your stomach with - I'm not that bakery product dough character, I'm a bloody passenger!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It was pomade or "hair wax." Any chemistry student would call it a solid, as it does not readily change shape based on its container. One could argue it is a gel (which is not a state of matter, but I digress) based on it being malleable, though the fact that it does not move a visually discernable amount even when turned upside down is evidence against that. It is a non-crystalline solid.

Anyway, I forgive her for sleeping through chemistry, but the bag thing is just silly. My 3 sub-100 mL liquids are no safer inside a bag than out. Even the TSA has dropped that rule, and indeed let the liquids pass at RSW.

Originally Posted by exbayern
Re the hair products - were they a powder? If not a liquid or a gel or a foam then I don't know what else they would be?
--Jon
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:58 pm

The capacity of liquid containers (jars, tubes, cans, etc.) must not exceed 100ml. All containers must be carried in a transparent, re-sealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more that 1 litre.

The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, mixtures of liquids and solids as well as the contents of pressurised containers, for example toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrup, perfume, shaving foam, aerosols, and other articles with a similar consistency.
http://www.duesseldorf-international...d_handluggage/

Even the TSA website still states that articles are required to be in a plastic quart sized bag. While we have had many reports here that people no longer need to remove their bag in the US, and even one TSO who claimed that one can use a gallon size bag in the US, that doesn't mean that the rules have officially changed.

EU regulations still state very clearly that a bag must be used. Often they will allow items through, but again permitting three is above and beyond what I have experienced.

You may find 'the bag thing' 'silly' but the fact remains that the variables of the TSA checkpoints and the whims of individual TSOs do not override rules in other countries. I personally would rather have consistency and rules enforced on a consistent basis as at least I know how to prepare and what to expect.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
My bag got pulled aside for liquids, and before reaching into my belongings, the security officer asked, "May I?" Can you imagine that coming out of a TSA TSO's mouth? Even if I wasn't exactly allowed to say "no" (I don't know if I was or not -- assuming I wouldn't be able to fly), the fact that she asked and then waited for me to say it was ok was very impressive to me. It's something simple the TSA could do to make people feel better.
Unfortunately words like "please", "thank you" and "may I" are excluded from the TSA lexicon. I think it is largely because the idea behind those words (i.e. simple courtesy) is largely foreign to the TSA mindset.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The security officer pulled out three "liquids" from my bag -- cologne, mouth wash, and a hair styling product -- and told me that without a plastic bag, I could only take one of them through. Total volume of the 3 was about 250 mL, so it was disappointing that they wanted to go through the nonsense of the bag.
Would they have let you go back to the vending machine immediately before the checkpoint, buy a bag, and take them through?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
Unfortunately words like "please", "thank you" and "may I" are excluded from the TSA lexicon. I think it is largely because the idea behind those words (i.e. simple courtesy) is largely foreign to the TSA mindset.
Also unheard of at CBP. Both are under part of the Department of Homeland Security, which explains a lot. It starts right at the top.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:58 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Regarding states of matter

A British friend of mine told me he had some (normal everyday votive) candles confiscated by security in Britain (can't recall what airport) because security there said they were a liquid. When questioned, the security person replied "because they could melt." Huh? My reply would have been "Everything melts when enough heat is appllied, are you going to confiscate everything I have?" I'm sure that would have thrown them for a loop.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
A British friend of mine told me he had some (normal everyday votive) candles confiscated by security in Britain (can't recall what airport) because security there said they were a liquid. When questioned, the security person replied "because they could melt." Huh? My reply would have been "Everything melts when enough heat is appllied, are you going to confiscate everything I have?" I'm sure that would have thrown them for a loop.
Yes, science is not our strong point in comprehensive schools in the UK. The main skills one learns in these schools is nose picking, stabbing one another and drinking heavily.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:46 am

I often carry travel candles, which are usually in a squat tin. Every so often I take the jarred ones instead and they do get a second look almost every single time because apparently the brand I use looks like a jar of jelly (has a metal lid) But I have never been told 'no'.

I do also travel with L'Occitane Shea Butter in a tin, and thankfully it comes in a mini size. I am concerned that someone may argue that it is a 'paste', or that on a warm day it may become soft enough to be considered a 'gel'. So even though it is in a solid state, in this case I try to be safe just in case. http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/mini-pure-shea-butter.htm

And EVERY SINGLE TIME I am in the UK they stop my bag and pull out and inspect and swab my purchased in the US antiperspirant which is not in my litre bag. (I've only recently seen that type sold at a few shops in Germany) But they also let it go through every single time. The UK isn't the only country which gives it a second look either, but it always gets through.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, they mentioned that I was free to leave the checkpoint to buy one, and there would be no $11,000 fine for leaving the checkpoint, unlike in another country I've "been in" recently.

...but I still maintain that buying that bag wouldn't make my liquids any safer.

Originally Posted by stifle
Would they have let you go back to the vending machine immediately before the checkpoint, buy a bag, and take them through?
--Jon
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, they mentioned that I was free to leave the checkpoint to buy one, and there would be no $11,000 fine for leaving the checkpoint, unlike in another country I've "been in" recently.

...but I still maintain that buying that bag wouldn't make my liquids any safer.

--Jon
I agree. I just realised I saw the exact same thing happen in ORK yesterday evening, which sort of defeats another post I recently made congratulating ORK on its common sense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.