Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and NCIC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
Now, back to the RS topic. RS is what a reasonable "officer" believes to be suspicious. Notice I say a reasonable "officer, not a reasonable "person". What an officer deems to be suspicious is based on each officers training and experience. So, RS can vary from situation to situation and officer to officer.
I would be remiss not to mention one additional detail about street encounters based on reasonable suspicion (see Terry, Hiibel): An LEO need not articulate to a citizen her reasonable suspicion for detention, a simple patdown or a compelled ID-- that is for later. A simple example would be if you are innocently walking down the street engaging in no criminal activity whatsover and an officer appears, instructs you to put your hands on your head at gunpoint and searches you. There is no reason whatsoever for this-- except that you match the description of the suspect in an armed robbery that occourred down the street 5 minutes ago! The officer need not justify herself to you though she should explain her conduct once she is assured of her safety; to do otherwise would be unprofessional.

Generally, the best course of action is to obey the officer's physical instructions so as not to get shot and then, as soon as the situation allows, determine if you are free to go. (Hint: If you are in a 'stop and identify' jurisdiction and an officer conveys to you that you are not free to go, she already believes she has reasonable suspicion to detain you and you should identify yourself without delay if asked. The other option, depending on how much of a jerk the officer is, is being searched for an ID or being charged with violating a 'stop and identify' statute).

Originally Posted by Good Guy
I know you want a definitive answer to your question, but, like I said up thread, there is no black and white answer.
(emphasis added)

Actually, in many jurisdictions, the answer is still quite black and white.

Last edited by Ari; Apr 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by RogerRabbit
Hello,

I am wondering if anybody knows for certain/has links to articles about TSA and if it has powers to search NCIC?
TSA in general does not have access to the NCIC system except through direct LEO intervention. There “may” be some office far up the food chain that has access, but the TSO’s at the airport do not.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
And there are those that clear folks under SecureFright.
SecureFlight is an automated system and again the TSO’s at the airport do not have access to it.

All these fun legal arguments and no PTravel? What’s up with that?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
What information do you think is contained in NCIC or any CJIS for that matter that you are so concerned about? If you don't have any warrants, aren't on probation, don't have any restraining orders against you, and don't share a very common name and common DOB,
My concern is false positives, just like the no-fly-list. Once they start dragnet searches without cause to do so, you have more false positives. Just like the no-fly list. I have a common first/last name, not John Smith common, but common enough that there are three people at my company with the same first/last name. I have no idea if my DOB is "common," but I'm of an age that a lot of people are.

Some cop runs a my name through NCIC, bad luck has it that my name matches and DOB is similar to a match, worse luck has it that the actual perp is white and my approx height/build, and I get thrown on the ground, glasses broken, handcuffed, banged up, tossed in jail, and quite frankly traumatized and terrified for 12-24 hours while it gets sorted out. I would not do well in jail, period. And when it's finally fixed, I probably don't even get an apology let alone compensation.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm Reason: getting too far afield
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
A simple example would be if you are innocently walking down the street engaging in no criminal activity whatsover and an officer appears, instructs you to put your hands on your head at gunpoint and searches you. There is no reason whatsoever for this-- except that you match the description of the suspect in an armed robbery that occurred down the street 5 minutes ago! The officer need not justify himself to you though she should explain her conduct once she is assured of her safety; to do otherwise would be unprofessional.
When I was on patrol in Texas, we had a call come out about an armed robbery. Lo and behold, the vehicle in front of me matched the description down to the occupants. I initiated a felony traffic stop, had everyone out of the car at gunpoint, when the call came out that another unit had the actual robbers. I did apologize and explained to the occupants what had happened. And, no, I did not run them through NCIC. So it does happen.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I am quite certain that the TSA cannot search the NCIC. In one of my many unpleasant encounters with the TSA in which I was threatened with arrest, the TSA called in LEOs to assist. The LEOs questioned me and demanded identification. I would not give them any ID, but verbally provided my name, DOB and home address. They radioed this in to NCIC, and then announced that my information "didn't match". I told them fine, then fix it -- delete all the information on me in the NCIC: I never gave permission for this data to be stored there in the first place. But in any event, I am not responsible for the accuracy of data in a database I do not control.

At no point was any of this shared with TSA, so I do not believe they have any access to it.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by studentff
My concern is false positives, just like the no-fly-list. Once they start dragnet searches without cause to do so, you have more false positives. Just like the no-fly list. I have a common first/last name, not John Smith common, but common enough that there are three people at my company with the same first/last name. I have no idea if my DOB is "common," but I'm of an age that a lot of people are.

