Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another nightmare at PHX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
I reported this on Daily Kos here. That's a more general website, but it will help get some exposure to this outside the FT group.
I've posted the link to this story on Twitter, and I've seen several other Tweets with the same link.

I just saw a Tweet with a link to a Daily Kos story, as well, so it was picked up already.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:23 pm

I tweeted it a couple of hours ago, and just noted the Daily Kos post. Seriously, the TSA oughta know they're universally hated when their abuses are reported by such diverse communities as Kos and the tea party folks.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Good heavens, he didn't last too long in the position now, did he?

I am assuming you are in Japan so it's probably difficult for you to call. Let's all see if we can find e-mail addresses for the individuals mentioned in N965VJ's post.
A saw a listing for a FSD as PHX on USAJOBS like a month ago, so I'm guessing they're are in the process of replacing him. Give another 10 or 11 months and they just might! For another few months.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:01 pm

I haven't read anything mentioning the terminal at PHX where this happened. If anyone has seen it, please post that. Bet this was at #4, the bane of PHX. I truly despise transiting PHX, but I avoid terminals 3 and 4 at all costs. I've had minor problems in #2, but not like #3 and 4.

I'll pay more to fly on airlines NOT leaving from those two terminals. I just paid $65 more to go out of Terminal 2 on my next flight. That's how much I hate the hassle of that airport's major terminals. If gas drops in price again, I'll just *gasp* drive the 1500 miles each way and be done with it.

My brother drove the last time, just to avoid the same hassle. Mom wonders why we don't visit more often. Here's the truth: that airport. We just can't get the extra time off to drive each time. We'll just not go, rather than put up with the PHX TSAs. If I wanted to get treated like a criminal, have my belongings searched and stolen, and get practically molested just because I need to get home, I would have moved to a Communist country. I expect to hear 'Papers, please' any day now.

It's sad that PHX just showed the rest of the world how dumb US employees can be... calling a Chinese interpreter for a Japanese national? I've seen those forms. They clearly state 'Japan.' There are Japanese translators available. There's a sizable Japanese presence in Arizona.

Do something that dumb in Seattle and I guarantee you'll never get any job in this city again, even asking 'do you want fries with that'... nobody wants to hire someone that stupid!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:23 pm

That was me doing the Daily Kos posting, I've done a number of them over there.

Originally Posted by Isobel
I tweeted it a couple of hours ago, and just noted the Daily Kos post. Seriously, the TSA oughta know they're universally hated when their abuses are reported by such diverse communities as Kos and the tea party folks.
The site is pretty much a bunch of complete leftists, and you get your odd TSA true believer, but to my observation the general rule is that TSA is regarded as having gone way too far.

The Kossacks, as they call themselves, do differ from the Tea Party in that they generally don't believe that privatization of the security function would make any difference, and I think that unionization of TSA is generally supported.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by vs_itsallgood
We'll just not go, rather than put up with the PHX TSAs.

Do something that dumb in Seattle and I guarantee you'll never get any job in this city again...
Drive to TUS ?

And I wouldn't be too sure about SEA, there are some checkpoint thugs here too.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
I've posted this before in this forum but it may be worthwhile posting again so that these transgressions don't go under-reported.

TSA relies on the lack of a singular complaint forum to document their abuses. As it stands they are the sole arbiter of these disputes and the passenger always loses. Until there is a central body compiling these reports the numbers will continue to appear artificially low.

Your Congressman, by phone, email and letter. Do all three https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Both of your US senators, by phone, email and letter.
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...m.cfm?State=PA

The Airline you traveled on, in writing and by phone

Your local newspapers & TV stations.

National publications sympathetic to TSA complaints: The Washington Post [email protected] /The Huffington Post/ NY Times/NY Post/USA Today [email protected] Check for writers email addresses and contact directly.

DHS OIG [email protected]. 1-800-323-8603
DHS Office of Inspector General/MAIL STOP 2600
Attention: Office of Investigations - Hotline
245 Murray Drive, SW, Building 410
Washington, DC 20528
Fax 202-254-4292.

USTA http://www.ustravel.org/government-a...r-travel-voice

Association for Airline Passenger Right http://www.flyfriendlyskies.com/

EPIC http://epic.org/

The Rutherford Institute http://www.rutherford.org/

ACLU https://secure.aclu.org/site/SPageNa...avel_Complaint

TSA Hotline (866) 289-9673 http://www.tsa.gov
This is probably as useless as complaining to Al Qaeda about terrorism but is a negative metric in TSA records.

I hope this is helpful.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
I've posted the link to this story on Twitter, and I've seen several other Tweets with the same link.

I just saw a Tweet with a link to a Daily Kos story, as well, so it was picked up already.
Originally Posted by Isobel
I tweeted it a couple of hours ago, and just noted the Daily Kos post.
PM me you name on Twitter and I'll follow you
...........(or see my link below \/.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Link to article with similar experience

Just saw the following on
"http://www.airportbusiness.com/publication/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=43760"
Is this endless or what?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by Exleftseat; Mar 30, 2011 at 5:21 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Drive to TUS ?
We've thought about that, but on the exact dates of my April flight the tix came in at nearly 2x the cost of PHX and the rental cars actually cost more due to the more limited selection in Tucson, notwithstanding the lack of that nearly 100% facility tax PHX has going.

Case in point: $132 7-day rental, PLUS $107 in facility taxes and fees. Somebody's gotta pay for that fancy stadium they built to host the Superbowl, and that off-site rental car lot. They're building one in SEA. Ugh.

Even without that facility fee thing, I couldn't get a car anywhere near $132 in Tucson, and most people don't know that renting a car off-site from an airport in Arizona is now a living nightmare due to the crackdown on illegals renting cars. Lots of questions - they want to annoy you so you'll just go to the airport to get your car and pay the $$$. Two IDs are mandatory. No 2nd ID? No car. (Rent at airport without a ticket? HA. I've never been asked, but if you get asked and don't have a ticket/BP/receipt, no car.)

I have a passport, but to get to the off-site Budget, Hertz, or Enterprise locations in Peoria I'd have to take a shuttle, at $65 r/t. It's not worth the $30 savings (after tips) to deal with that. There used to be reliable hourly public bus service to that area, but after budget cuts that's now a 4-hour trip on 5 different buses and light rail/shuttles. Mom doesn't drive (thank your deity), so she can't come pick us up.

We keep trying to get Mom to move... maybe we'll succeed. Then again, she's 85 and we've been trying for most of the last 15 years. I think we're out of luck!

I saw this thread and immediately told my brother (telecommuting is wonderful). He rolled his eyes and mentioned it didn't surprise him; some of what we've seen out of PHX would make a book's worth of horror stories, and that's just Terminal 4!

I hope this doesn't make travelers avoid the US (not just Arizona), but I'll bet it sure won't help.

Last edited by vs_itsallgood; Mar 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm Reason: typos+typos
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:48 pm
Suspended

I hope this doesn't make travelers avoid the US (not just Arizona), but I'll bet it sure won't help.
On the contrary, I hope it does. I want the tourist economy to tank. I want the hotels to be mostly empty. I want no lines at Disney because no one wants to get raped by the TSA at Orlando.

Maybe then the powerful people who depend on tourism tax dollars to remain unhanged will do something about these STASI wannabees.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

I received a reply to my inquiry from :
Jeff Foland, ASC
Security Superintendent
Operations Division

Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl Airport
3300 East Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
(602) 273-2766
www.phxskyharbor.com/airportsecurity

"The current FSD for PHX is Heather Callahan <[email protected]>"

Pls make a note of it if needed.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I haven't read anything mentioning the terminal at PHX where this happened. If anyone has seen it, please post that. Bet this was at #4, the bane of PHX. I truly despise transiting PHX, but I avoid terminals 3 and 4 at all costs. I've had minor problems in #2, but not like #3 and 4.

I'll pay more to fly on airlines NOT leaving from those two terminals. I just paid $65 more to go out of Terminal 2 on my next flight. That's how much I hate the hassle of that airport's major terminals. If gas drops in price again, I'll just *gasp* drive the 1500 miles each way and be done with it.

My brother drove the last time, just to avoid the same hassle. Mom wonders why we don't visit more often. Here's the truth: that airport. We just can't get the extra time off to drive each time. We'll just not go, rather than put up with the PHX TSAs. If I wanted to get treated like a criminal, have my belongings searched and stolen, and get practically molested just because I need to get home, I would have moved to a Communist country. I expect to hear 'Papers, please' any day now.

It's sad that PHX just showed the rest of the world how dumb US employees can be... calling a Chinese interpreter for a Japanese national? I've seen those forms. They clearly state 'Japan.' There are Japanese translators available. There's a sizable Japanese presence in Arizona.
It was the UA, CO, AS terminal. Is it T3?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
"The current FSD for PHX is Heather Callahan
It's not often that someone's career path is profiled in a major market newspaper; please keep us abreast of your interactions with Ms. Callahan.

Moving up in a down economy
For the ambitious, entry-level jobs are far from a dead end

By Katie Johnston Chase
Globe Staff / September 12, 2010

When Heather Callahan started working for the Transportation Security Administration screening passengers at Logan International Airport in 2002, she looked at the airport’s deputy federal security director and thought: “I wonder why I can’t have his job?’’

Six years later, she did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.