Some cop runs a my name through NCIC, bad luck has it that my name matches and DOB is similar to a match, worse luck has it that the actual perp is white and my approx height/build, and I get thrown on the ground, glasses broken, handcuffed, banged up, tossed in jail, and quite frankly traumatized and terrified for 12-24 hours while it gets sorted out. I would not do well in jail, period. And when it's finally fixed, I probably don't even get an apology let alone compensation.
And as mentioned before, that's why if you were run through NCIC and the officer had several hits or possibles to wade through, he or she would use information like the last four of your SSN, previous addresses, scars, marks, tattoos, etc. False positive arrests from NCIC or other CJIS hits are very very rare.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm Reason: getting too far afield
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
I'll second Ari's well worded and reasoned answers.

I actually thought that we were answering Boggie Dog's specific question about RS needed for an NCIC check but (s)he wasn't liking the answer.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
We've deleted a few comments for running too far afield from the OP and would appreciate everyone refocusing on the original concern. Thanks.

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by polonius
I am quite certain that the TSA cannot search the NCIC.
Not at the Airport level....but I suspect at TSA HQ where they are doing No Fly/Secure Fly/whatever other lists they have....they've got access.....

One has to go through the FBI to get access since they run the system......I am sure TSA has been able to articulate the need for it at the HQ level....
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Not at the Airport level....but I suspect at TSA HQ where they are doing No Fly/Secure Fly/whatever other lists they have....they've got access.....

One has to go through the FBI to get access since they run the system......I am sure TSA has been able to articulate the need for it at the HQ level....
I don't know about the higher levels but, because the TSA has their own LE (FAMs among others), and because the TSA has quick access to JTTF agents (see George v. Reihl et. al.), the issue doesn't have to go all the way up to HQ or the higher levels-- an NCIC check can be done at a much lower level.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
False positive arrests from NCIC or other CJIS hits are very very rare.
I hypothesize that one of the key reasons such false positive arrests are so rare is that LEOs generally don't set up arbitrary checkpoints on public street corners, at stadiums, or at airports and run 100% of passers-by through NCIC or CJIS.

I believe that if TSA checkpoints were turned into 100% NCIC or CJIS checks, the number of false arrests would go way up simply because of the probabilities.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentff
I hypothesize that one of the key reasons such false positive arrests are so rare is that LEOs generally don't set up arbitrary checkpoints on public street corners, at stadiums, or at airports and run 100% of passers-by through NCIC or CJIS.

I believe that if TSA checkpoints were turned into 100% NCIC or CJIS checks, the number of false arrests would go way up simply because of the probabilities.
That is an excellent point.

I actually thought that we were answering Boggie Dog's specific question about RS needed for an NCIC check but (s)he wasn't liking the answer.
You were, but I think there was confusion about detention to run someone through NCIC vs. running someone through NCIC without a detention.

Last edited by Ari; Apr 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
You were, but I think there was confusion about detention to run someone through NCIC vs. running someone through NCIC without a detention.

I think there is some confusion over what I did or did not understand about running a persons name through NCIC.

The statement that I found objectionable and still do was this:

I don't need PC......I just need RS to run you.....and my RS is that I was called to a situation and I want to know who you are......and if you have had issues with the law before....
The practice as stated above may be permissible but in my mind a poor practice. I do not see any way the RS standards are reach just by being called by TSA.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think there is some confusion over what I did or did not understand about running a persons name through NCIC.

The statement that I found objectionable and still do was this:

The practice as stated above may be permissible but in my mind a poor practice. I do not see any way the RS standards are reach just by being called by TSA.
The statement you are finding objectionable is not quite correct. RS is not needed at all to run someone in NCIC. RS is needed if the officer is detaining you for the purpose of running you through NCIC or any other purpose. That said an officer is given a certain amount of latitude by the courts to investigate a situation that he or she is called to. This is the premise of an investigative detention. The detention must be for a reasonable amount of time (which is NOT defined by the court) but the officer must be able to show (the court at a later time) that the investigation is progressing. Once the progress of that investigation stagnant or goes stale the officer must release the subject.

FB
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:17 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Firebug4
The statement you are finding objectionable is not quite correct. RS is not needed at all to run someone in NCIC. RS is needed if the officer is detaining you for the purpose of running you through NCIC or any other purpose. That said an officer is given a certain amount of latitude by the courts to investigate a situation that he or she is called to. This is the premise of an investigative detention. The detention must be for a reasonable amount of time (which is NOT defined by the court) but the officer must be able to show (the court at a later time) that the investigation is progressing. Once the progress of that investigation stagnant or goes stale the officer must release the subject.

FB
And, you should stress, said investigative detention requires reasonable suspicion. Are you saying that because TSA calls a law enforcement officer, that the officer has reasonable suspicion re: the passenger BEFORE the officer himself investigates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.